News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Does anyone know about this 1967-shelby-mustang-gasser?

Started by tesgt350, November 29, 2018, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Cobrask8

Yes, remember the car. The write up is accurate, as many switched bodies, but kept the chassis.

SW&C was a powerhouse team during that era. They ultimately ran a full funny car for a few seasons in the early 70's, and stopped. One of their gassers still exists, and I have seen it at Bruce Larson's barn show a few years back.

tesgt350

roddster

No Shelby VIN # as the article states it was a "Fiberglass Facimile".  So, here is what I know as a 40+ years subscriber to Hot Rod magazine:  It was built in the time when Funny Cars morfed into tube chassied, fiberglass bodied "cars".  The Gas class rules allowed more modern bodied cars in the middle 60's, so, out went the Willys coupes, 55-56-57 Chevys...and everything else.  And a large investment was required to run the times these modern well sponsored cars were turning.  Ultimatley running the home-brewed Gassers off to the E.T. classes.
   Lets say the "Gasser class" also morfed into "ProMod".

CSX2259

Actually a lot of the reason for changing the bodies from one brand (say Willy's) to another brand (say Ford) was the fact that some of these teams were being sponsored by manufacturers and the manufacturer was looking for some identity payback. I know this happened to at least one car imparticular "Ohio George Montgomery" who campaigned a '33 Willy's coupe powered by a Ford Cameron. Ohio switched his Willy's body to a Mustang body to maintain his sponsorship, the chassis was still the '33 Willy's chassis.
This is somewhat responsible for the Gasser class being done away with, brand identity, corporate sponsorship and the creation of the "Funny Car" class.

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Quote from: roddster on November 30, 2018, 09:59:35 AM
  No Shelby VIN # as the article states it was a "Fiberglass Facimile".  So, here is what I know as a 40+ years subscriber to Hot Rod magazine:  It was built in the time when Funny Cars morfed into tube chassied, fiberglass bodied "cars".  The Gas class rules allowed more modern bodied cars in the middle 60's, so, out went the Willys coupes, 55-56-57 Chevys...and everything else.  And a large investment was required to run the times these modern well sponsored cars were turning.  Ultimatley running the home-brewed Gassers off to the E.T. classes.
   Lets say the "Gasser class" also morfed into "ProMod".

+1 Cal Automotive Fiberglass ( here in So Cal) made the fiberglass parts for this and other Mustang gassers in our area and around the country. Cal Auto was owned by Tex Collins who also raced a Mustang funny car and said he supplied fiberglass parts to SAI in '67.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Peter L.

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

gt350hr

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 30, 2018, 12:23:37 PM
The first 67 Shelby tribute car? ;)

Another guy named Skip Hess did one called The Revell Kit  about the same time Yes it was made in 1/24 scale too.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Haven't heard of the car for a number of years. A few decades ago I passed on the car when  some guys showed up to a NorCal meeting with pictures of the car and frame one meeting.

Not sure what I would have done with it if I had purchased it.  Oh well just one of many I choose to not buy.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge