Author Topic: 1966 shelby GT350 'R' configuration For Sale  (Read 2463 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
1966 shelby GT350 'R' configuration For Sale
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »
Anyone know this car personally?  Pretty cool history.  Would you leave in the 'R' configuration or restore it back to a '66 Shelby?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/shelby/gt350/1865346.html#&gid=1&pid=22

Stock #: FJ1993
Mileage: 57,964
Exterior: White with Blue Stripes
Interior: Black

Seller’s Description:

This car is currently not at Fantasy Junction but can be viewed by appointment

1966 Shelby American GT350
s/n SFM 6S342
White with Black Interior

Nothing says American performance like Carroll Shelby. With his legendary Cobra LeMans winning bravado and Texas homespun charm Ford knew they could count on ol' Shel to deliver a genuinely high performance race ready variant of the already successful Mustang. The production GT350 was fast loud and exhilarating to drive a uniquely brawny American GT that was a match for almost any other machine on the road. But the production GT350 was a carefully planned compromise a streetable allowance toward the car Shelby intended to race – the GT350R the “R” signifying its racing specification.

The production GT350 suspension steering and brakes were already outfitted for SCCA competition but the R-model's K-code 289 powerplant needed work. R-model engines were built to order using blueprinting heads ported and polished by Valley Head Service Tri-Y headers by Cyclone a center-pivot-float Holley 715 CFM carburetor on a Cobra intake and flow-through side-exit exhaust. Outputs ranged from 325 to 360 horsepower on the Shelby dynamometer. Differential and engine oil coolers were added the latter necessitating the distinctive fiberglass front valence that distinguished the R-model. Plexiglas replaced the R-model's side and back windows the fenders were flared to accommodate wider Goodyear racing tires; a four-point roll bar was welded in and a quick-fill 37-gallon fuel tank was installed in the trunk. The GT350R was the full realization of Shelby's plan for a racing Mustang and it immediately dominated SCCA B-Production racing.

The GT350R instantly became the template for racers hoping to emulate Shelby's winning formula but unable to buy one of the 34 built by Shelby American. In 1966 Shelby knocked some of the rough edges off the production GT350 requiring more work to convert the street version to so-called “R spec” configuration. Still independent competition GT350s proliferated a few even springing up across the ocean in Britain and Europe. One of the most interesting of these is our featured offering a 1966 GT350 owned and raced by Swiss ace driver Herbert Müller from 1966 through the early 1970s. This GT-350 started life as a European export model shipped to Ford Advanced Vehicles in Slough England. Once in the UK it was modified with R-Model type racing equipment including a roll bar oil cooler 37-gallon fuel tank fiberglass front valence and American Racing Torque Thrust “D” alloy wheels. The icing on the cake however was the amazing engine; aWeber-inducted GT40 engine built by Holman-Moody.

The cherubic friendly Müller was the kind of fearless racer to whom the GT350 had instant appeal. Müller had become one of the most experienced and accomplished drivers in the world of sports and prototype racing by the time of his tragic death at the 1981 Nurburgring. He began his career in 1959 racing motorcycles and advancing to European hill climbs. Driving a series of Porsche GT racers he became especially successful in the FIA European Hill climb Championship winning the GT Championship in 1963. While his speed and grace behind the wheel was opening doors into international GT and endurance racing with Porsche Ferrari and Ford Müller also kept his hand in hill climbing often taking his son to weekend events in his 1966 GT350.

After his passing Müller's personal car collection sat dormant until 1985 when Ron Randolph a civil engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers in Frankfurt and an accomplished restorer of vintage sports cars learned of the Müller GT350 through exotic car dealer Auto Exclusive of Zurich Switzerland whom Müller's son had asked to broker its sale. First Randolph had to convince the young man that he would properly care for the car. Randolph later recounted the occasion: “When I told him I planned to restore it completely take good care of it and race it in historic events in Europe he thought it over then reluctantly decided to sell it. He had an attachment to the car because his father took him to races in it and then raced it and then they would return home in it. Those were the days when you could drive your racecar to the track. So the car was part of the family. But Müller's son obviously liked the idea of the car returning to racing instead of sitting around in the garage.”

After years of storage the car remained solid but needed to be completely rebuilt a task that took Randolph and his friend Rich Bard over 600 hours to complete. They stripped it down to bare metal repainting it in the original Wimbledon White with Guards Blue stripes before rebuilding the entire car. Randolph: “We worked in the (USAFB) Rheine-Main Auto Craft Shop right from the beginning where we disassembled most of the car went down to bare metal on the underbody stripped off all the old paint – everything. I rebuilt the engine reworked the body where necessary along with the suspension brakes and everything else. We also sanded the body down for painting; it's a complete restoration job.”

Randolph completed the car in time for the August 1986 Nurburgring Historic race. Electrical gremlins kept it from lapping the storied German circuit on that first outing but Randolph subsequently raced the car regularly before displaying it at the Nurburgring Race Car Museum and then lending it to Peter Kaus' famous Rosso Bianco Collection in Aschaffenburg Germany in 1988. It remained there for 18 years before Randolph once again assumed its care and maintenance.

Shelby serial number SFM6S342 the Müller GT350 remains configured as it was when delivered by Ford Advanced Vehicles retaining the Holman-Moody-built GT40 engine. It is best described as having an honest top-tier driver presentation inside and out and is in outstanding mechanical order. Serial number SFM6S342 is officially listed as an Independent GT350 Racer in the Shelby Registry and is offered with extensive supporting documentation including contemporary news articles a copy of the invoice from Shelby American to Ford Advanced Vehicles and a copy of the letter from Auto Exclusive to Ron Randolph confirming the Müller estate's interest in selling the car.

Recent mechanical work has been performed with all parts sources from Cobra Automotive including new fuel lines with 4 banjos replaced driver's seat replaced (former one retained and included with the spares) front brake calipers rebuilt with new wheel cylinders using Porterfield rear shoes and front pads (former pads in spares) engine mounts replaced new Tru-Trac posi-differential with new ring and pinion axle bearings replaced with new seals and new Optima battery. A nut and bolt “Race Prep” has been done on the car and all systems are operating as expected.

Today SFM6S342 remains as one of the most thoughtfully prepared Shelby Mustangs outfitted with R type features and documented period racing history. Cosmetic condition is very nice overall with suitable racing patina echoing use and preservation consistent with dedicated enthusiast ownership. Paint remains very nice overall with some chips due to road use and good chrome overall. Care has been given to retain proper engine fittings and finishes without compromising use. Interior is in excellent condition featuring Carroll Shelby glovebox signature fire extinguisher and rear seat delete panels. Undercarriage is in very nice condition overall with most finishes as originally specified from the factory allowing some concessions for modern safety and improved use.

SFM6S342 is offered with a massive documentation binder outlining Müller's racing exploits (mainly in Porsches) photos of the body restoration process showing excellent structural integrity documentation from Auto Exclusive in Switzerland regarding the sale in 1985 to Ron Randolph and newspaper articles outlining the car's history with Randolph and before. It is also offered with a second set of wheels and an extra engine block and single head among other minor yet helpful spares.

With its unique racing history European and American provenance and highly desirable Holman-Moody built GT40 engine this Independent Competition GT350 remains a refined and capable example of Carroll Shelby's vision for building a competitive American performance car. It is eligible for many prestigious events around the globe and with its interesting early competition history will surely enjoy heightened acceptability over standard converted street GT350s.

Pricing flexibility exists for offers with a close prior to or during December of 2016.

Price: $265,000
Seller Info:
Fantasy Junction

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 shelby GT350 'R' configuration For Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
To my uneducated eyes, it isn't all the way "R", but having said that, I would love to own it and keep it the way it sits.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Yeah looks like a great car for the track
Nice
6S373
6S1276

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
Leave it. Car has race history and day 2 mods that make it unique. Too many cookie cutter trailer queens today.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
I know this car. I photographed it a few years back during SAAC 35. I fly home to the west coast day after tomorrow on Thursday 29th. I'll have to go check it out at Fantasy Junction in Emeryville over by Pixar Studios. It's probably on their display floor.

Cheers
~Earl J

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:11 AM »
Yes, know this car personaly from it staying in the Rosss Bianco collection. Had been in touch with Muellers son Daniel and Robert de la Rive Box, who was the swiss dealer who sold it to Ron.
Actually when the Rosso Bianco collection was dissolved upon closing of the museum in Aschaffenburg, I asked if Ron had gotten those news. He had not even been notified yet by the R.B. museum (probably since Ron had returned to the US in the meantime), so he was happy to hear the news and claimed ownership immediately with the agents, before the collection got mostly sold to a museum in the Netherland and several cars being auctioned off.

Here is a pic of its first appearance at the Ring after the restoration out of R.de la Rive Box book.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
    Wolfgang,
       Who modified the scoop opening? I assume it is for more clearance above the Webers. "To me'' it sticks out like a sore thumb.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
I know this car. I photographed it a few years back during SAAC 35. I fly home to the west coast day after tomorrow on Thursday 29th. I'll have to go check it out at Fantasy Junction in Emeryville over by Pixar Studios. It's probably on their display floor.

From the ad

Seller’s Description:
This car is currently not at Fantasy Junction but can be viewed by appointment
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tag031

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
I inquired about this car a few months ago and told the vehicle is located in Long Island NY. Can be viewed there by appointment.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
    Wolfgang,
       Who modified the scoop opening? I assume it is for more clearance above the Webers. "To me'' it sticks out like a sore thumb.
      Randy
Need to review my notes, what Rob told me, but I think from memory, he offered Ron two cars, this one was the worse one (since raced) by Herbert Mueller. I took a pic from the opening back then with a flash, because I was interested in that detail as well. Seemed to be there was enough space, but then equal volumetric airstream may have required additional space.
I had no information on the restoration itself, but Ron could certainly answer himself, if he is still around?

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
Another frontal shot of the engines underside back then in the RB museum. Seems there was little space downward and upward left:-)

The ad today says a HM build GT40 engine was installed early on.