Author Topic: DeChroming advice? Anyone?  (Read 2391 times)

TGI FORD

• View Profile
DeChroming advice? Anyone?
« on: December 01, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
Any advice or suggestions on de-chroming or a paint over for this export brace I would like to put back on my 68kr?  Can it simply be sandblasted and repainted?

thanks, Don

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: DeChroming advice? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
Any advice or suggestions on de-chroming or a paint over for this export brace I would like to put back on my 68kr?  Can it simply be sandblasted and repainted?

thanks, Don
The problem is sand blasting will get some but most likely not all of the chrome off of the part. It may leave edges that look like curled tin foil. It will show in the finish painted product. It really needs to be acid dipped to strip the outer chrome off.  Your best compromise between time and money is to lightly sand blast the chrome just enough to scuff the surface so that paint will not chip off easily. If you just have to have a original then your money would be better spent finding another original to painting and use . FYI there are now excellent repros now that are virtually identical . Virginia Mustang or NPD sell them
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
A chrome plating shop should be able to strip it. The problem is it may have been sanded smooth before it was chromed so the edges of the brace will not have all of the rough detail like an original on would have.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »
Simply take it to a chrome plater. They will simply use the acids and electrolysis to remove the plating. Be sure to clean it and prime it immediately when you bring it home. If they oil it, you'll have to clean it up with denatured alcohol first.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
see if it can be powdercoated light blasting by them / or agree  strip at a plater / buying new is cheapest route thou.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
I did a chrome export brace a number of years ago.. I am sure a just sanded it and then I sprayed it with a Wurth product.. Then over sprayed that with a semi gloss black.. worked a treat.. I will see if I still have the Wurth can on my self..

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
If your export brace is OE Ford I certainly wouldn't replace it. The contours of the reproductions are different. The chrome won't charge you much to remove the plating. It's not a manual process. It's dipped in an acid and they use electrolysis to remove it.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
If your export brace is OE Ford I certainly wouldn't replace it. The contours of the reproductions are different. The chrome won't charge you much to remove the plating. It's not a manual process. It's dipped in an acid and they use electrolysis to remove it.

-Keith
The is a nice reproduction that is available (more expensive) that is virtually identical . The cheesy ones are still easy to spot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
I'll presume you're referencing the Scott Drake product? It's different at the rear flange and where the beehives mount from my Ford unit.  Chinese crap is just that and paper thin.

-Keith