News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 heater box replacement

Started by charlie D, November 27, 2018, 07:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie D

I think I did a post on this awhile ago, but here I am again. I started off thinking all I needed to do was replace the heater core which was leaking. Little did I know when I started how much disassembly was required to get to it. Once in, the box was rusted and full of mouse nest stink so I decided to replace the whole thing including the duct hoses. For the life of me I cannot get the heater box up high enough to have the blower motor fit thru the firewall opening. the Ford manual has it going back in one piece. I am tempted to take the clips off so the box is in two pieces, fit it up and just get what clips I can reach to refit the other half back on and be done with it. Maybe reach some tape onto where I cannot refit the clips.  I have removed pretty much anything that was in the way including the glove box, side kick panel, under dash instrument pod, radio and radio bezel, and the front seats. I mention this because I have allowed as much room as possible to get the job done. Any suggestions appreciated.

JWH

Here is the link to your original post:
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3379.msg29701#msg29701

Have you tried everything suggested? Again, having a second person under the hood to help pull the heater hoses through the firewall is almost a must, otherwise the hoses kink and you will not get the box to slide into place.

My struggle was the foam doughnut that goes between the box and the big opening in the cowl.

Just as I was getting it close, the two hoses would bind up on the fire wall.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on November 27, 2018, 12:54:33 PM
My struggle was the foam doughnut that goes between the box and the big opening in the cowl.

Just as I was getting it close, the two hoses would bind up on the fire wall.
Was that with one person or two?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Unfortunately, one, with the engine in the car.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on November 27, 2018, 03:57:57 PM
Unfortunately, one, with the engine in the car.
One person can be difficult. Two people is a lot easier. I don't know what kind of problem the OP is having that a person on ether side of the firewall (guiding hoses and heater motor threw)and a little jiggling of the box as it goes in couldn't solve. Installing without the clips is a big mistake IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

charlie D

Thanks to all for the responses. I finally managed to get it in place with some help on the engine bay side. Whoever said "they built the 67 Mustang around the heater" was right. Royal pain. Thanks again.

JWH

Great to hear you got 'er done. Congrats.