Author Topic: New category  (Read 17107 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
Re: New category
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 03:44:03 AM »
I'd like to add to this perceived need... Day-2 Street cars AND day-2 race cars. Is it a problem defining what day-2 is limited to? + OR - 5 years on street cars  so long as a vintage ad for the product to substantiate the questionable, with maybe some allowance), non-period kicks into Mod; modern drivetrains into Street or Pro Mod.  With race cars... well no limits so long as it's not street legal...  Am I barking up the wrong tree, or have vintage Shelbys now only warrant concours status to be admired?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:48:44 AM by TJinSA »
Tom Kubler
6S296

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »
like NIKE says just do it, start posting your shelbys
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
Let do a test

All you guys with day 2 race a street cars start posting right here on this thread.

When it becomes a real popular thread, the mod can turn it into its own category.

Lets see those cars

Actions speak louder than words

Tango out...
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »
Since my car is a day 2 car, which defined would interpret what someone would do to their car shortly after ownership back in the day or day 2. Era or period correct I feel defines this moniker which in our world today has a way of getting things twisted. Shelbys were performance cars and were used and abused from the time they drove off the lot, which means very few exist today as survivors. Lots of tall tales of how original they are, when digging deep most are not. So a category which defines most of the cars out there... Replacement engines,  replacement sheet metal,color change, altering its stance, suspension upgrades, anything that differs from the day it left the lot would be defined as day 2. Race cars Should be something similar, the way they were built back in the day even if it was built yesterday. If someone has a car that they are proud of this should be a place to discuss, share their pride and joy vehicles. We don't want to run anymore people off because this is a very small pool of individuals in this club so promotion and solidarity of the cars and people are key! :)

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »
     I agree we do not want to run anyone off. Either concours or modified. I think we are in need of a thread where non concours car owners can discuss there cars and modifications. I love going to the shows and seeing both groups of cars, along with the survivors.
     Personally I would rather drive mine and use it for track days. So that is how I am restoring mine. It is a 68 GT350 number 1236 originally an acapulco blue, Hertz without AC. I bought the car in August of 1993. The person I bought my car off of purchased it in the Fall of 1978. He purchased it off of a car lot in the Denver Colorado area. Someone previous to this installed a 4 speed top loader and Koni adjustable rear shocks. They all so cut the fender lips and bent them up for extra tire clearance. You could not tell this by just looking at the car. They even keep on the fender lip trim. (If anyone has previous information about 1236 please let me know). The original engine and transmission were long gone before I bought the car. The owner before me did not modify the car at all. He thought the car was originally a 4 speed. I am not doing anything that can not be returned. (Except factory runs and drips on underside of car.) I am fortunate that my car's frame rails, torque boxes and floor pans are rust free. Since I want to track my car days I am installing a 351W with a 3550 5 speed. I have fabricated engine mounts to lower the engine and set it back, so I do not have to modify the transmission tunnel to install the 5 speed. This also helps the center of gravity. I have totally stripped the underside of car and epoxy primered it. Now seam sealing car. Trying to do a really clean job of seam sealing. I do not get to work on the car every week, so this is taking awhile. Lots of custom fabrication to come including custom headers for engine relocation. I will add updates and pictures as I make progress.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:18:53 PM by 68GT350roadracer »

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
New engine mounts vs original.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
VERY Nicely done; how far back does it shift the motor?
Tom Kubler
6S296

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
 8)

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
TJinSA the engine is 1/2 of an inch back and 3/4 of an inch down. This has the shifter within 1/16 of the center of shifter hole in trans tunnel.

WedgeMan I love the pick of the 67 on the drag strip.

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »

Day 2:

[/size]2 Day:

1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
kjspeed that is an AWESOME!!!!! car. Love the modifications that I can see. I have always liked the Daisy wheels. Which Wilwood disc brake kit do you have and will your 10 spokes fit with them? What event are the stickers from? Do you mind sharing with us the number of your Shelby?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »
kjspeed that is an AWESOME!!!!! car. Love the modifications that I can see. I have always liked the Daisy wheels. Which Wilwood disc brake kit do you have and will your 10 spokes fit with them? What event are the stickers from? Do you mind sharing with us the number of your Shelby?

+1 on the American S200's. Love those.

Love the chin spoiler and rake. No dirty diapers here.  😎

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
STUNNING COLOR!

Gotta love the induction. Tastefully done

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments! I wish I could claim credit for doing this car, but I bought it like this from John Barnes - it's his creation! He sold it to me so he could finance his new hobby - searching for Champ!

It's #2148 Jade Green Metallic (Lincoln & Tbird color) with a Boss 351, Webers, Richmond 5-speed and it runs as good as it looks!

68GT350roadracer - I'm not sure of the Wilwood part numbers, but I will get them for you. I got 2 sets of the Daisy wheels but only one 10-spoke (spare). But John did have 10-spokes on it for a while so I'm sure some version of them would fit. The stickers are all class wins, most of them from South Glens Falls Raceway (NY), one Lebanon Valley and one other. I've come across another 68 Shelby for sale and an early 60's Galaxie drag car that frequents car shows down in here in Florida with the same stickers! Knowing John, he probably snagged a stack of them from the track and sold them at car shows  ;D  but he did provide a few trophies the car earned over the years. That does not count the numerous plaques I got also. It has won a lot of Popular Vote awards (see SAAC Registry).
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 04:45:02 PM »
saaaaweeeet!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy