Author Topic: Bad Choices By Ebay Seller  (Read 7790 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Bad Choices By Ebay Seller
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
I have tried to coax a ebay seller who sometimes frequents this forum by posting to do the right thing and not be deceptive in his description. Sometimes he changes and other times he does not. I was disappointed when I saw him selling a part recently that was 67 only and yet he was saying that it was also for 68 in his description heading . In this case the part a washer squirter in 67 was single nozzle and later in 67 double nozzle. In 68 double nozzle only. This seller knows better.  My message to him -FYI those are 67 only spray nozzles. 68 all had duel tips . The transition was in later 67 production. Bob G . His quick response was "Yep, 69 and 70 had the same differences. That is why I point out which ones they are so people can make the choice. :) Andrew " .  That perception is not very clear to me in this case.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/163430416906?ul_noapp=true .  I am very disappointed in him because he sells a lot on ebay  and I and others on this forum have helped him many times in the past. A very disappointing pattern has developed . Some of his auction descriptions are worse then others. I hope he starts making better choices in the future. Of course I will remove this post if he does.  In the mean time Buyer Beware of description language in any of his auctions until confirmed otherwise .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:56:50 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Bad Choices By Ebay Seller
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'd like to give the seller the benefit of the doubt.  He currently has near 11,795 listings.  I expect he may get hundreds and hundreds of email a day.  Can you imagine the time and effort to manage all those inquiries and making adjustments to all these listings?  He has to prioritize his efforts and correcting the tiny error is such a low priority to his other efforts, he has pushed it off to fix later or let it ride.  The seller has always treated me honest and fairly.  I do not believe he is intentionally misleading buyers.   The description as far as he knows was accurate based on his experience.   Compared to other sellers, this is a very very minor error.  The images in the auction are excellent and show the parts well.  The potential buyers own the responsibility to make sure its what they want, not the seller.  Buyer to confirm fitment.  I have no issue with this listing. The question is" Is there is enough information for the potential buyers to make an informed purchase?  I strongly belived the answer is "Yes".

The West Coast Classic Cougar site shows this same nozzle application to 1968 Cougar and Mustang as well as 1967.

Respectively

Cory
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:39:04 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'd like to give the seller the benefit of the doubt.  He currently has near 11,795 listings.  I expect he may get hundreds and hundreds of email a day.  Can you imagine the time and effort to manage all those inquiries and making adjustments to all these listings?  He has to prioritize his efforts and correcting the tiny error is such a low priority to his other efforts, he has pushed it off to fix later or let it ride.  The seller has always treated me honest and fairly.  I do not believe he is intentionally misleading buyers.   The description as far as he knows was accurate based on his experience.   Compared to other sellers, this is a very very minor error.  The images in the auction are excellent and show the parts well.  The potential buyers own the responsibility to make sure its what they want, not the seller.  Buyer to confirm fitment.  I have no issue with this listing. The question is" Is there is enough information for the potential buyers to make an informed purchase?  I strongly belived the answer is "Yes".

Respectively

Cory
Cory , the seller responded to my post within a hour . He knows me also. I have given him the benefit of the doubt many times before. You should re read the post because you overlooked his reply quote where he admitted knowing the difference between the two years . That admission takes the benefit of the doubt out of the equation . It bothered me that with that admission he still felt it was OK to show the 68 application in his title along with a number of other 68 applications in his description. 1968 Ford Mustang, California Special, KR, XR7-G, GTE.. You may not be aware since you typically post about 65/66 subject but the high lighted cars that he lists as applicable in his description are all 1968 only cars. I am not sure how you expect every potential buyer to make a informed decision if the buyer is giving him misleading and false information . This is just the tip of the ice burg . You can shift through just the auctions with Shelby in the title and find many auctions that have misleading incorrect information that would lead the uninformed to buy wrong by trusting the description. Maybe you think we should leave all potential buyers with less knowledge then ourselves to fend for themselves with a " they should know better" or all is fair type attitude but I don't. Pookie would be proud.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:19:22 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17:16 PM »
Cory , you should do your research first to confirm what is 67 and what is 68 if you are skeptical of my expertise. In this case you better go back to school. If you don't know the difference in this instance how do you expect a un informed buyer to know the difference. If this was a single incident I could see giving him a pass but if you check out many of his other "Shelby" marked auctions you can see a pattern of sloppy misrepresentation of details . You of course have to have the background knowledge to tell which is correct and which is false and mis representation. It reads like you think we should leave Mustang and Shelby buyers are forum friends included to their own devices to navigate through false and misleading information just like on the pookie auctions.   

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:44:38 AM »
Cory , you should do your research first to confirm what is 67 and what is 68 if you are skeptical of my expertise. In this case you better go back to school. If you don't know the difference in this instance how do you expect a un informed buyer to know the difference. If this was a single incident I could see giving him a pass but if you check out many of his other "Shelby" marked auctions you can see a pattern of sloppy misrepresentation of details . You of course have to have the background knowledge to tell which is correct and which is false and mis representation. It reads like you think we should leave Mustang and Shelby buyers are forum friends included to their own devices to navigate through false and misleading information just like on the pookie auctions.

Hi Bob,

I can tell I have touched on a delicate matter for you, but thought important to share my opinion on the forum as well. I don't disagree with you on your assessment.   It is an onerous responsibility to keep sellers of Mustang and Shelby parts honest and all the forum members should benefit.  I applaud you for your attempt, but nearly impossible to administer.  I apologize if you I have agitated you.  I am not questioning your expertise.  You are very well informed.  You are quite helpful and I appreciate you sharing information often.  I can always learn something from you.  When I make a purchase, if I am not familiar with the item, I attempt to find alternate reliable resources to confirm the seller's description is accurate or not.  I do not take them at face value and others should not as well.   I too have posted on this forum auctions with incorrect descriptions.   It is unfortunate that sellers make  misrepresentations on their offerings.  It is this forum that helps other members be informed.  Together, we are smarter.   I still stand by my opinion of the seller.

Take care

Cory

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:49:55 AM by 6s1640 »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
If I were Andrew and just found out that a Part I was selling was actually a one Year only Part, (actually 3/4's of a Year) I would change the ad and raise the price.   ;D

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
If I were Andrew and just found out that a Part I was selling was actually a one Year only Part, (actually 3/4's of a Year) I would change the ad and raise the price.   ;D

Don't give him any ideas  :o
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »

Hi Bob,

I can tell I have touched on a delicate matter for you, but thought important to share my opinion on the forum as well. I don't disagree with you on your assessment.   It is an onerous responsibility to keep sellers of Mustang and Shelby parts honest and all the forum members should benefit.  I applaud you for your attempt, but nearly impossible to administer.  I apologize if you I have agitated you.  I am not questioning your expertise.  You are very well informed.  You are quite helpful and I appreciate you sharing information often.  I can always learn something from you.  When I make a purchase, if I am not familiar with the item, I attempt to find alternate reliable resources to confirm the seller's description is accurate or not.  I do not take them at face value and others should not as well.   I too have posted on this forum auctions with incorrect descriptions.   It is unfortunate that sellers make  misrepresentations on their offerings.  It is this forum that helps other members be informed.  Together, we are smarter.   I still stand by my opinion of the seller.

Take care

Cory
Yes, it bothers me that Andrew lurks on the edge of propriety sometimes crossing the line. He used to not be like that.  A buyer needs to confirm the description information before a purchase especially in the case of the sellers auctions but many times ebay buyers depend on the seller to know what he is talking about or to be above board with his description. I only alert when I see something completely out of the ordinary or like in this case a disturbing pattern . We certainly can't alert to all of the thousands of these kind of deceptive descriptions and auction titles but if we say or do nothing then we become part of the problem. I can't be a full time policeman on this BS but it eases my conscience when I let my friends here know from time to time.   

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
I agree. You cant police the eBay, but when there is something so out of whack it needs to be called out.

If you dontdo it, I fear everyone will be selling $2000 shift knobs

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:33 PM »
Hi Bob,

I agree with you.  I am guilty of exactly what you said ".... in the case of the sellers auctions but many times ebay buyers depend on the seller to know what he is talking about or to be above board with his description."  I purchased, what the seller described as an original 65-66 HiPo differential yoke.  I did not do my homework (my fault).  He did provide enough info if I had done my homework would have determine an inaccurate description.   After receiving and comparing to actual HiPo yoke, turns out it was not.  The seller is a well known Shebly Mustang restorer/retailer.  (I don't think he is on this site as a member.)  I trusted him to not have to do my homework.  After trading several email with him, he was still convinced I was wrong and he was right.  I sent him data out of the Ford MPC with key dimensions that were in conflict with his yoke.  (The homework I should I done.)  He did the right thing and accepted my return, but it was a hassle.  It pays to do your home work or have current knowledge of the right parts.  Every purchased should be an informed one.

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:39:36 PM by 6s1640 »

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:40 PM »
Thanks Bob and others for trying to keep it straight.

Once pointed out, a simple wording change would be great.  Point out the correct application, and "also will fit"....
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »

Once pointed out, a simple wording change would be great. Point out the correct application, and "also will fit"....
Exactly my thoughts.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
I recently pointed out to a seller on ebay that the battery topper they are selling with yellow caps and a decal to mimic the early 65-67 battery was not correct for the size of the topper (24F).  The auction stated that it was 'correct' for 65-66 Mustang and GT350.  Their response was to contact the company that makes the reproduction.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »

Once pointed out, a simple wording change would be great. Point out the correct application, and "also will fit"....
Exactly my thoughts.

You need to accept the fact that you know more than many of us and that like it or not you are acting as the professor here.

Some of us occasionally think that we knew the correct answer but are wrong. Some of us are very stubborn and need time to see the truth.

If you choose to take the path as the giver of light, you need to have patience that the faithful will eventually see it?  ;)

Hallelujah! The witch doctor you hired is working on me...somewhat. ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
  You knew this was coming........

"I" would rather be corrected when I make a mistake and correct it than to argue and turn my mistake into PROVEN stupidity by arguing in front of my peers.

Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.