Author Topic: Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?  (Read 9863 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Re: Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
If anyone wants to “loan” me a real Cobra for a few weeks , I’ll test how wide a foot will fit. I wear a size 10 5E left shoe and a 6E right shoe
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »
Is your right foot wider from all those years of standing on the throttle real hard?

If so, bravo!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
Three positions, idle, wide open and cruise. Foot is usually only used for two of the three positions  8)
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:38 AM »
at last the answer has been found.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
Not sure what all the complaining is about. I'm 6'2" and have enjoyed 289 and 427 Cobras since '72. Never felt uncomfortable, even on the 1000-mile tours we still participate in.   :)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
Not sure what all the complaining is about. I'm 6'2" and have enjoyed 289 and 427 Cobras since '72. Never felt uncomfortable, even on the 1000-mile tours we still participate in.   :)

We don't call you the pretzel for nothing.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »

OK, so I left out the fact that the inseam on my jeans is 22" and my torso is abnormally long... Next, just ask me how I like the convertible top.  :D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »

OK, so I left out the fact that the inseam on my jeans is 22" and my torso is abnormally long... Next, just ask me how I like the convertible top.  :D

I think it is the cold wind in your face that is supposed to snap one back into reality from the effect of the farfegnugen of driving a Cobra?

I personally use racing shoes to eliminate the smell of the cooking chicken from my sneakers glue melting. Problem solved.

Lee Weinstein used to wear this pilots helmet. Solved the problem of where you put the stereo speakers.

The doctors says everyones spine is slighly twisted one way or the other, so it just depends on if you are a passenger or driver as to which way? Why worry?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 07:10:51 AM »

Having grown up driving MGA's, Sprites, etc. the Cobra doesn't seem all that small. Although retaining upper and lower flexibility is a key in getting in and out.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »

Having grown up driving MGA's, Sprites, etc. the Cobra doesn't seem all that small. Although retaining upper and lower flexibility is a key in getting in and out.

The only conclusion that I could come to was to climb head first out of my XKE? My Pantera would prefer that the driver be surgically altered to better fit the foot/leg combination of the driver seat.
If you have about 4-5 inches removed from your left leg, you can get out foot first. Otherwise when you park the car, wait until there is no one watching, then just come out head first.

Euro sports cars are all the same. All designed for the S&M group. That's why black leather is so prevalent in them.

Who else would describe this as fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JUVpbuJEfQ

No pipe or boots for me. Split the jacket right up the back though?  8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:39:50 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
Drivers were obviously shorter back in the fifties and sixties.  My leafspring Kirkham has a pair of original sixties seat runners with accurate replica seats (Hawk), and footboxes and dash scrupulously correct for a COB6*** along with a 16" Motolita wheel.  I'm comfortable in it but my mates generally have to peer over the top of the screen.  I have a '67 Land Rover and a '68 Cooper S, both of which I fit fine but with no room to spare.  My XK140 DHC is a rather snug fit.

There are some advantages to being 5'8" after all!

Roger

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
In '72 I "interviewed" with a US Navy (Flight) Commander for a position as a Navy fighter pilot. As I walked in, he said nothing and just shook his head. He said, "nope...no way. You can fly for us but not in a fighter jet. You'll never fit. It's not like a car where you can adjust the seats?"

I said but "I can drive a 427 Cobra...I just stick over the top a little". He just smiled and said, "I heard a lot of good things about you, you still interested and handed me a pen." He out ranked me so I couldn't say anything like, "hey, I don't want to fly the mail truck"? Smartass that I am, I almost said it too? Jee-se!

He was tall too but slight like Shelby, Jimmy Stewart type. Typical of US pilots at the time.

You could see me and McCain duking it out right? Just as well? I'd be trouble. Seasickness...you know? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1bigfish

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
Buy a MkIV

1bigfish

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2019, 07:41:29 AM »
Buy a MkIV