News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

bullitt mustang

Started by papa scoops, December 11, 2018, 11:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa scoops

is on display at le mays in Tacoma wa. is it real? how do we know? I've followed it from early days, in barn, got wrecked by owner, parked, partialy restored, on display with 2019 mustang, know there were 3 built, think two for movie,  1 for McQueen (personal, later given away) movie cars were NOT highland green, were repainted dk green for movie including rocker and side moldings,shaved, holes for new side mirror etc. has anyone seen the car yet? don't want to drive 20 miles to find a fake. anyone? phred

Coralsnake

Is ir the one from Mexico or the one from the US ?

silverton_ford

Press release on the Lemay website.   https://www.americascarmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/ACM-Bullitt-Mustang-FINAL.pdf

It is the USA car.  The one that has been on tour for a while hitting a lot of major shows.

I am planning on making the 200 mile one way trip to see it at the end of January when they also have the "Heros of Bavaria" dinner.  Should be a fun day.  Regardless, the Lemay Museum is quite a site to see and everyone should visit it at least once if they are in the area and have lots of time.

Chad

Quote from: papa scoops on December 11, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
is on display at le mays in Tacoma wa. is it real? how do we know? I've followed it from early days, in barn, got wrecked by owner, parked, partialy restored, on display with 2019 mustang, know there were 3 built, think two for movie,  1 for McQueen (personal, later given away) movie cars were NOT highland green, were repainted dk green for movie including rocker and side moldings,shaved, holes for new side mirror etc. has anyone seen the car yet? don't want to drive 20 miles to find a fake. anyone? phred

Never heard there were three Built mustangs

Krelboyne

Quote from: silverton_ford on December 11, 2018, 01:03:36 PM
Press release on the Lemay website.   https://www.americascarmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/ACM-Bullitt-Mustang-FINAL.pdf

It is the USA car.  The one that has been on tour for a while hitting a lot of major shows.

I am planning on making the 200 mile one way trip to see it at the end of January when they also have the "Heros of Bavaria" dinner.  Should be a fun day.  Regardless, the Lemay Museum is quite a site to see and everyone should visit it at least once if they are in the area and have lots of time.

When Harold Lemay was alive, he used to have an open house on two locations in Tacoma. I was fortunate enough to take in the show. Huge collection, tremendously larger than what is in the museum by the dome. Glad that I saw it when I did.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

TransamEd

Following it since 1993 actually and having built one of the earliest Bullitt websites for it with David Kunz and Anthony Bologna (eye witness of the movie), David had the barn pics since 1997.

I'd say this car certainly is worth to see it today. Compare the barn pic against it when you see it. HVA obviously confirmed it is the true one and registered it as #21 of historic valuable cars.

Then again I think one of the most important movie car -  the Bullitt car - is worth to hold another mystery for the future ... the story does not end here or after the tour.

The other Mexico car #558 will most probably appear at the 55th at the Mustang Owners museum.

There were never 3, only 2, but WB or other crew employees built a few that popped up later as the "third" or "true ones".

Richstang

So is that 1997 barn find #559?

If so was it repainted / repaired after the movie was filmed?
Some of the dents (left fender / front bumper) in the movie are no longer there.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Shelby73

Not picking it but different mirror and the front wheel in original picture has less offset. I know things get changed over the years.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

Chad

I believe the pictures you are showing are of 558

Richstang

Quote from: Chad on December 11, 2018, 09:40:19 PM
I believe the pictures you are showing are of 558

I thought #558 was the big stunt car used at the end of the Movie and #559 was used for the majority of filming for all the driving sequences?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

C6ZZGT

Quote from: Krelboyne on December 11, 2018, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: silverton_ford on December 11, 2018, 01:03:36 PM

When Harold Lemay was alive, he used to have an open house on two locations in Tacoma. I was fortunate enough to take in the show. Huge collection, tremendously larger than what is in the museum by the dome. Glad that I saw it when I did.

Lemay still has an open house like the old days so you can still see all the buildings and stuff at the end of August.
6R07A143871,since 10/83
selling parts since 1981.

Bill

Picture above is 559 in mid to late 90's....Somewhere, I may have a Polaroid of the car taken circa 1987, from an encounter with the (then local) owner of the car...
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

TransamEd

Yes, 559 is the car pictured in the barn and shown today around. It was repaired after the movie, before it got sold to the next owner. Thus movie pictures don't tell the full truth. Insiders have tried to diferentiate the cars in the movie scene by scene, but had little luck to find #559 visible clearly, some claim a few, maybe because it was mostly used only for the in-car scenes.

A hint for the different damage on both car (front left damage on#558  vs the rear right on #559) is mentioned here in an interview of Dave with Lee Brown.
http://www.ponysite.de/Bullitt_LeeBrown.htm

Don Johnston

Quote from: vtgt500 on December 13, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
I spent a bit of time studying the car at SEMA this fall.  OK, but nothing special I'd drive far to see.  Has typical quarter panel rot.  Could post photos if any interest.

Movie cars have that effect on the fans of many  starring vehicles.  They become celebrities that want or want to own a clone.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: vtgt500 on December 13, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
I spent a bit of time studying the car at SEMA this fall.  OK, but nothing special I'd drive far to see.  Has typical quarter panel rot.  Could post photos if any interest.
I for one would love to see pictures if you could. Thanks in advance.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby