Author Topic: 1964 Ford Falcon Race car, Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale  (Read 8076 times)

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: 1964 Ford Falcon Race car, Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Bob Johnson car,   saw it this summer,  looks amazing
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

A great piece of early Shelby history for sure.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
In the description.
My question
What is a “Super T-10” vs a regular T-10?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
Its a later transmission ,  used different ratio s and better synchros.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
   How does a 64 vin , and fiberglass parts make it a '63 prototype??  What am I missing. Also when did SCCA allow fiberglass body panels on "production" cars?
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
Its a later transmission ,  used different ratio s and better synchros.

Thnx for explanation
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
   How does a 64 vin , and fiberglass parts make it a '63 prototype??  What am I missing. Also when did SCCA allow fiberglass body panels on "production" cars?
    Randy
      :-[ :-\ :'(  Is this a real car that has been owner adjusted to suit his needs, or a back yard special?

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:37 PM »
In talking with one of the other forum members a while back about SCCA Falcons..the fiberglass hood, rear deck lid and fiberglass front fenders were legal in SCCA A/S (A sedan)...the fiberglass doors are not legal. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »
  Kranky,
       I am not doubting your word at all , but I would like to see the  "rule book" on that one.
    Randy

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
To Randy....unfortunately I don't have a copy of the SCCA rule book for 1967 but in talking to TA22 (Gary) who referred the question about Falcons to Mike Eddy (ex-Cordts/Dittemore-TA Falcon)...Eddy had mentioned that for SCCA Trans-Am racing and SCCA A-Sedan racing, the front hood, rear deck lid and front fenders were legal (although his car currently has metal front fenders) and that the FIA legal fiberglass doors (homologated for rally racing) were not.  If this was British Touring cars after 1966....then this would all be legal for Group 5 spec built cars in Europe. 

You would think that the SCCA tech inspectors would have caught this issue during a tech inspection and noted the lightness of the door and the different sound it made when you shut the door.  The following link notes that the doors had all of the "roll up windows":

https://www.rcnmag.com/blog/bob-johnson-ford-falcon-races-again-after-30-years

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
Kranky is absolutely correct   !!!

This is a real deal car originally Prairie Beige with red interior............documented ownership chain from new..................I have interviewed Don Sesslar extensively about this car.  Purportedly built by Dearborn Steel Tubing(unconfirmed by me).  Documented race history.

Last driven at Pocono Speedway @ SAAC ?? in the '80's in its current livery (owned and driven by Jim Harrell in this livery).  Engine expired during the event and parked-----prior owner now resides in a Federally subsidized gated community....current owner is well known throughout the vintage racing, SACC and Historic Trans Am communities with a eyebrow raising reputation.

several of us have tracked this car for 30 years or more

Randy...you should google Bob Johnson and Don Sesslar look at the race results..........smooch

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
   I have NO doubt as to the history of the car , NOR am I trying to discredit it AT ALL.  "My" question is simply about the fiberglass panels being SCCA legal.
"I" had never heard about that. "To me" fiberglass panels would be difficult to get the SCCA to accept. I am open to education and learn something new every day. The description of the car has some issues like "prototype '63" when it clearly has a '64 vin , and the 999 part is a real stretch as far as having some significance (again IMHO) .
      Randy

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »
Understood Randy.  The FIA/ACCUS homologation papers had all of the fiberglass components approved.  The SCCA, it seems, made changes to the homologated items based upon their perceived safety concerns.  That was done routinelky for both A/Sedan and Trans Am.  That said, fiberglass panels did run at various times on three Falcons that I am aware of --the Johnson/Harrell car, the Pike car and the Cordts/Dittemore Falcon.  Fiberglass doors or bumpers were never allowed.  This was confirmed to me by both Sesslar and Pike............  We can take that for what its worth.  Since I wasn't there, it's the only evidence I am aware of---I am certainly open to hearing more.  Regarding the alleged prototype, 999 claims or description..............I have no evidence to prove or disprove...caveat emptor

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 12:58:49 PM »
UPDATE......I have new information: the 4th owner of 43 years served 7 months as a guest of the state, was released and has been a model citizen since his release.  The event the car was last run was SAAC 7.