News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Quarter panel question

Started by Peter L., December 04, 2018, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Other than the side louver/cove area and the reflector holes, is there any difference between a '67 and '68 fastback quarter panel?
My buddy is telling me that the wheel lips are slightly different from '67 to '68. Any truth to that?

Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

davez

Since the outer wheel houses are the same I don't think that's the case I do remember reading something about the lower scoop opening areas being slightly different but since 67 68 doors are interchangeable the the difference would be subtle. I think the difference was at the rearward area of that lower scoop opening

tesgt350

The lower side Scoop area is VERY different.  The 67's area in the middle where the finned scoops go is at a slant and the 68's is flat.  The 67's rear section has no Reflector and the 68's had an Early Reflector style and a Late Reflector style.  every thing else is the same.

Peter L.

So is it something that the Shelby side scoops would cover anyway?

Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052

TLea

Quote from: Peter L. on December 04, 2018, 12:31:24 PM
So is it something that the Shelby side scoops would cover anyway?

Thanks, Pete.
No. The shape of the recess is different

Peter L.

So are the lower side scoops different from "67 to "68 ? Is that something I can find out on Pete's site?
KR 4052

acman63

67 scoops are hand laid glass (rough)  68 scoops are smooth injected glass
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Peter L.

I understand the difference in the quarter panel at the rear of the cove as described and shown in photos by tesgt350, (thanks by the way for the pics).  So wouldn't the scoops have a different inner profile based on that from '67 to '68?
The reason I posted this question is because I have a chance to buy an NOS Ford '67 fastback quarter panel for my KR.

Pete.
KR 4052

DC-DD

Peter L.

Great pics! Based on that, the '67 cove area would be clearly visible through the '68 style scoop.
     Thanks again, Pete.
KR 4052

TLea

The biggest fit issue is at the back of the scoop. 68 is deeper recess. Why not get 68 quarter?

Peter L.

Probably will. It's just that this piece came up, and it sure is nice. lol
KR 4052

PR

In the past I have seen the 67 cove area cut out and a 68 spliced in in the end things were undetectable, this was a time when replacement part where hard to get, being these were Ford metal it worked

davez

I've done this very swap myself. You could buy the quarter and you or your body man could do this. Or you could sell the quarter to someone who needed a 67 and buy a 68 quarter