News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Sill Plate emblem changes??

Started by acman63, January 29, 2018, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on February 01, 2018, 12:17:29 AM
It doesn't seem logical to go from the CS version with two lines of text:

Not sure logic played a part in allot of choices. Consider that in 66 they had both versions (with and without los angeles, california) also intermixed

Old long thread that was posted BTC (before the crash )
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

"Shelby American, Inc.
Los Angeles California"
(since they added the second line after the earlier CS versions that didn't have the extra text) then go to the version for the '67's which swapped the Snake for the CS and then delete the second line of text.  ????

Is more likely (?) that the snake version without the location text was later since they were maybe not sure where the cars would be from but it wasn't going to be Los Angeles, California.  Once it was also known to not be "Shelby American Inc." but "Shelby Automotive" the Snake one line Shelby American Inc. versions were liquidated to service replacements?
Just to be clear the Snake one line version is the last used of the three styles used in 67. The "Shelby Automotive " is only relevant to 1968 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

Quote from: JD on January 30, 2018, 07:52:16 PM
It was my understanding that the first '67's got the last '66 version door sill emblem (will find a photo to post) then the snake two lines of text version.

Edit: excerpt from '67 Running Changes article in The Shelby American Fall of 2013

Quote from: acman63 on January 31, 2018, 08:24:50 PM

I have one on ebay  right now.  advanced search by seller acman63  Link  https://www.ebay.com/itm/282827537316   BTW Ive probably owned a couple hundred nos sill emblems in the last 42 years  and Ive never seen a NOS  early 66 single line plate with raised CS   Im not sure they were ever serviced

By "late '66" I mean the 2 line CS version as depicted in JD's post (reply #5), did I misunderstand something? The link provided is to a single line CS version.

Thanks -

KR500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 01, 2018, 01:24:06 AM
"Shelby American, Inc. 
Los Angeles California"
(since they added the second line after the earlier CS versions that didn't have the extra text) then go to the version for the '67's which swapped the Snake for the CS and then delete the second line of text.  ????

Is more likely (?) that the snake version without the location text was later since they were maybe not sure where the cars would be from but it wasn't going to be Los Angeles, California.  Once it was also known to not be "Shelby American Inc." but "Shelby Automotive" the Snake one line Shelby American Inc. versions were liquidated to service replacements?
Just to be clear the Snake one line version is the last used of the three styles used in 67. The  "Shelby American Inc is only relevant to 1967 production and not used for 1968. The "Shelby Automotive " is only relevant to 1968 production.
Some early 68 Shelby's did indeed use the Shelby American Inc. sill plate emblems.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR500 on February 01, 2018, 09:04:42 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 01, 2018, 01:24:06 AM
"Shelby American, Inc. 
Los Angeles California"

Just to be clear the Snake one line version is the last used of the three styles used in 67. The  "Shelby American Inc is only relevant to 1967 production and not used for 1968. The "Shelby Automotive " is only relevant to 1968 production.
Some early 68 Shelby's did indeed use the Shelby American Inc. sill plate emblems.
Thank you for catching that. I was too focused on 67 and mispoke . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

QuoteJust to be clear the Snake one line version is the last used of the three styles used in 67.

Any idea of  the date or Shelby number when this changeover occurred? I understand this may be a fuzzy number/date -- just like other things at SA in 67.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on February 01, 2018, 03:52:39 PM
QuoteJust to be clear the Snake one line version is the last used of the three styles used in 67.

Any idea of  the date or Shelby number when this occurred? I understand this may be a fuzzy number/date -- just like other things at SA in 67.
Fuzzy line. SA didn't keep track of things like this and it is up to enthusiasts to document with observations. I would be interested if someone else can put a pin on the timeline.

Bossbill

I'm going to tag onto this older post since the pics are germane. If you want me to move it let me know.

As evidenced by many pics on this site the finish on the sill plate itself is a mystery.
This pic by Jeff makes it look polished:

His other pic makes the sill look dull. I've heard that these were anodized and that's what this old one looks like, again by Jeff:

I'm more inclined to believe anodized and if so is there an anodization process type I can reference when calling around? Do I first polish the sill before it gets anodized?
Bill

CharlesTurner

I don't believe sill plates were anodized.  Every original that I ever put a little metal polish on would turn the rag black.  If the part was anodized, it would not do that.  The seat side shields for 65-67 are definitely anodized though, so hold those parts side by side and try the polish rub test like mentioned.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bossbill

Do we believe then that Jeff's first pic with the single line snake is about the right amount sheen?

I realize that talking about levels of sheen is akin to talking about semi-gloss black levels of gloss . . .
Bill

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on June 09, 2021, 12:01:01 PM
Do we believe then that Jeff's first pic with the single line snake is about the right amount sheen?

I realize that talking about levels of sheen is akin to talking about semi-gloss black levels of gloss . . .
You didn't mention the variation between different computer monitors have on a picture.

Are any of the reproduction sill plates worth using?

Jon

CharlesTurner

There's a Ford Tooling one that is probably the next best choice to NOS or restored originals.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1175 on June 09, 2021, 02:44:22 PM
Are any of the reproduction sill plates worth using?

Jon
As far as the emblems go ,It depends on your expectations. The repros that I have seen are of inferior quality relatively speaking when compared to a genuine. The repros look OK and would be fine for most situations but if you put them side by side with a genuine you can really see a difference in size ,positioning and definition of artwork.
Modify message