News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Promotional Ford Shelby T-Bird

Started by SHELB66, December 08, 2018, 10:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

Saw this while cruising the Bay.  Not sure if it's been discussed yet.  Not mine but thought it was interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Thunderbird-LANDAU/264079451335?hash=item3d7c5ca4c7:g:4KcAAOSwvfpcDBeQ:rk:43:pf:0

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Scott b

Wow would expect a story like this in the April fools edition of the saac magazine

Sfm6sxxx

IIRC, this car (and letter) or one like it was debunked in one of the old Shelby Americans.

6S1114

BGlover67

I'm not a signature expert, but even I can see that this one is a fake:

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

Couple of points from an old guy...

Shelby's signature changed over time. He did not always sign with a line under his name.

Shelby American had a lot of vehicles that were not Mustangs or Cobras. I am not sure that adds anything to their value.

I dont believe Shelby had an inventory of cars from the 1960s, when I started in the mid 1980s, the Shelby Club didnt have a complete inventory of Shelbys and Cobras.

Bill

Wonder if a Marti report would confirm or debunk the story?
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

BGlover67

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 09, 2018, 08:58:23 AM

Shelby's signature changed over time. He did not always sign with a line under his name.

Shelby American had a lot of vehicles that were not Mustangs or Cobras. I am not sure that adds anything to their value.

I dont believe Shelby had an inventory of cars from the 1960s, when I started in the mid 1980s, the Shelby Club didnt have a complete inventory of Shelbys and Cobras.

I agree Pete that signatures change, but these signatures truly don't match.  The way the 'H' in Shelby begins is a very obvious feature, as is also the 'Y' in Shelby.  Perhaps a secretary signed it for him, but as Mr Gaines always says, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 09, 2018, 09:48:09 AM

I agree Pete that signatures change, but these signatures truly don't match.  The way the 'H' in Shelby begins is a very obvious feature, as is also the 'Y' in Shelby.  Perhaps a secretary signed it for him, but as Mr Gaines always says, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
I think Pete got me in the habit but regardless in this case truer words could not be spoken. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I think its a great motto, everyone should keep it in mind.

I must say, I enjoy the creativity of some. I dont think the are Marti Reports for 1966s

TJinSA

... Do we have an exemplar of Al Dowd's signature as well?
Tom Kubler
6S296

tesgt350

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 09, 2018, 09:48:09 AM

I have seen different "Y"s as I have several Signed items from over the years.  It is the "C" and the "S" that haven't seen before.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bill on December 09, 2018, 09:47:10 AM
Wonder if a Marti report would confirm or debunk the story?

Not a good year to get information from the Ford source from Kevin or Ford itself

One would think that if it was built and part of a promotion the seller would be showing ads, news coverage and so on from the promotion. Just a thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Shelby didn't sell cars from 6501 Imperial.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless