Author Topic: hipo harmonic balancer  (Read 1647 times)

tblackgt350

• View Profile
hipo harmonic balancer
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:33:10 AM »
 I'm rebuilding my 289 and noticed the rubber in the harmonic balancer is cracking; do you guys have a vote in how to fix this? rebuild? buy the Scott Drake repro? don't worry so much?
 Thanks

Also, the rubber gasket on the fuel cap is worn out. No telling what could get in the tank if I drive in the rain; can these be replaced?

Thanks for your time

Rocket

• View Profile
Re: hipo harmonic balancer
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
Several years ago, I used Damper Dudes  out of California.  It really looks good, and turn around time wasn't very long. Maybe 4 weeks, I don't remember.    Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »
A couple of things to consider

Do you care about matching numbers and those sorts of details? The originals are dated ;) So if that is important your likely rebuilding this one. If not it might be trading or sales material to another owner looking for a certain date

Is yours in good shape other than the rubber? No hammer helper dents, rust pitting or damage ....? If so you might choose the repo

Not aware of any rubber gasket on an original gas cap I can remember
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tblackgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
 The damper dudes guy says he can rebuild this piece for 150.00 with a one day turn around. Sounds pretty good; I think I'll try that.

The 66 gas cap has a thin round rubber seal around the inner perimeter (at least mine does) and it is worn flat, doesn't really do much anymore.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
The damper dudes guy says he can rebuild this piece for 150.00 with a one day turn around. Sounds pretty good; I think I'll try that.

The 66 gas cap has a thin round rubber seal around the inner perimeter (at least mine does) and it is worn flat, doesn't really do much anymore.
There isn't a rubber seal on the factory gas cap. I think you are confusing a fiber material disc that is held in place by the twist locking tangs of the cap with rubber. It is not sold separately. You can make a sealing disc out of gasket material, find a used cap to use or rob one off of or buy a new replacement cap for the one you have now. There may be other choices but those are the ones that come to mind .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby