Author Topic: Anyone recognize this Cobra Kit? Craig's List  (Read 1526 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Anyone recognize this Cobra Kit? Craig's List
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/1965-ford-cobra-replica/6755844563.html

It was featured on an episode of the Velocity Channel's show Fantomworks.  Wow, is it looking a little long in the tooth or what?

1965 Ford Cobra Replica - $75000 (Norfolk, VA)

If you are the shy or introverted type, PLEASE GO LOOK AT OTHER CARS! This unique Factory Five Racing Roadster will not be able to change your personality. But it WILL make you FEEL LIKE A ROCKSTAR WITHOUT THE LONG-HAIRED WIG! I designed the custom vinyl wrap and went to AG Wraps in Chesapeake, Virginia for the expert execution. The wrap was covered with 2 gallons of clearcoat just prior to the filming of the Velocity Network/Fantomworks show, and I have not touched it since. This car is easy to maintain - it has been driven, not shown. Even so, it will get more attention than you would have ever thought possible...

Originally built in 2002, it underwent a complete body off rebuild in 2007, using all new, state of the art parts with work accomplished by Larry Casey and Fred Kelley, noted Maryland FFR builders and racers. It was a familiar competitor on the Washington DC area autocross circuit, posting several top 25 finishes at Cumberland and top five finishes at Capital Driving Club events in 2008. The last owner noted that with a better driver it would certainly have been a podium finisher. The body was removed again during my tenure in order to strengthen the fiberglass shell, add a passenger-side roll bar, a Kirkey bucket, an intercom, and topped off with the vinyl wrap.

It is extremely well balanced, corner weighted, with a 54-46% weight distribution. New Konis, and all rubber suspension bushings on control arms and IRS knuckles have been replaced with race quality Teflon rod end or spherical bearings, among many other details too numerous to mention.

The car is fully street legal; it was always driven to events by the last owner, never trailered. It is currently "replica titled" in Virginia as a 1965 Ford. Despite being well sorted for competition, it is an extremely reliable and mannerly cruiser. With a non-temperamental EFI 5.0, stainless steel brake plumbing and aircraft quality wiring, it is designed for and delivers bulletproof operation in all weather. It is a joy to drive on the street or highway. The Gas N stainless side pipes not only look great, they have a nice mellow tone at highway speeds and pop like mad when downshifting to a stop. It gets about 20 mpg on the highway in 5th gear; 84mph seems to be the sweet spot.

The car is priced to move for far less than I have in it, because I am retiring, moving to the country, and need a tractor! This car needs little to nothing additional in order to be a competitive auto crosser. As it sits, it's a reliable, jump in and go anywhere cruiser. I am not in a financial bind to just keep this car. If you don't mind paying Amazon $2 for the Velocity Channel/Fantomworks video, you can see why I have become rather fond of it.

Take advantage of all the time, care and money that have been invested in this car and live the Factory Five Racing dream for a fraction of what it cost the last 3 owners to create. The lily has been gilded....and then re-gilded...

The car is currently in Virginia; I will bring it to Texas either when it sells or when my Norfolk home sells, whichever comes firsts.

Some backstory on the car:
http://www.fantomworks.com/project/1965-shelby-cobra/

Pictures of recent underbody painting/preservation (spring 2018):
https://outlaws.smugmug.com/Customer-Cars/Ford/2002-Factory-Five-Roadster/

The Fantomworks episodes used to be free online, but I guess you gotta pay now:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3833458/?ref_=ttep_ep2

Drivetrain
Mustang 5.0 EFI --Dynoed at 280 rwhp before head swap
NOTE: I was not provided any specifics on this 5.0L Mustang Motor. When I bought the car in 12/08 it had 13,230 miles on the odometer; at 17,634 miles on the clock the original speedo cable bit the dust and I decided to upgrade to a GPS head unit - which of course began life at 0.0 miles. As of 11/23 this new speedo has clocked 1907 miles. Adding those together, I am going out on a limb to say the entire vehicle has accumulated 19,541 miles since it was built in 2002.

1993 Crane 1.7 roller rockers
1993 Cobra cam (lots of low end grunt) (F3ZE-CA)
Ford Racing aluminum GT-40 "X" heads
Ford Racing SFI rated harmonic balancer
PA Performance 90 amp 3G alternator
MSD Billet Distributor
March 3-point billet pulleys and brackets
Flex-A-Lite "Black Magic Extreme" radiator fan and full shroud, with electronic thermal controller
Quality Roadsters Canton oil pan (no cross member "bump!")
World T-5Z 5 speed manual transmission
Pro 5.0 short throw shifter
King Cobra clutch
Forte's clutch fork spacer
Billet "detent" style firewall adjuster and billet clutch quadrant

Exhaust
FFR 4 into 4 headers
Gas - N Performance T-304 polished stainless steel side pipes

Fuel Delivery
Mustang fuel tank
Braided stainless feed and return lines all the way from tank to regulator and back, -8 AN feed, -6 AN return
Bosch in-line electric fuel pump mounted on custom brackets to frame tube; Aeromotive billet in-line filter
24 lb Ford Racing injectors
75 mm MAF
65 mm throttle body
Billet fuel rails with pressure gauge mounted

Brakes
Jeep master cylinder
Stainless steel hardlines. Brakes replumbed in 2007 by Larry Casey, Casey Design
Front - Cobra "Anniversary edition" 2-piston PBR calipers. Rotors & pads replaced by Fantomworks; I do
not have info handy on these but they will definitely stop the car.
Rear - Late-Model Cobra hubs, rear single piston calipers. Rotors & pads replaced by Fantomworks; I do
not have info handy on these but again the car stops fine.
Stainless braided brake lines
Maximum Motorsports manual geometry brake pedal and arm

Front Suspension and Steering
True 1994 SN-95 spindles
SPC upper control arms (2008)
Howe Precision NASCAR upper ball joints
Whitby SAI mod
Koni single adjustable shocks
VPM swaybar (mounts welded)
"Fast Freddie's" custom ¾" Teflon bearing FFR rod-end tubular front control arms
Forte's aluminum steering rack bushings
Forte's bump steer kit
Flaming River quick ratio manual rack 3.3 turns lock to lock
15" FFR padded leather racing steering wheel

Rear Suspension and Final Drive
FFR independent rear suspension (IRS)
Forte's adjustable IRS upper and lower control arms
"Fast Freddie's/Casey Design" custom CNC machined IRS knuckles with spherical bearings
Koni single adjustable shocks
VPM solid IRS pumpkin mounts
IRS 8.8" iron center section
Trak Loc Limited slip differential
3:55 Ford Racing final gears
Heavy duty DBRUS half shafts
VPM rear swaybar
Drive shaft safety loop (bracket welded in, but loop bolts on for ease of servicing)

Chassis Mods
"315" mod - Rear wheelwell steel reworked to accommodate 315 tires on 10.5" rims, as on the Mark III kits;
fabrication and welding by Larry Casey, Casey Design
Cockpit door sill X-bracing - ¾" braces welded in, as in Mark IIIs; adds stiffness; also by Casey

Life Safety
Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seats with covers
Roll bars for both seats
Crow Camlock 5 point harnesses
Finish Line Lucas style windshield wipers
Functional parking brake (relocated from original position in the passenger foot well)

Electronics and Wiring
Ron Francis switches
1 gauge welding cable battery/starter cables
FF Metal battery box in trunk
Optima Redtop battery
FF Metal underside dash cover

Tires
Sumitomo 255/40R17's in front; 315/35R17's in the rear

Cosmetic/Comfort
Chrome overriders front and rear
Custom vinyl wrap. Artwork designed by Clay Riales; executed by AG Wraps in Chesapeake, VA
Autometer "Traditional Chrome" gauges, except Autometer GPS Speedometer
Competition-style dash
Offroad-style intercom system (ICS) has mini-usb port for your phone & music, etc.
Car Cover
Custom welded hood hinge assembly
3 removable faux things in the nose that I can't mention on Craigslist... [/color]
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognize this Cobra Kit? Craig's List
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
I saw it on one of those Discovery Channel Build-a-car type shows.

That just proves money doesn't buy you taste.

TGI FORD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »
I heard Austin Powers lost it and wants it back.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:51:59 AM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:57:19 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0