News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1964 Ford Falcon Race car, Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale

Started by CSX 4133, December 09, 2018, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

I read an interesting story on the internet that this car was actually a 63 that had a 64 body fitted so the dash and some other major components were are a tell tale sign of some racing monkey business that tech inspectors were not privy to. ;) If this is that car it is interesting how things were done back then!

1109RWHP

You might be thinking of Mike Eddy's falcon. It is a 63 with 64 body panels. For some reason they gave 64's a 500 lb or so break over the 63 model.

427heaven

gt350hr

Mike's panel change is well documented since his father was the one doing the work! It IS a '63 chassis and has a '63 vin. Not like the car in question.

Gary ,
        Thanks for the education. I can't "know it all"  and never profess to. As I said I learn something new every day. Facts often give ego a kick in the nuts if you give facts the opportunity. I'm waiving the white flag .

Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

honker

gt350hr & kranky,  Here's a link (from those other guys  ;) ) that shows select pages from the S.C.C.A. year books, 1967 included. second one shown, there is a page there pertaining to body work.

Mike

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7850.0

gt350hr

Nothing about substitution of fiberglass body panels . Unless i'm blind.

CSX 4133

The reference to compliance with 1966 FIA regulations must be where the usage of alternate body panels comes in. If anyone has a copy of those FIA reg's maybe that would explain the rules on body panel makeup.

gt350hr

Now it makes sense. Alan Mann Falcon stuff IIRC.  I really like how they mention attachment as "screwed , glued" they forgot tattooed. LOL The SCCA probably accepted that "as is" . I want some of those "aluminum stampings", like they were ever made! talk about a broad description. SCCA would ask for part numbers and availability of said parts.
     Randy

Tom Honegger

The second owner apparently was Jim Harrell. I remember seeing it in his shop 1969(?)
when he was racing his "69 Mustang in A Sedan and selected Trans Am races.
Jim is still building "special" cars in the Carolinas. He may be a good resource for answering
questions from that era. I seem to remember that some of the photos in the Boss 302
Chassis Manual were of his '69 build.

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

You are very correct, Tom...good suggestion....I have sent him an inquiry.

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

....a color photo...for those skeptics of Black and White............

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

Spent two and a half hours with Jim Harrell tonight................a true gentlemen. 

What I can confirm:  the car is the real deal, purchased from Bob Johnson (with a wink and nod, built from a car purchased from a used car lot--not DST or H/M) , raced in A/S by Johnson and Harrell with ALL of the fiberglass parts noted in the Homologation papers--including doors, it was sold by Harrell without suspension or drivetrain (ALL of which was transferred to another car), the homologation papers I have and shared with him are distinctly different from his recollection.  Oh and ................ if you want  add'l information...you'll have to call me---sorry..........history  is interesting  GG

gt350hr

Great job Gary! That should end any speculation as to it's origin. Excellent race history all the way back to the used car lot.