News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rivets- whats correct?

Started by cboss70, December 04, 2018, 08:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I went and looked at a collection of 69 and 70 fastback projects and parts cars this past weekend (non-Shelby). I noticed that the vin tag at the base of the windshield on the interior of the car were fastened by different style rivets so I put any purchases on hold being wary.  Some had regular round rivets, some had the flower type rivets (think maybe GM used them back in the day), and one had one of each!  What is the correct style rivet? What if any differences are related to where they were made and when? I'm not a 69/70 expert so any guidance would be appreciated

J_Speegle

I would offer a word of caution. It's a balancing act with sharing certain things and details on a public forum IMHO since it may not only helps the potential buyer but others that might want to take advantage of using that information to lead another potential buyer  astray and for their financial gain. So asking and answering this sort of thing publically can work against you as well as for you.

Of course this is just one small detail but in an inspection it's all the little clues and details that help paint a picture for the person making the big choice

Sure there are others that will consider this a simple and unimportant detail and that I'm being overly cautious.   ::)

Just a thought

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 04, 2018, 02:40:28 PM
I would offer a word of caution. It's a balancing act with sharing certain things and details on a public forum IMHO since it may not only helps the potential buyer but others that might want to take advantage of using that information to lead another potential buyer  astray and for their financial gain. So asking and answering this sort of thing publically can work against you as well as for you.

Of course this is just one small detail but in an inspection it's all the little clues and details that help paint a picture for the person making the big choice

Sure there are others that will consider this a simple and unimportant detail and that I'm being overly cautious.   ::)

Just a thought
I don't think you are being over cautious when discussing details like this.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1109RWHP

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1109RWHP on February 19, 2019, 07:13:03 PM
So who should he ask?

Often this sort of thing converts over to a PM exchange and or email exchange (if appropriate) help can follow and pictures/examples can follow.

Just what I've experienced in the past and what was done in this example. PM exchange started on the 4th of December it appears
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge