News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

WTB 67-68 Original 10 spoke aluminum rims

Started by TGI FORD, November 27, 2018, 11:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGI FORD

I have a 68KR that needs a set of 4 10 spoke aluminum rims and I would prefer to not go with reproductions.  I don't mind some cleanup and resto but don't care to do a major overhaul on them.  I also don't need the tires but you can leave them on if they come that way.  Please email me at don@advancedsolar.com if you have any for sale.  please send pics too.  thanks, Don

Coralsnake

I am sorry, but I can't help myself. You do realize KRs never came with 10 spokes right?  It is your choice, but wanted you to be armed with that information. Also original 67 and 68 are different and original 67 wheels will not fit over 1968 brake calipers.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 28, 2018, 06:59:04 AM
I am sorry, but I can't help myself. You do realize KRs never came with 10 spokes right?  It is your choice, but wanted you to be armed with that information. Also original 67 and 68 are different and original 67 wheels will not fit over 1968 brake calipers.

Someone needs to break the bad news. It might as well be you?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

There should be a good supply of ten spokes now that we have most people straightened out  ;D

PR

Good luck with search, one of my car had them when I got it the other had hubcaps, I always like the 10 spoke look too, so I looked for another set, my 10 spokes are both the early Shelby over the counter, they have the tapered spoke but the air stem is between the spokes ,the only difference from original, most repos now have a straight spoke, it just doesn't look right, one set was touching the brake calipers so I used a grinder with a sanding flapper wheel on the calipers,problem solved, the other set fit fine, same wheels go figure, it's your car give it the look you like and stash the hubcaps and rims, they just keep going up in value

shelbydoug

Quote from: PR on November 28, 2018, 10:44:30 AM
Good luck with search, one of my car had them when I got it the other had hubcaps, I always like the 10 spoke look too, so I looked for another set, my 10 spokes are both the early Shelby over the counter, they have the tapered spoke but the air stem is between the spokes ,the only difference from original, most repos now have a straight spoke, it just doesn't look right, one set was touching the brake calipers so I used a grinder with a sanding flapper wheel on the calipers,problem solved, the other set fit fine, same wheels go figure, it's your car give it the look you like and stash the hubcaps and rims, they just keep going up in value

Hubcaps are too valuable to run on the car. They are either going to be stolen, dented or come flying off and kill someone. It isn't worth the risk.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

The 68 cars were the biggest buyers for original and reproduction 67 10 spokes in the past . The bottom has dropped out of the ten spoke market since we started a campaign to educate the un informed.  For instance  highest price I ever heard of for a restored set of tenspokes was 7900.00 .  You would be hard pressed to 2500 for a restored set now. Conversely the price of hubcaps and correct 15" steel wheels has sky rocketed because of demand . I can remember the days when you could not give away a nice original set of 68 hubcaps. The same goes for the steel wheels. There are always new and old owners alike that discover for the first time the historical facts about the hubcaps being original on the cars. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TGI FORD

Guys, I appreciate the feedback on the authenticity but this car is a long way from a thoroughbred, it was merged with a donor car years ago.  It's a great little car especially for the price but I would prefer the aluminum 10 spokes on this one.  Please let me know if you have a lead on any.  thanks, Don

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TGI FORD on November 29, 2018, 11:56:31 AM
Guys, I appreciate the feedback on the authenticity but this car is a long way from a thoroughbred, it was merged with a donor car years ago.  It's a great little car especially for the price but I would prefer the aluminum 10 spokes on this one.  Please let me know if you have a lead on any.  thanks, Don
Branda performance sells the repro ten spokes at a fair price.That is what the vast majority do especially now given realization that ten spokes were not original on the cars .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

10 spokes are not original but most prefer there looks over the hubcap look...