News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NOS/ Vintage parts preservation.

Started by CSX 4133, November 30, 2018, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

As some may know I purchased a B/Production Shelby GT350 which came with the majority of it's pre conversion OEM parts. After taking delivery of the car and parts I was faced with how I was going to store and yet preserve the parts which ranged from vinyl seats to chrome pieces, suspension parts and larger pieces like whole doors.

After blowing off what seemed like 40+ years of accumulated dirt I've started the process of "preserving" these parts for future use. I've used a specific vinyl cleaner on all the seats and then coated them with a quality vinyl/rubber preservative twice due to their age. I then enclosed each seat in a breathable plastic bag, the same was done with the rear seat and door cards. The bumpers, which are in excellent condition, were washed and then coated with conservators wax along with exterior trim and window frames.

The gauge cluster, radio and misc. small parts were wiped clean and placed in sealed plastic containers. I haven't started on the suspension pieces as yet.  I may never use these parts, but who knows what the future holds? The next owner of 1806 may have need of them.

I'd like to hear what others may have done with their particular parts stash's as far as preserving them, what products and process works for you?

Bigfoot

Sounds like ur on the right track.
Wheels go into cardboard boxes.
Smalls into Tupperware.
Ziplocks for some.
Valve covers in cardboard.
Steering wheels in those nice boxes that sweaters used to come in that only seem to be available at Macy's, Brooks Brothers or Grandmas house....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Sfm6sxxx

The ancient Egyptians would be proud.

6S1114

NC TRACKRAT

Store the door cards flat. Otherwise, they'll warp.  Keep in mind that, for just about everything, heat and moisture are the enemy.  Cool and dry are your friends.
5S071, 6S1467

CSX 4133

Thanks go out to those that have offered their sage advice. I knew there had to be those that have worked on preserving parts.

1967 eight barrel

Make sure you put a desiccant in the containers with the parts to absorb the moisture. You'll need to change them at the intervals listed by manufacturer.  Good "desiccant" There are many available out there.

CSX 4133

1967 eight barrel, thanks for that, I do indeed use varying sizes of desiccant. I even reuse them after drying them out on low heat in the oven. In the past I've even placed one pound bags of desiccant in the trunk, engine bay and even interior cabin of stored cars for the added protection.