News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

C4ZE-G2 radiator for sale - Is it real?

Started by 6s1640, November 29, 2018, 02:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

There is a C4ZE-G2 January 1965 radiator on auction for some very serious money, but I don't think it is real.  I believe it was fabricated or cloned.  I am pretty sure all the early G2's had the C4ZE-G2 embossed into the top tank and this one appears to have an AMK tag soldered to the top of the top/strap like the later versions.    It could very well be a W-MO 1-65 radiator.  I expect the original part number may have been worked out for plans of putting a C4ZE-G2 tag on.  What do you think?  Is it real or Memorex?

Cory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-1965-Shelby-GT350-FoMoCo-WMO-C4ZE-G2-Assembly-Line-Original-Show-GO/292838292170?hash=item442e85baca:g:yXAAAOSw2~Nb~zIi:rk:1:pf:0

CharlesTurner

It would not be normal for a 1 65 stamped radiator to have a soldered tag on the side like that.  It should have a stamped top tank with C4ZE and the correct suffix per application.  The '1 65' looks like it might have originally been a '11 65', that someone removed a '1' from... note the offset of the date below 'W - MO' 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

SFM5S000

The correct G2 radiator will /should look like this (see pic). It's amazing what some folks try to pass off or get away with...

Cheers
~Earl J

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 29, 2018, 02:18:35 AM
Hi all,

There is a C4ZE-G2 January 1965 radiator on auction for some very serious money, but I don't think it is real.  I believe it was fabricated or cloned.  I am pretty sure all the early G2's had the C4ZE-G2 embossed into the top tank and this one appears to have an AMK tag soldered to the top of the top/strap like the later versions.    It could very well be a W-MO 1-65 radiator.  I expect the original part number may have been worked out for plans of putting a C4ZE-G2 tag on.  What do you think?  Is it real or Memorex?

Cory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-1965-Shelby-GT350-FoMoCo-WMO-C4ZE-G2-Assembly-Line-Original-Show-GO/292838292170?hash=item442e85baca:g:yXAAAOSw2~Nb~zIi:rk:1:pf:0
I agree  it is not original but something someone made up. Too early of a date for a soldered type tag. Plus the date code looks odd as Charles pointed out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Was thinking the same on the soldered tag and the date offset.
Dave - 6S1757

GT350Lad

Quote from: s2ms on November 29, 2018, 12:13:47 PM
Was thinking the same on the soldered tag and the date offset.

+1
The search continues for a real G2
6S373
6S1276

OldGuy

Here's couple pictures of real radiator tops. They look like the ones in the E pay add.

Frank

6s1640

Hi Frank,

Based on your first image, the auction rad could be a legit 1 65 date code.  Just not a G2.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: OldGuy on November 29, 2018, 03:44:26 PM
Here's couple pictures of real radiator tops. They look like the ones in the E pay add.
Frank

Guessing, though you didn't include a picture, that the 1 65 dated radiator top you posted had a identifier stamped in the top tank. Need to look at the whole thing rather than individual points only

Question would be IMHO is where would a unmarked (no identifier) top tank come from dated with that date?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 29, 2018, 04:24:35 PM
Frank

Guessing, though you didn't include a picture, that the 1 65 dated radiator top you posted had a identifier stamped in the top tank. Need to look at the whole thing rather than individual points only

Question would be IMHO is where would a unmarked (no identifier) top tank come from dated with that date?
I think one possibility would be that the top tank come from the metal finishers work bench that worked the top tank embossed area out flat.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Prior to this the earliest SJ radiator I have seen that did not have the C4ZE and identifier stamped in the top tank was dated 7 65.
Dave - 6S1757

6s1640

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 29, 2018, 04:41:32 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on November 29, 2018, 04:24:35 PM
Frank

I think one possibility would be that the top tank come from the metal finishers work bench that worked the top tank embossed area out flat.

+1

The auction ended.  Did someone call the seller on it?  Or did he see this thread and pull it?

Cory

camp upshur

Maybe someone bought it  :o

In all seriousness though, the value of a G2 top tank cover is approaching the area where I'm surprised we haven't seen a short-run of quality reproductions. I wouldn't doubt that 50-100+ couldn't be sold in short order.
I've only been looking for almost 45 years!

Bob Gaines

I have a high confidence level that someone let the seller know the deficiencies  ;) .

TLea

Quote from: s2ms on November 29, 2018, 05:56:33 PM
Prior to this the earliest SJ radiator I have seen that did not have the C4ZE and identifier stamped in the top tank was dated 7 65.
+1 I had a 7-65 with soldered tag (M2).  It wasn't easy to find. Seems previous restorer had original radiator disappear on him