News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Promotional Ford Shelby T-Bird

Started by SHELB66, December 08, 2018, 10:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

roddster

$92,000 plus, and think, there are nine more out there like it.......

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on December 09, 2018, 08:32:10 AM
IIRC, this car (and letter) or one like it was debunked in one of the old Shelby Americans.

A similar letter was sent to the National Hot Rod Association , signed by CS himself stating that SAI "experimented with aluminum driveshafts" for '67 GT500s. BS from CS.

''Service" would have been done at HP Motors (IMHO) Not Santa Monica Ford ( on such a special vehicle)  I too believe it would have been sold through HP Motors. SAI only sold to dealers.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

... when was the promotion?

It seems Mr Becker might have some insight? I think he posts on the forum.....
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

greekz

The family of a friend of mine supposedly had one of these.  I was a 1966 T-Bird, black, and I vaguely remember it having a HP Motors license plate frame.  I thought he was putting me on at the time, but now maybe not.  However, that was over 50 years ago.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

acman63

you can never say never BUT  I asked the SAAC people that have all the records and paperwork and none ever have seen anything on this in any factory records.  Im guessing someone put a set of Cragar mags on it  from a 65 and the rest is history.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on December 09, 2018, 08:32:10 AM
IIRC, this car (and letter) or one like it was debunked in one of the old Shelby Americans.

I dug out the Shelby American (#65) where this car and a similar letter were sent to CS and then to Kopec for the SAAC Mail Bag.  See scan. 
As I mentioned, they were debunked after CS, Al Dowd and Lew Spencer called BS. 
I guess the owner didn't like the answer and waited for CS to pass on in order to try and cash in.  You can say what you want if no one is there to deny it.  I know I bought my car because it came with a letter stating Steve McQueen was being pleasured by Angie Dickinson & Anne Margaret  while doing 198 miles per hour across the Golden Gate Bridge.
If someone is willing to pay that kind of coin for a Thunderchicken with Cragars, they deserve what they get.

6S1114

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 17, 2018, 01:41:14 PM
... when was the promotion?

It seems Mr Becker might have some insight? I think he posts on the forum.....

The Flying Mullet?

6S1114

silverton_ford

In the auction there is a letter addressed to Joel Werchowsky on October 4, 1982 from Carroll Shelby.   The address is 2915 Arglye Salem, Oregon.  This is probably the letter that SAAC debunked in SA # 65.

I live in Salem, OR.   Salem is located in Marion County.  I went to the Marion County Tax Assessor website map and looked up the property. 

The property has been owned by Mr. & Mrs. Callahan since 1979.   In the owner history section there is Mr. Hatteberg who sold it in 1979 and Mr & Mrs. Callahan who purchased it in 1979.  The Werchowsky name is not listed as owning the house at any time relevant to the date of the letter in the auction.  That doesn't prove that Joel Werchowsky didn't live there at some point, but I think it helps out the case of this being a phony story.

Don Johnston

Someone is going to be vary angry and disappointed when proper research is done.  Bidding has reached $155,300.00

Maybe Bill Cosby did a test drive in it too!  8)

Coralsnake

Unlikely the bid history is sketchy at best
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

silverton_ford

On a Thunderbird Facebook page one guy shared the window sticker.  (see attached).   Cool, but it doesn't show proof of any sort of promotion or there being 10 of them.

Interesting, not sure why the ebay ad doesn't have it.

68stangcjfb

It is a Brass Tag car so it must have been built for someone high up on the food chain. But you're right. no proof of a promotion or how many of them were built.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 17, 2018, 05:51:44 PM
Unlikely the bid history is sketchy at best

Plenty of new bidders with less than 3 bid history usually = shill bidding

I can hardly wait for the law suit  ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold