Author Topic: eBay 1967 SHELBY GT350  (Read 5164 times)

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: eBay 1967 SHELBY GT350
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
Well in my eyes a restomod is its own category... A day 2 car is how most people viewed their car in the, well,  2nd day until present. A tiny percentile of cars on here actually could be considered (correct) cars. That leaves the rest of us to our own uncorrectness ;) not that its a bad thing... Just day 2  :)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 10:55:29 PM »
I hope we can get a new section where day 2 cars or race cars can congregate and leave the purists to their own devices. This way we can live without the constant banter of (should we have stripes on 67s) or not. If you love the CAUTION FAN sticker on your car, this would be the place to go without being reminded that it should not be there. ;D
It is it just me or does it seem strange how you have asked so many questions on "correctness "in the past when building your car but now that you are almost done and don't need the helpful "what is original" advice that you are one of the first to fuss about that very "what is original " issue in various threads you have posted on.I have been on this forum from the beginning and maybe in the past few years you have forgotten but I haven't forgotten answering the many original detail questions of yours because YOU ASKED . This is unrelated in respect to your engine of course but just about every other aspect of your build. I agree that there is nothing wrong with day 2 modifications and personalization of a car that you own. The same can be said about someone who wants to try and build their car like original. Both view points have a place here IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »
IF it is an original Shelby it is rare and cool in my book regardless of current configuration...l

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
    I am sure I will pay for this reply, But here it goes? I am sure this forum was started back before we had the restomods or  the Day 2 cars . It was designed for the time when we grew up seeing the cars from our age of growing up in the 60'and 70' and wishing we had such a nice car. Fast forward , some of us have been fortunate enough to carry out our dreams in our 60's and 70's like myself. Sure I don't mind the restomods , but this forum was built on keeping these cars cars as they were built on the the day they left the factory. I myself would love to get all the info from the people that have the knowledge that the Alumni members have. So lets leave the Restomod's have there day in the Sun another time.  That is just my opinion? Thanks Steve

Steve, I would like to respectfully challenge your opinion on this topic. First, this forum wasn't started until 2000-something so there were literally decades of Day 2 and restomod Shelbys before this forum came to be. Near as I can tell, this forum was created to be an online discussion group for ANYONE interested in classic Shelby American vehicles. Ownership was (and is) not required. The purpose of SAAC and this forum is clearly stated on the SAAC Memberlodge website which is linked at the top right of the forum page in addition to the SAAC website.

In view of that, I am dismayed at the desire of some forum members to fragment the relatively small community of people with an interest in classic Shelbys by promoting exclusive rather than inclusive sentiments. There are only a few thousand of us who are actively promoting and preserving the Marque and I can't see the wisdom in dividing that number over what amounts to personal taste issues.

I'm not a purist although I can appreciate those who are. I find it fascinating that there are those who know every finish, every marking, every bolt head stamping that make an original Shelby correct. And I appreciate those who have undertaken the incredible effort to restore their Shelby to assembly line correctness. There is a need for every one of them. But I also appreciate Day 2 cars (full disclaimer - I own one of those). I've always been one to think that the way a vehicle (or device of any kind) was originally manufactured is just a starting point. There are always areas where improvements can be made. What some people have done with their classic Shelby can be a source of inspiration and admiration, or it can be cringeworthy to the point of tears, that's just the way it is and nothing that we can do, short of purchasing the car and changing it to our liking, will change it one bit.

I believe that this forum should strive to be inclusive of all those who desire to participate, regardless of their personal tastes, but remain uncompromising in the documentation and pedigree of the original Shelby American automobiles. If there are those who disagree, so be it. But I promise I won't advocate for running you off.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
^^Perfectly stated. As were a few comments above that.

Lots of positive comments here. I think there is room for all of us.    8)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
KJSPEED- your wording was,is appropriate in many ways. This is a small sandbox to play in and we all have different opinions on how to play the game of vintage SHELBYS. Some like Original cars, some day 2, some heavily modified street cars, and some race cars. When some people ask for advice myself included, I am looking for some original correctness from the likes of BG and others to get these details correct- (How the cars came from the factory) I am also interested in performance engines and parts from people that know how to make these cars sing. That's how these cars were used when I was a young man and I still enjoy it that way today. So BOB to answer your statement why do I ask for advice from purists like yourself its because you are one that knows the smallest details of correctness and I was looking to have some of those details on my cars. To eliminate some of the negative banter on here I merely suggested a place to go where the correct cars could be discussed, and the others could go without busting their balls over... you know those engines never used Fram filters etc.

Steve Z

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
     I was not trying to single anyone out. I like coming to this site , because it offers the most comprehensive information on the cars as they originally came from the factory. I am one of those guys that is trying to learn and keep my cars as close to factory specs as feasibly possible. This is what I believe the forum was started on when it began. What the forum has become today and may be in the be in the future will always be positive in my perspective. I would also think that a Day 2 column in the forum would be a positive for everyone.  Thank you Steve

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »
I disagree. The Mustang Concours forum leans towards purity. Shelbys never were pure, and inconsistent as hell until Ford took over production in 1968.  Shelby modified Ford's design to make them handle, have ample power and win races.  There were constant running changes to improve performance and assembly. Day two mods and "Restomods" are two different animals all together.  This forum documents those vehicle that have survived, where many are, and attempts to protect the populous who purchase them from the unscrupulous sellers. It also provides a chance for the owners to converge, enjoy the history and connect with those like minded in preservation of Shelby-American history.  I became disgusted the last few years with the name being sold to let every arsehole with a shop to make vehicles that are no more than restomods with a name license.
It became about the dollar with Shelby and I HATE when some twit ask me if my Shelby is an Eleanor. NO, it's a REAL 1967 Shelby.
                                                                 -Keith
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:54:21 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »
My guess is every owner of a 67 or 68 Shelby has been asked if it is an Eleanor at one time or another.  I look at it as a great opportunity to educate the person on what a Shelby is.  Let's face it most people have absolutely no idea.  I have loved Shelby's since I was a young teenager back in the mid 70's and aside from car shows have never seen one on the road in the wild, and I am looking.  So, for a lot of folks the movies are their only exposure to a first generation "modified" Mustang.  It is flattering they notice and love it no matter what they call it.  Let's face it we all love to talk about our cars to anyone who has the slightest interest so cherish this moment and take the time to educate.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
On my way to SAAC 34 I’m at a Gas station somewhere and a guy asks me “you know what that is...........?”!!!!!

Um
Yeah,...I do....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI