Author Topic: Hagerty Website and 65 values  (Read 3049 times)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hagerty Website and 65 values
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Looks like Hagerty revamped their website. I went poking around and you can find your car and get current market value figures and recently sold figures. I realize it does not include private sales, but interesting non-the-less. Here's what they say about 65's.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1965-Shelby-GT350
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hagerty Website and 65 values
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
Dropped $10k I believe... was at $550k (#1 concours) for a year or 2 before.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
I have sold cars before and have been contacted by Hagerty. The asked for the sale price and I respectfully declined to answer. Point is they sre owner reported and tend to skew a little higher in my opinion.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
I just checked the Hagerty valuation tool value for my 69 GT350 convertible yesterday.  $102K for a car in excellent condition.  Probably is pretty close, but it said -20% for automatic trans.  I disagree with the 20% discount for auto, but that is just me. 

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
I just checked the Hagerty valuation tool value for my 69 GT350 convertible yesterday.  $102K for a car in excellent condition.  Probably is pretty close, but it said -20% for automatic trans.  I disagree with the 20% discount for auto, but that is just me. 

I always find it funny that manual cars are seen as "true muscle" cars, but when it comes down to true "FAST" drag racing muscle cars, automatics are what everyone wants as they are faster.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
I think a manual trans car is just more for for those that like,..and are accustomed to shifting.
Additionally,..some cars like a Shelby or Z28 Camaro etc are really viewed as Road course cars not straight line cars. Cars like that are stick.
Just my 2c.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
I gotta disagree that automatics are faster, if you trace the beginnings of performance cars there were NO high stall converters to get the engines power band up before leaving the line. That's where stick shift cars would shine to rev it up to what your car liked, and dump the clutch they would launch quite nicely. If anyone has ever driven a road course aggressively with an automatic its never in the right rpm range because its trying to upshift to calm the rpm range, this was long before manual valve bodies on autos. The automatic drag cars are very consistent with your ET at the strip which makes them the preferred trans to run. Back in the 70s and 80s people looked at my 66 350 6s 409 and thought, I had an early fake which really upset me so off to change the auto- for a top loader. Offerings from Porsche- Ferrari- GM- Shelby and most of the other manufacturers installed 4 speeds when it was meant for performance applications. Nothing wrong with an automatic you can have your sweetie sit close to you on trips you can have a cup of coffee while heading to you favorite destination, and not feel like you just got back from the gym. :-[

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
I gotta disagree that automatics are faster, if you trace the beginnings of performance cars there were NO high stall converters to get the engines power band up before leaving the line. That's where stick shift cars would shine to rev it up to what your car liked, and dump the clutch they would launch quite nicely. If anyone has ever driven a road course aggressively with an automatic its never in the right rpm range because its trying to upshift to calm the rpm range, this was long before manual valve bodies on autos. Before "Select-Shift" you had to finagle the shifter, pull it into L and it would hold second gear, but it would go back to first at unfortunate times. The automatic drag cars are very consistent with your ET at the strip which makes them the preferred trans to run. Back in the 70s and 80s people looked at my 66 350 6s 409 and thought, I had an early fake which really upset me so off to change the auto- for a top loader. Offerings from Porsche- Ferrari- GM- Shelby and most of the other manufacturers installed 4 speeds when it was meant for performance applications. Nothing wrong with an automatic you can have your sweetie sit close to you on trips (bench seat, four speed, let her do the shifting) you can have a cup of coffee while heading to you favorite destination, and not feel like you just got back from the gym. :-[

I still prefer manual, getting harder to find. I hear next GT500 won't have one.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:34:38 AM by jguyer »
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
I wish my gt350 convertible was a manual, but I still enjoy it as an auto.  I thought about converting it to a 4 speed a few years ago, but decided against it.  My 2016 Mustang GT is a manual so if I want to go fast and row gears, I take the late model out. 

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »
In addition to auto tranny deduction, what kind of deduction could one expect for a change in exterior color?

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
My car is an auto and I think I will appreciate that when I get older and won't have to keep pushing that clutch pedal in. But, that is just me.

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
In addition to auto tranny deduction, what kind of deduction could one expect for a change in exterior color?

Depends. If it is between two desirable colors, then I think it might hurt a bit but overall doesnt actually mean much. Just would take longer to sell and maybe go for a bit less.

If you are going from a color that is universally (for the most part) disliked...then it might actually help the car.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
Vern called it... If it is a color that is generally not sought after, You can guess which colors that might be- so as to not offend others cars. Men are visual creatures if it looks great we are interested. :)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »
I'd think a color change to anything other than white on a 65 Shelby (except maybe some original race cars), would hurt the value.

Other years, it depends, like has been mentioned.  Any concours level car with a color change should be a hit on value though.  If anyone would want to show it, almost impossible to recover the points deduction to earn a Gold award.  I don't think SAAC even allows known color change cars in concours anymore.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge