Author Topic: Correct Powersteering Pulley 67 GT500 w AC  (Read 1991 times)

Mike James

• View Profile
Correct Powersteering Pulley 67 GT500 w AC
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
Getting ready to buy a pump from someone on this forum.  What pump pulley do I need to get for a AC car, GT500?  I know a 7AB is correct for non AC car, but Is a 7AB wrong for an AC car?  My AC is vintage air not original, my car started as a non AC car but I live in Arizona so having a car without AC is not possible.  Right now I have a 7AD on the current pump which is not the pump with the correct return nipple.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Correct Powersteering Pulley 67 GT500 w AC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
Getting ready to buy a pump from someone on this forum.  What pump pulley do I need to get for a AC car, GT500?  I know a 7AB is correct for non AC car, but Is a 7AB wrong for an AC car?  My AC is vintage air not original, my car started as a non AC car but I live in Arizona so having a car without AC is not possible.  Right now I have a 7AD on the current pump which is not the pump with the correct return nipple.
The 7AB will not work on a AC car because the offset is wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »
Which one will I need Bob?
Thanks!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »
I show the code "AC" for vehicles with Air Conditioning. They seem much more plentiful than the 7AB dual belt P/S pulley.
There are plenty on Ebay.  I assume your vehicle has the original 428 PI balancer with the bolt on two groove pulley?
You'll also need to change your alternator to a single belt pulley.

-Keith

CSX 3183

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »

I have the correct pulley for you application, looks brand new

Member of SAAC since 1977

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »
I show the code "AC" for vehicles with Air Conditioning. They seem much more plentiful than the 7AB dual belt P/S pulley.
There are plenty on Ebay.  I assume your vehicle has the original 428 PI balancer with the bolt on two groove pulley?

-Keith
Keith, it is easy to make this mistake because the GT500 air PS pulley is so rare. The correct pulley is marked 7AC . The AC marked pulley is not for a 67 Shelby application . The 7AC pulley is used on all 67 GT350 and GT500 with AC only. Fortunately the 7AC has been reproduced. I would advise not waiting to see if you can find a genuine one. it is not impossible but extremely unlikely to put it mildly.  They are that rare. Jim at Shelby parts carries the nice repro.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:36:48 AM »
Getting ready to buy a pump from someone on this forum.  What pump pulley do I need to get for a AC car, GT500?  I know a 7AB is correct for non AC car, but Is a 7AB wrong for an AC car? My AC is vintage air not original, my car started as a non AC car but I live in Arizona so having a car without AC is not possible.  Right now I have a 7AD on the current pump which is not the pump with the correct return nipple.
With all this talk about correct factory pulleys let us not lose sight of the fact that the car has after market AC. If the air is a after market unit then you might consider a more common PS pulley for your PS pump too. The AF and or the 7AA are more common AC Bigblock PS pulley's. The correct pulley is much more expensive and will not add much given the after market compressor etc. Just offering a constructive lower priced alternative. This would be information as it refers to the way a factory add on air would work with pulley's. I can only assume this will work as they are factory. I have no idea if these factory BB AC PS pulley's will work for sure with a Auto Air after market unit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:46:28 AM by Bob Gaines »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »

-Keith
Keith, it is easy to make this mistake because the GT500 air PS pulley is so rare. The correct pulley is marked 7AC . The AC marked pulley is not for a 67 Shelby application . The 7AC pulley is used on all 67 GT350 and GT500 with AC only. Fortunately the 7AC has been reproduced. I would advise not waiting to see if you can find a genuine one. it is not impossible but extremely unlikely to put it mildly.  They are that rare. Jim at Shelby parts carries the nice repro.

Thanks, Bob. I wasn't aware it used the GT350 PS pulley.  The 7AC pulley is huge. Larger than the 7AB. Thank you for the heads up. I am starting to collect AC parts for my vehicle. Too damn hot to drive in the summer here without cooling. I sweat my posterior off in July driving seven miles to services on a Sunday morning.
                                                                             -Keith