Author Topic: Green Valley 1965  (Read 5057 times)

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
Green Valley 1965
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »
Some excellent photos

http://www.cliffreuter.com/etceterinigreenvalleytexas1965.htm

Also photos from 1964 and 1966

Maybe these have been posted before, but some nice shots from the day!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Green Valley 1965
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
I think this photo is so da**  Awesome!!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
This is an interesting photo of 5R002 from The Green Valley Feb 14th 1965. It shows 5R002 with the drivers door open. Notice the Ford VIN tag still attached.

Cheers
~Earl J

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »

I agree, but when did the word 'damn' become the 'D' word?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »
This is an interesting photo of 5R002 from The Green Valley Feb 14th 1965. It shows 5R002 with the drivers door open. Notice the Ford VIN tag still attached.

Cheers
~Earl J
s
One of favorites, I think thats Phil Remington standing in the door

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »
 You guys beat me to both of my points. The picture of Ken Miles getting his 65 fully airborne is awesome, so classic!
 I had also spotted the picture of 002 still wearing it’s Ford build tag on the drivers door, what is up with that? Thanks for posting some very cool pictures Kerry.
Karl,
6s281
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:13:47 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »
When did 5R001,5R002,and 5R003 actually get the Shelby Vins attached to the cars? What was that time frame of the Shelby Vin being put on the cars, we know the mix up with the numbers put on the cars.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »

I agree, but when did the word 'damn' become the 'D' word?
Well,  you know how some are on here. You know the kind,  Bit** and gripe about everything. ::)
Yea, I marked out the “ch”.

Like Robert D. Raiford used to say on the JB&B show, “ it’s not the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA anymore,  it’s the UNITED STATES OF THE OFFENDED”.

Those words directly from Robert D. Raiford, God rest his Soul!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
Now let’s get back to our regularly scheduled program.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »
You guys beat me to both of my points. The picture of Ken Miles getting his 65 fully airborne is awesome, so classic!
 I had also spotted the picture of 002 still wearing it’s Ford build tag on the drivers door, what is up with that? Thanks for posting some very cool pictures Kerry.
Karl,
6s281
The door tags were supposed to be pryed off . It typically happened during the interior conversion work given some of the door tags have been found under the carpets during later restoration.Some cars still retain one or both rivets and maybe a scuff in the paint from when a screw driver was used to pry them off. Others just have two empty holes. Who knows the exact process on those first few cars while they were finalizing procedures. This same process continued throgh the end of 67. Some very rare instances of door tags that were forgotten to be taken off.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:19:01 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:39 PM »
Karl,
6s281
Just remember 5R001, 5R002 & 5S003 were prototypes, ordered as a 3 car batch prior to Chuck Cantwell working out all the DSO details.
I suggest while the development work on 5R002 & 5S003 was being done, the cars likely had only the Ford door plates.
Do we know when SAI designed and ordered the VIN plates? after 5R002 & 5S003 were complete??

respectfully
jp
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:29:10 PM by 6R07mi »
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Karl,
6s281
The door tags were supposed to be pryed off . It typically happened during the interior conversion work given some of the door tags have been found under the carpets during later restoration.Some cars still retain one or both rivets and maybe a scuff in the paint from when a screw driver was used to pry them off. Others just have two empty holes. Who knows the exact process on those first few cars while they were finalizing procedures. This same process continued throgh the end of 67. Some very rare instances of door tags that were forgotten to be taken off.

Hey Bob,

The point of my original post indicating the tag being left on the door in the above photo went over everyone's  head. When John Brown said he was restoring 5R002 back to the way 002 was raced at Green Valley in 65. He left off the door tag and as I believe when I looked at 002 at Laguna during the 50th, the tag was not there. Just say'in.

Cheers
~Earl J

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
Karl,
6s281
Just remember 5R001, 5R002 & 5S003 were prototypes, ordered as a 3 car batch prior to Chuck Cantwell working out all the DSO details.
I suggest while the development work on 5R002 & 5S003 was being done, the cars likely had only the Ford door plates.
Do we know when SAI designed and ordered the VIN plates? after 5R002 & 5S003 were complete??

respectfully
jp

I love this picture for so many different reasons!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 08:54:28 PM »
Karl,
6s281

Hey Bob,

The point of my original post indicating the tag being left on the door in the above photo went over everyone's  head. When John Brown said he was restoring 5R002 back to the way 002 was raced at Green Valley in 65. He left off the door tag and as I believe when I looked at 002 at Laguna during the 50th, the tag was not there. Just say'in.

Cheers
~Earl J
Earl,I had noted that detail in the picture.I was not trying to dismiss your observation in any way. I agree that given the window in time that the tag should be present on the restoration. I think it is a oversight and what with all of the other details that did get replicated in the historical context that the restorer deserves a pass on this one IMO. I have a high confidence level it will be rectified if it hasn't been already. I think I remember John Brown bringing it up in a unrelated "to do" list discussion.   I was directly responding to the question in reply #10 of why the door tag is still on the door "what is up with that?" in the picture. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mustang7red

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 02:00:20 AM »
When we restored 5r002 we did put the door tag on it just like 5s003 and 5r001. We had that picture (and more) and we knew it should be there. for some of those shows where we had to leave the car outside, we removed it so it could not be stolen.
    As to the timing of the placement of the under hood tags, during an interview with Jerry Schwarz he indicated the he in fact put the 3 Shelby number plates on the cars. He said that  when they were moving to the LAX facility they needed to move a large number of cars (approx. 40) to the new location. They hired some temporary workers who had drivers licenses to move the cars to LAX. The next morning one of the cars showed up missing. They were supposed to have all the data plates attached to the cars before they moved them but not all of them were attached and these first three cars were still sitting over in the corner and did not get the data plates put on. That morning Jerry said he could hear Carroll Shelby yelling in the office and the next thing he heard was "jerry come to the office" over the intercom. He thought he was in big trouble and when he entered the office he saw Carroll standing there with three data plates in his hand and he said "get these put on those cars before they move them". Jerry said he went over and got his pop rivet gun and put them on the cars with out any regard to which car was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, and that is how they were misnumbered.
   When Jerry told this story at the banquet at SAAC 39, Ted Sutton spoke up and said the car that was stolen was a cobra but some of the others had never heard that story about the stolen car. Jerry thought the car was Mustang.
  We were pretty confident that the date was sometime around the end of January 1965 but someone else might have an exact date...John Brown