Author Topic: Gulfstream Aqua stripe color  (Read 5359 times)

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: Gulfstream Aqua stripe color
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 11:55:24 PM »
The photo paper mr gaines posted is a page that was to be added  later to the 69 color & upholstery binder added midyear (since the 69 shelbys were a mid 69 year introduced car) see the 3 punched holes on the side.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
Thanks Bob,
John Barnes probably found the same document you have. I found a black and white picture of the sister car to Roland's, #1205 with white interior and white convertible top. This car has been restored but it appears the stripe is white. Roland's car #1204 has black top and black interior. Both are Gulfstream Aqua.
Again, thanks for all your help in this interesting matter.
Texas Swede

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »
Is the gold stripe were referencing SHELBY only or were they for all years and all Mustangs. I am currently restoring a 1968 Big Block 4 speed vert, that is Gulf Stream aqua with a white GT- C stripe.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »
We are discussing Shelbys.

Mustang “C” stripes were available in multiple colors and not color coordinated to specific exterior shades

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »
Thank You.....  ;)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
What color is the top car? Lower car is Acapulco blue. Also, Roland told me today the color in the brochure and
scanned in the computer is not an exact match. Roland's car after repaint looks more like the top picture.
Greenish tint to it. The reason he used the white stripe was what he found on his car though.

Texas Swede

The Top Shelby looks to be Grabber Green.
Grabber green wasn't a color when brochure was made. I always thought it was silver jade.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
Those images could have been easily changed during printing or production of the ad. I think its pointless to try to match the color of a 50 year old ad to an existing color

A Gulfstream car could have received a white stripe. They were installed by humans and there were probably mistakes, but it was not was intended.

Shelby literature and production materials specify the correct color for the stripes. Point is...its not optional.
Here is some support to above statements. I hadn't remembered but must have gotten this from my friend SpecialEd Meyer.
Bob, what color stripe does it say for a white car? I cannot read your pic as it is too fuzzy even with reading glasses on. LOL. I have seen white on a few GSA cars but I figured just like white stripes on a red car they were changed. I hate the gold so much I said damn the purists and I went with white on my red car. I figured if white stripes were good enough for Carroll on his red vert then they are for me. :)  Plus easily changed over with a little time.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
Red and Competition Red have different colored stripes. Thats likely where some of the confusion comes from.

Heres the link again: http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint

The chart is directly from the document Bob posted.

I am pretty sure Carrolls 1969 convertible was an after thought and not something he “owned” since new?

There were a number of Carroll Shelby owned cars that appeared later,  after Carroll hooked up with someone that was making some donations back to his charities.

Carroll Shelby owned cars have to be scrutinized closely.

Debating the color of a printed brochure is a waste of time in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:38:36 AM by Coralsnake »

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
Bob, what color stripe does it say for a white car?

I'm not Bob and I can't answer what color stripes that the brochure calls for, but the white cars came with blue stripes. When I bought my '69 there were 2  Shelbys on the carrier... a white with blue stripes and an "orange" one with white stripes. I wanted the white one until it was unloaded and I saw the red interior  ???  Needless to say, the white one looked weird with that color combination so I chose the Competition Red which I wasn't wild about either, but the color grows on you after a while. I really grew to like the competition red and decided to keep it and 48 years later I still like my Shelby... ;D

The white 69 with blue stripes and red interior I referred to was bought by an 18 yr old (his father) and wrecked a number of times before he sold it in the early 70's. The white 69 in N.E. TN I referred to is identical bur a different car (non Hertz).

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

I'm not Bob and I can't answer what color stripes that the brochure calls for, but the white cars came with blue stripes. When I bought my '69 there were 2  Shelbys on the carrier... a white with blue stripes and an "orange" one with white stripes. I wanted the white one until it was unloaded and I saw the red interior  ???  Needless to say, the white one looked weird with that color combination so I chose the Competition Red which I wasn't wild about either, but the color grows on you after a while. I really grew to like the competition red and decided to keep it and 48 years later I still like my Shelby... ;D

The white 69 with blue stripes and red interior I referred to was bought by an 18 yr old (his father) and wrecked a number of times before he sold it in the early 70's. The white 69 in N.E. TN I referred to is identical bur a different car (non Hertz).

TOB
UH, BOB as in Bob Gaines referring to his chart he posted in an earlier post. I cannot tell what it says for a white car-everyone I see had blue but am curious if it said blue on the brochure. Pete, As you know comp red is calypso coral orange etc. and red is med red so I would not expect gold on comp red. Carroll's cart if memory serves me correct was a re-paint at AO Smith of a black jade car. My comments on Shelby's GT500 and white stripes are always tongue in cheek as I have white on my T-code red  car and will take the points deduction as I hate gold. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

TOB
UH, BOB as in Bob Gaines referring to his chart he posted in an earlier post. I cannot tell what it says for a white car-everyone I see had blue but am curious if it said blue on the brochure. Pete, As you know comp red is calypso coral orange etc. and red is med red so I would not expect gold on comp red. Carroll's cart if memory serves me correct was a re-paint at AO Smith of a black jade car. My comments on Shelby's GT500 and white stripes are always tongue in cheek as I have white on my T-code red  car and will take the points deduction as I hate gold. Gary
Gary ,review reply #22. Pete's link and the information within was copied from the same factory document.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
Gary,  The 4th row down shows Wimbledon White color code M and Blue stripe...same as we have seen on the cars  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »
Thanks guys.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990