Author Topic: Lets get some cobra pictures back up!  (Read 87008 times)

honker

• View Profile
Re: Lets get some cobra pictures back up!
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »
kranky, thanks for that extra info on the double exhaust, I thought it might have to do with better breathing.

How many years have I looked at Daytona coupe pics, and not twigged to the fact they had that exhaust set up   ::)

Mike

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »
CSX2327 which is being offered at Mecum Indianapolis this week

Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »
CSX2137 or CSX2142 at the 1963 Tour de Corse Rally, driven by Jo Schlesser/Patrick Vanson.

Kranky's race record and the latest SAAC Registry disagree on which car it is. Based on the material I have, I'm leaning towards it being 2137, but does anyone here know for sure?

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
It is my belief that 2137 remained in the U.S. in 9/63, while 2142 was in France. Additionally, there are photos of 2142 with the same flares as in your photo, while those of 2137 are different.

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2020, 11:57:02 PM »
Ned is incorrect....this particular Cobra was discussed, backed up with several photos in the original SAAC Forum before it crashed....and we all agreed to the fact that the #85 Cobra at the November 1963 Tour de Course in Corsica and #84 Cobra at the November 1963 Criterium des Cevennes is CSX2137, not CSX2142.

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2020, 04:40:52 AM »
I'm not going to go through the process of posting all of the old photos again but I'll present all of the facts known about both Cobras (2137 and 2142) during a specific time period (September 1963-December 1963).

2137: owned and raced by Shelby American Inc., Le Mans spec bodywork (FIA hood scoop, enlarged side vents, rear hinged shortened trunk lid), standard front fender flares with side spats, rear enlarged fender flares, 6 1/2" and 7 1/2" Halibrand Kidney Bean magnesium wheels, 3" full length side exhausts on both sides, Raydyot side rear view mirror, center support for the windshield (attaches to the top of the cowl and to the top of the windshield), single hoop roll bar mounted through the rear bodywork, exterior color black at last race under SAI (October 13, 1963-LA Times GP-Bob Bondurant at the wheel....sustained damage to the driver's side rear fender flare).

2142: run under the John Willment Autos Ltd. banner, Le Mans spec bodywork (FIA hood scoop, enlarged side vents, rear hinged shortened trunk lid), standard front fender flares with a thin aluminum fender lip extensions attached to the lower trailing edge of the fender lips (these were added at Le Mans to cover the wheel offsets not fitting under the stock flares-a rules infraction), rear fender flares were unmodified and stock in profile and shape with thin aluminum fender lip extensions attached to the lower leading edge of the fender lips (also a necessary modification done at Le Mans to cover the wheel offsets not fitting under the stock flares), 6 1/2" Dunlop magnesium front and rear wheels, dual non-full length exhausts on both sides (Willment Team modification done after Le Mans), no rear view side mirrors, no center support for the windshield, no roll bar or holes cut in the bodywork for one, number lights located on the sides of the front fenders on both sides for night time racing and identification, a bug deflector mounted across the top of the hood and hood scoop, exterior color of white with two thin dark blue stripes front to back at Le Mans (June 1963).  Once the ownership changed from Ed Hugus/SAI to John Willment the front of the nose stripes changed to the traditional Willment stripes (triple and color change to red instead of the dark blue).  2142's last race in England was the Snetterton 3-Hour enduro at the end of September of 1963 before it was to be readied and shipped off to South African Springbok races (November 1963-early January 1964).

October 1963 Ford of France had no Cobras in their stable and the Tour de Course and the Criterium des Cevennes were just around the corner (late October through mid-November).  So SAI had just finished the Riverside LA Times GP (mid-October 1963) and they were planning to attend the Hawaii races at the end of October 1963...the problem was which cars would we take for the two drivers that we have in our stable (Ken and Dave)?  The possibilities were 2127, 2136 and 2137....2127 (Gurney's Cobra) escaped the Riverside races fairly clean, 2136 (Spencer's Cobra) had a fair amount of damage to the front grill area and the driver's front fender and headlight area were crushed and 2136 (Bondurant's Cobra) had some damage to the driver's side rear fender.  This is just a guess....but Ford of France got in contact with SAI inquiring about a Cobra during this lull between upcoming races.  How they picked which cars were to be fixed and for which drivers is something I don't know about, but there was a color change in the works for the Cobras (2127 and 2136) that were scheduled to be readied for the Hawaiian races....and since they were to be repainted "Princess Blue" what would stop them from fixing the damaged bodywork on 2137 and also painting it "Princess Blue"?   All of this work and planning must have been competed in the first week after the Riverside LA Times GP so both sets of Cobras could be air freighted to their destinations in time (Hawaii and Paris, France) for the upcoming races.    The latest edition of the leaf spring Cobra Registry also notes that 2137 was lent to Ford of France for a short period of time.  Here is also some interesting news that was in Motorsport magazine covering the November 1963 Tour de Course race: J. Schlesser "only had a limited number of wheels, after his spares were held up in a Paris airport by a customs strike."  Schlesser went through all of the set of wheels and had to change tires on a few of the wheels since he didn't have extras (lost lots of time on the race due to tire issues).  Later one of the wheels got loose and while he was fixing it, the jack slipped and went through the bodywork.  Now during this time the Ford of France Cobra was Princess blue and 2142 was racing in South Africa and was still white.  (You can't be on two different Continents racing the same Cobra in different colors at the same time?  2142 still had the same Le Mans bodywork and white exterior paint (#6) at it's first South African race at Kyalami at the end of October 1963 through early November.  2142's next several races in South Africa during November and December it sprouted "modified" rear fender flares to now cover the 8 1/2" Halibrand FIA mags and an opening cut in to the front lower valance for more cooling and it was still painted white.  The fender flares that Ned keeps talking about and showing in the same photos didn't happen until later in 1964/1965 when the ownership of 2142 was transferred from John Willment to Ford of France.   

SunDude's photo of the Ford of France Cobra (October 1963) in what looks to be a black and white version of "Princess Blue" (I did post color photos on the old SAAC Forum showing that this particular Cobra was blue), Raydyot side mirror, Le Mans hood scoop and side vents, front fender spats, flared rear fenders, 3" full length side exhaust, center windshield support, single hoop roll  bar and Kidney Bean wheels looks to be suspiciously like 2137 not like 2142, which was still white during this time and under John Willments stewardship?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 03:11:47 PM by kranky »

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
... looks to be suspiciously like 2136 not like 2142, which was still white during this time and under John Willments stewardship?

Did you mean 2136, or 2137...?

Here's another webfind B&W photo of the #85 car in Corsica, in case it helps with IDing the car. The coolant hose looks like how it was on 2137 in period photos.

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »
Correct Sundude (2137, not 2136)....it was late last night...and I fixed it.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »
Another photo from the Hazan Cobra book, the above pic of Schlesser/Vanson is also in there.

The author Hazan also writes that Henri Chemin ordered the car from SAI and it disembarqued in Orly/France November 2nd.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2020, 12:34:53 PM »
Another pic in a Henri Chemin interview (Echappement Classique). In which he confirms the order of 2 Cobras for Jo Schlesser/Henri Greder.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
I'm glad there is more data available, as well as additional photos, beyond what was used back in the '70s to compile the history of these cars. Using the tools of today instead of Autoweek and R&T sure helps keep things straight. Thanks for the revisions!

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2020, 08:07:47 PM »
CSX2125 - This beautiful Shelby 289 Cobra street roadster was restored to original condition in 2019 by Vintage Motorcar Co.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
CSX2125 - This beautiful Shelby 289 Cobra street roadster was restored to original condition in 2019 by Vintage Motorcar Co.

Outstanding color!
Nothing beats a classic!

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
Only three Cobras ever came from the AC factory in that great "Blue Metaline" color - 2125, 2132, and 2133. And for inexplicable reasons, each was repainted a different color a few years down the road. Tragic. I'm glad this one was repainted back to the original color they found when stripping it.

marklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »

Isn't that Princess Blue? 
   Isn't Bright Blue much darker?