News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Washer Bag FOMOCO or FORD (gold writing)

Started by sfm5s081, November 30, 2018, 12:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5s081

So I've seen both and have both. I know the 65 washer bag is FOMOCO, in white writing. Now I'm wondering about my 66, #1124. Which washer bag is it supposed to be? White FOMOCO or gold FORD?

kingchief

Good question.  I would like to know which one [gold or white letter] for my '66 car as well...#406.

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Brant

Quote from: sfm5s081 on November 30, 2018, 12:27:10 AM
So I've seen both and have both. I know the 65 washer bag is FOMOCO, in white writing. Now I'm wondering about my 66, #1124. Which washer bag is it supposed to be? White FOMOCO or gold FORD?

Based on the original cars that I have recently researched, the gold lettered bag appeared earlier than I used to think. In my opinion, 6S1124 would have the gold lettered bag.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Brant

Quote from: kingchief on November 30, 2018, 08:29:01 AM
Good question.  I would like to know which one [gold or white letter] for my '66 car as well...#406.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve,

I found a few cars in the late 300's with the white lettered bag. I know that there is a car in the late 500's that has a gold lettered bag.

I would probably used the white lettered one on 6S406.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

kingchief

Thank you Brant.  Whew!  That is what I have now so, crisis averted!!!

Happy Holidays!

Steve
SFM 6S406

sfm5s081

So I'm thinking white lettered FoMoCo bags were definitely 65s and through the carryover 66s, until around 400

gt350hr

6S477 has the  "small" flip top cap bag with white letters.  I note the change to the "big bag" gold lettering ( by "in the day" local car experience) to be in the 900-1000 area. Since the cars were not built with any attention to the Ford vin, there is certainly some overlap.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

outlawincorporated

From memory many years ago we had a tailgate gate party with included Jeff, Charles and Mike Murray and a few other characters at Birmingham Alabama where I brought up this topic due to having a several unrestored cars that had different washer bags.

parts books called out in there text late 66 had the gold print washer bag but remember jeff having the belief then (might have chance since) that the san jose had a transition to gold bags around mid april to early may and Dearborn shortly after. NJ wasn't discussed that I can recall but has been has since been discussed on concours forum.

I have a unrestored Dearborn car with late june build with gold bag and previously owned a San Jose May build car also with a gold example.
Just my observations.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

TJinSA

Where was the cut from a twist-top to flip-top white letter bag?
Tom Kubler
6S296

SFM6S1348

When I bought 6S1348 in the early 1980's it was un restored and had a white lettered
wiper bag. It still has it.

Les
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

greekz

I believe this was discussed on the old Forum and the change was in April or so as noted below.  Therefore, I used the white lettered bag with the flip top on #1134.

parts books called out in there text late 66 had the gold print washer bag but remember jeff having the belief then (might have chance since) that the san jose had a transition to gold bags around mid april to early may and Dearborn shortly after. NJ wasn't discussed that I can recall but has been has since been discussed on concours forum.

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

s2ms

I agree with Brant that the change likely happened at SJ earlier than previously thought.

I've had NOS gold bags where it almost looked like the logo and writing had some sort of protective layer over it making it very dull with an almost bluish tint.
Dave - 6S1757

SFM6S1348

There was discussion on this topic in March...
Original Windshield Wiper Bag?
« on: March 15, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Plus other discussion about dates for white and gold bags.
Owned several SJ cars, not Shelby's with later build dates with having white bags.

Les 6S1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

gt350hr

Quote from: TJinSA on November 30, 2018, 04:55:49 PM
Where was the cut from a twist-top to flip-top white letter bag?

I believe they ended with the carryovers . "I" believe 253 up had "flip tops".
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.