Author Topic: Rebuilding harmonic balancer for 428PI  (Read 2477 times)

Eritor

• View Profile
Rebuilding harmonic balancer for 428PI
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
I think I need to rebuild my harmonic balancer, crank damper. Should I do it or will I destroy an original hard to find part? I can’t see any ignition figures on it. I have it now in my hand. Who is the best for this job?  Damper C6AE-6316A and pulleys C1AE-6312A. Ford has change number on that damper.
Shelby GT500 #0329 Wimbledon, black interior, C6.
Shelby GT500 -13 Black with black stripes, TP, PP, Recaro, Glass roof.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

roddster

• View Profile
Re: Rebuilding harmonic balancer for 428PI
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
  Google "Damper Doctor".  Nice work with quick turnaround.  I recall they are out in California.

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »
I've had two done by Damper Doctor.  As noted, good turnaround and price. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
I have heard positive comments about Dale Manufacturing in Salem, OR.    Give them a try.  http://hbrepair.com/

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
we have restored many  .  Damper Doctor and Dudes . can repair the seals but they dont do any cosmetic detailing. If there are pits or hammer marks they will be there when you get it back .   Also if theres no timing marks this may be one from a 427  that the marks were on the timing pointer.  maybe strip the paint and see
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Eritor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
I think its the original one sitting on my GT500 428PI. Could it have been used on 427 to? You mean I must take away pulley and blast it or clean it before sending it for rebuilding. I can`t find any email to Damper doctors website and they don`t answer at there web forms. Will be in LA, San Francisco, Scottsdale in January.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
I think I need to rebuild my harmonic balancer, crank damper. Should I do it or will I destroy an original hard to find part? I can’t see any ignition figures on it. I have it now in my hand. Who is the best for this job?  Damper C6AE-6316A and pulleys C1AE-6312A. Ford has change number on that damper.
The picture shows a C4AE 427 balancer that has had the 4 obliterated so that a 6 can be metal stamped in place of the 4 . This was done on some early 67 GT500 balancers so that they could be used by the factory as a C6AE balancer. With that said it only successfully becomes a 67 GT500 balancer after factory machining to the edges of the diameter have been done to champhered edges (for sway bar?) and timing marks added to the readable surface of the balancer. Timing marks being indexed by a timing pointer is the only way the timing marks can be read on a C6AE balancer. If it doesn't have those two details champered edges and timing marks then it is not a legitimate C6AE 67 GT500 balancer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »
Just to let you know, my balancer has all the details Bob mentioned: Beveled edges front and rear and timing marks. The 427 damper simply has a single V groove on the back edge of the pulley groove, as the timing marks are on the pointer on a 427.

I also noted the drilled holes on your damper are different than my C6AE Re-stamp. Many early dampers are spot faced off with the stamped 6.  I have my engine out currently and will try to take a picture and post. I would try media blasting your pulley as Bob suggested to find the timing marks. If they aren't there, you have a 427 damper.
There is one on Ebay currently. However, 1000.00 is a bit pricey.
                                                                                   -Keith

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »
The picture shows a C4AE 427 balancer that has had the 4 obliterated so that a 6 can be metal stamped in place of the 4 . This was done on some early 67 GT500 balancers so that they could be used by the factory as a C6AE balancer. With that said it only successfully becomes a 67 GT500 balancer after factory machining to the edges of the diameter have been done to champhered edges (for sway bar?) and timing marks added to the readable surface of the balancer. Timing marks being indexed by a timing pointer is the only way the timing marks can be read on a C6AE balancer. If it doesn't have those two details champered edges and timing marks then it is not a legitimate C6AE 67 GT500 balancer.
I should add that the vast majority of 67 GT500 production got the C6AE balancer with the "6" cast into the mold like the rest of the letters .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »
Here is my harmonic balancer. I have an early vehicle.
Note the spot-faced and stamped 6.

Eritor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
Look like mine Keith. Can you measure the diameter? Bob said, only successfully becomes a 67 GT500 balancer after factory machining to the edges of the diameter have been done to champhered edges (for sway bar?)  Erik

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Look like mine Keith. Can you measure the diameter? Bob said, only successfully becomes a 67 GT500 balancer after factory machining to the edges of the diameter have been done to champhered edges (for sway bar?)  Erik
The edges and the timing marks should look like the third picture in reply #9 .