News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Promotional Ford Shelby T-Bird

Started by SHELB66, December 08, 2018, 10:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

More information on the T-Bird registry site, just for fun (FYI).   I'm still having a hard time believing it is something special to command this kind of money.  Oh well, I'm glad it isn't my money. 

http://tbird.info/registry/Data_Sheet_list.php?q=(VIN~equals~6Y87Q113856)

Krelboyne

Quote from: silverton_ford on December 17, 2018, 06:26:51 PM
On a Thunderbird Facebook page one guy shared the window sticker.  (see attached).   Cool, but it doesn't show proof of any sort of promotion or there being 10 of them.

Interesting, not sure why the ebay ad doesn't have it.

Does that invoice look a little too perfect to anyone else? My 1969 Dearborn window sticker had printing from what I always thought was a Daisy Wheel Printer. Letters and numbers not quite in alignment up and down.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Even if the story is true it's definitely way out on the periphery as far as being a Shelby collectible...Frankly I would prefer a can of "pit stop"for the man cave any day(plus it would take up a helluva lot less room.. ;)

Don Johnston

Quote from: 557 on December 17, 2018, 09:10:59 PM
Even if the story is true it's definitely way out on the periphery as far as being a Shelby collectible...Frankly I would prefer a can of "pit stop"for the man cave any day(plus it would take up a helluva lot less room.. ;)
If that means you are willing to match the T-Bird top bid price for a can of "pit stop" instead, I have a can I will sell you!  8)

QuickSilverShelby

This auction is full of sh!t.  I guarantee the only reason it's bid up to $155k is because there might be $200k of crack in the trunk.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Quote from: Don Johnston on December 17, 2018, 09:23:49 PM
Quote from: 557 on December 17, 2018, 09:10:59 PM
If that means you are willing to match the T-Bird top bid price for a can of "pit stop" instead, I have a can I will sell you!  8)
.   No just that I (personally)find the pit stop more interesting ,not comeasurate in value... ;)

gt350hr

Look on the pink invoice at the last item "tag #301 M 003". That is an ''asset tag number" also known as a "brass tag" . These were put on certain vehicles  loaned to specific individuals for personal or development work. Actual ownership was STILL Ford Motor Company. These were often sold or "released" to the person they were allocated to at a later date. I have a couple of Ford documents for '68-69 "brass tag " vehicle tracking. Smokey Yunick had three vehicles allocated to him as an example. Some of the vehicles on my list are marked "returned" and others "to be returned". These cars are hard to document so I can see why "creative history" might be used to hype it.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

stephen_becker

The ebay ad does not have the picture of the original invoice showing because the seller just got it from Kevin Marti and it was to late to add a pix to the auction but you can be rest-assured that the high bidder/buyer/new owner will get the original - Some of you all gotta be very careful on this and other forums about talking trash about someones car and/or about someone them-selves as your words may come back to haunt you in the form of some very expensive litigation -

Just saying...............

stephen_becker

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about in the/my above post (see below)

-------------------------------------------------------

QuickSilverShelby

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: 1966 Promotional Ford Shelby T-Bird
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
This auction is full of sh!t.  I guarantee the only reason it's bid up to $155k is because there might be $200k of crack in the trunk.

Sfm6sxxx

I would be more concerned with litigation arising from the use of a letter purportedly signed by CS as provenance given that he himself indicated it was a forgery.  If that document is specious in nature, then there is nothing tying the car directly to CS as ever having used the car as a demo.  It may have been sent to Shelby American , but that means very little.  If there were ten cars as alleged, then I would think that there is a good possibility that Kevin Marti (they will always be Emminger reports to me) could pull the info based upon the destination (Shelby American).  In addition, it is quite possible that they would be close in numerical VIN order to this one if they were all ordered the same way. 

Coming from a family of attorneys, just sayin...................

6S1114

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

Sfm6sxxx  ......................  thank you.

stephen_becker

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on December 18, 2018, 01:19:08 PM
I would be more concerned with litigation arising from the use of a letter purportedly signed by CS as provenance given that he himself indicated it was a forgery.  If that document is specious in nature, then there is nothing tying the car directly to CS as ever having used the car as a demo.  It may have been sent to Shelby American , but that means very little.  If there were ten cars as alleged, then I would think that there is a good possibility that Kevin Marti (they will always be Emminger reports to me) could pull the info based upon the destination (Shelby American).  In addition, it is quite possible that they would be close in numerical VIN order to this one if they were all ordered the same way. 

You could be correct - I did not see where CS publicly, in writing, dated with his signature, disavowed the (original) "letter" that appears to have been out there for decades - This new discovery from Kevin Marti of the original invoice certainly does add, in my opinion, additional mystery to the car -  Just watching from the sidelines - I do not have a dog in the fight - SGB

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: stephen_becker on December 18, 2018, 01:49:04 PM
Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on December 18, 2018, 01:19:08 PM

You could be correct - I did not see where CS publicly, in writing, dated with his signature, disavowed the (original) "letter" that appears to have been out there for decades - This new discovery from Kevin Marti of the original invoice certainly does add, in my opinion, additional mystery to the car -  Just watching from the sidelines - I do not have a dog in the fight - SGB

You are correct.  I am not aware of  a signed letter from CS disavowing it.  I have also never seen a letter from Bill Clinton denying his alleged acts with Monica.

However, ignoring his epic April Fool's jokes, I highly doubt that Kopec would risk libel 21 years ago by lying about his verbal/written communications with CS, Al Dowd, and Lew Spencer.  Although, I suppose it could be a conspiracy to cheat the seller out of a fair price for this treasure 21 years in the future.
That said, given that we are discussing a possible forgery, one could also call into question the letter that refutes it.  Sort of a snake eating its own tail (just realized the snake irony). 
Aside from the questionable signature, I don't know a self respecting secretary in the 80's that would capitalize all the letters in CS's name in the salutation.   

6S1114

Sfm6sxxx

Just in, Shelby American has announced that they will license a "limited" run of continuation T-Birds for the 52nd anniversary of the historic promotion.  Just bring your car and $50k.  You will receive a set of five (not four) Cragar Shelby  Rims from Paradise Wheels and a Certificate of Authenticity.  For $1k more, your dash can be signed by Matt Damon.

6S1114

stephen_becker

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on December 18, 2018, 02:49:18 PM
Just in, Shelby American has announced that they will license a "limited" run of continuation T-Birds for the 52nd anniversary of the historic promotion.  Just bring your car and $50k.  You will receive a set of five (not four) Cragar Shelby  Rims from Paradise Wheels and a Certificate of Authenticity.  For $1k more, your dash can be signed by Matt Damon.

Dear god help us all, please god, anything, but not Matt Damon!!! ;)