News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?

Started by JWH, November 26, 2018, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX2259

There is far more room in an original 289 Cobra than a 427 Cobra and the seating position itself is more normal than in a 427 Cobra that has you twisted to the left to make room for the larger engine next to your feet. As a matter of fact the 289 Cobra has so much more room that there is a dead pedal fitted in the foot box to rest your left foot on.
I have converted both the aluminum and fiberglass bodied 289 based Continuation Series Cobras to the correct 289 foot boxes, it's not an easy conversion but it very worthwhile once done.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I can't fit in them well, but I'd drive it every day if I had one
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Quote from: CSX2259 on November 27, 2018, 11:06:03 AM
There is far more room in an original 289 Cobra than a 427 Cobra and the seating position itself is more normal than in a 427 Cobra that has you twisted to the left to make room for the larger engine next to your feet. As a matter of fact the 289 Cobra has so much more room that there is a dead pedal fitted in the foot box to rest your left foot on.
I have converted both the aluminum and fiberglass bodied 289 based Continuation Series Cobras to the correct 289 foot boxes, it's not an easy conversion but it very worthwhile once done.

I was able to have a dead pedal built for my Kirkham 427.  Still have to dance on your toes for the pedals, but it's nice to have a foot rest.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on November 27, 2018, 10:08:22 AM
we have no opposums....lol

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 27, 2018, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on November 27, 2018, 09:01:32 AM
all we can say they are certainly beautiful and we will leave it at that....

Everything is relative. Another opposum thinks there is nothing better looking then another opposum.

The last one I had was hanging upside down by it's tail pulling the garbage can cover off with it's hands. I thought I had run into Dracula?

"Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be disappointed"
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

amen my brother and many blessings!

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 27, 2018, 12:15:40 PM

Everything is relative. Another opposum thinks there is nothing better looking then another opposum.

The last one I had was hanging upside down by it's tail pulling the garbage can cover off with it's hands. I thought I had run into Dracula?

I have all UNGOLD cars

aCMXCVIIIer

Well, there was the Nygaard mod, which I took advantage on my 289 Cobra.  John and Paul Nygaard were the original co-owners of CSX2577, which they regularly raced until the late '60s, mostly in Arizona.   They were both well over 6' tall.  Their fix was to take a BFH and whack in the rear fender behind the driver's seat.  This allowed the seat to move back a few more inches and added a bit more leg room.

R

CSX2259

Here is what a 289 Cobra foot box would look like, it has an oversized dead pedal installed.

ITHERTZ

The biggest problem for me is the 16" steering wheel and drop dash in respect to leg/knee room.  I can work around a tight foot box, but if there is no place for my knee to go, what's a guy to do?  I'm 6'2" and was able to make myself drive an original CSX 2000 car by first removing my shoes and abducting my hips as much as possible.  I made it work. I wouldn't be able to do it for more than an hour.

I have experienced more room in my 427 ERA replica cars.  A part of that is the dash and a few mods ERA has figured out along the way to get the most room possible while maintaining the original wheelbase.  I have the most room in my ERA FIA car with the comp dash (no drop dash) configuration.  Best of both worlds. 

aCMXCVIIIer

One other factor that I suspect made life easier for the Nygaards and most likely Gurney and other taller competition drivers were the comp seats.  The stock street were fairly thick and cushiony while the comps were thin and without cushioning.

R

Love them marsupials
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

indeed, tasty

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on November 27, 2018, 07:27:10 PM

Love them marsupials

I have all UNGOLD cars

I got a can of that for Christmas a few years back

FL SAAC

steve canned will do in a bind, but nothing beats fresh road kill...
let's drop this and go back to the topic at hand...how tall can a driver be in a original cobra? only mickey knows...

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on November 27, 2018, 07:57:40 PM
I got a can of that for Christmas a few years back

I have all UNGOLD cars