Author Topic: Gulfstream Aqua stripe color  (Read 5355 times)

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Gulfstream Aqua stripe color
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:27:24 AM »
Is there any rhyme or reason as to which GSA cars got white stripes vs. gold ones?
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Gulfstream Aqua stripe color
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:27:57 AM »
Absolutely, when done correctly, always Gold

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:31:25 AM by Coralsnake »

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
Well, my Swedish friend Roland bought a 70 GT350 Convertible #1204, in 1981 and it was painted red with painted gold side stripes. Repaint had been done by a previous owner in the 70's. When Roland started the restoration he hand grinded off the red/gold paint and to his big surprise he found white side stripe plastic tape and gulfstrem aqua paint under the tape.   
Also, the 70 Shelby Brochure has a picture of a car that appears to be gulfstream aqua with white side stripes.
Roland's car a black convertible top and black interior.
Texas Swede

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
Thats great, but each color had a side stripe color assigned to it. It appears you have an exception, not something that was ordinary

Personally the car in the ad looks more like Acapulco Blue to me and I would not use it as a guide.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:24:53 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Thats great, but each color had a side stripe color assigned to it. It appears you have an exception, not something that was ordinary

Personally the car in the ad looks more like Acapulco Blue to me and I would not use it as a guide.
That is what I have always thought that it looked like Acapulco Blue.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
What color is the top car? Lower car is Acapulco blue. Also, Roland told me today the color in the brochure and
scanned in the computer is not an exact match. Roland's car after repaint looks more like the top picture.
Greenish tint to it. The reason he used the white stripe was what he found on his car though.

Texas Swede

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
This is an original 1970 350 with a gold stripe applied to the Gulfstream Aqua color.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Well, my Swedish friend Roland bought a 70 GT350 Convertible #1204, in 1981 and it was painted red with painted gold side stripes. Repaint had been done by a previous owner in the 70's. When Roland started the restoration he hand grinded off the red/gold paint and to his big surprise he found white side stripe plastic tape and gulfstrem aqua paint under the tape.   
Also, the 70 Shelby Brochure has a picture of a car that appears to be gulfstream aqua with white side stripes.
Roland's car a black convertible top and black interior.
Texas Swede

Gold Reflective Stripes usually turn White when being Photographed, especially when a Flash is used. 

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
What color is the top car? Lower car is Acapulco blue. Also, Roland told me today the color in the brochure and
scanned in the computer is not an exact match. Roland's car after repaint looks more like the top picture.
Greenish tint to it. The reason he used the white stripe was what he found on his car though.

Texas Swede

The Top Shelby looks to be Grabber Green.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Those images could have been easily changed during printing or production of the ad. I think its pointless to try to match the color of a 50 year old ad to an existing color

A Gulfstream car could have received a white stripe. They were installed by humans and there were probably mistakes, but it was not was intended.

Shelby literature and production materials specify the correct color for the stripes. Point is...its not optional.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:46:32 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
Those images could have been easily changed during printing or production of the ad. I think its pointless to try to match the color of a 50 year old ad to an existing color

A Gulfstream car could have received a white stripe. They were installed by humans and there were probably mistakes, but it was not was intended.

Shelby literature and production materials specify the correct color for the stripes. Point is...its not optional.
Here is some support to above statements. I hadn't remembered but must have gotten this from my friend SpecialEd Meyer.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:32:01 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Thanks guys,
I will inform Roland that the consensus are his car most likely should have gold stripes. The car was a Claude Dubois car
and imported to Sweden in the early 70's. He has the names of all previous owners from the Swedish Car Registry but most of them have common Swedish names and no addresses or phone numbers are listed.
Again thanks,
Texas Swede

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
I appreciate the responses. I always believed gold to be correct, but I've seen quite a few GSA cars that appear otherwise nicely restored sporting white stripes, so it had me wondering.

Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
I found a notice in an old Shelby American where John Barnes had found a factory document specifying
all 69/70 exterior colors with the different interior codes and which color of the stripes the cars should have.
Gulfstream Aqua cars got the Gold Stripes.

Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
I found a notice in an old Shelby American where John Barnes had found a factory document specifying
all 69/70 exterior colors with the different interior codes and which color of the stripes the cars should have.
Gulfstream Aqua cars got the Gold Stripes.

Texas Swede
The document I posted a copy of in reply #10 is a factory document matching the exterior colors with the stripes.