News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Interesting car

Started by Coralsnake, December 01, 2018, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Were all exports T5? I had heard only one going to Germany due to Mustang already being copyrighted there. 93 is a DSO export code but all I find is a block of codes for export not which direction they went. Surprised a T build went west rather than one from San Jose.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

Dont think all exports were T5s, thats what makes this interesting...

I had no idea they shipped Mustangs to Vietnam during the war.

pmustang

I was eyeballing that and wondering how a car in Vietnam didn't get rusted away.

I love that data tag saying Vietnam

Coralsnake

It must be green T5 month!

I would love to know the history of the Vietnam car.

I sm not totally convinced its not rusty. The tag and aprons look a little crusty and its been repainted from Dark Moss Green

Kent

The most T5´s were built for germany but who knows what happend to this one.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

SHELB66

Data plate decodes as originally having a 3spd manual trans and not a 4spd.  However, 4spd may have been installed at a later date.  It's a direct swap.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

QuickSilverShelby

All Mustangs that went to Canada were Mustangs.  Not  a single T5 made it to the Great White North. :)

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

J_Speegle

Quote from: pmustang on December 02, 2018, 01:51:03 AM
I was eyeballing that and wondering how a car in Vietnam didn't get rusted away.

There are a number of examples were cars ordered and built for export never were but instead diverted to delivery in the US. Not saying that this is the case in this example just sharing what I've seen on other cars ordered by US service men

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 01, 2018, 07:48:28 PM
Were all exports T5? I had heard only one going to Germany due to Mustang already being copyrighted there. 93 is a DSO export code but all I find is a block of codes for export not which direction they went.

No. Not sure in 68 why this example got the T5 emblems. Most I've exports I've seen got the regular Mustang emblems and not sure if it changed depending on year of production. Do have other examples shipped around the Pacific rim that year this is the first I've seen with T5 embelms. Often owners and restorers (does not appear to be the case here) will change out the emblems for T5 ones to make their cars stand out more - make them more special  ??? when they are restored.

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 01, 2018, 07:48:28 PMSurprised a T build went west rather than one from San Jose.

For many years all export models were handled/processed automatically through the NJ plant. Guess it made it easier then to run their through the same channels after they were completed also considering the limited numbers of cars built
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tesgt350

I used to be part owner of that Car.  My ex Business Partner ended up with it.  We traded a Red 66 6 Cyl. Coupe that was  converted to 289 for it, straight trade.  I am not sure why the Engine & Trans was removed.