News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 At Mecum

Started by Fastback66, December 14, 2018, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 14, 2018, 08:16:11 PM
Someone is using fake 1968 hubcaps!    >:(
.     Yeah,but you didn't read the description....Those are SHELBY CRAGAR wheels....o.k..... ;D ::)

Rodster-500

Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 15, 2018, 12:10:19 AM
Not even sure where to start with that one.  Guess it would fall into the 'nice driver' category. ??? ???

Assuming the car is solid other than the obvious concours issues, bought right and within the buyers budget it would be a fun driver.

95% of the local car show folks wouldn't know or care about the concours details.

Coralsnake

Here in lies the issue... no one else can tell you how much change you will tolerate.  Everyone has a different level of whats okay. Does sheet metal repair bother you?  If it does, how much is acceptable?

How much have you investigated the history of this car?

No disrespect, but Im not sure why whats correct or not, always seems to fall back to a discussion of concours/ not concours?

The lack of spot welds is not a "concours" concern to me. Its a discussion of body integrity. Like was this a repair? And if yes, how much was repaired?

Fastback66

I don't want a completely correct car, I am not a collector. I plan to drive and wrench on the car as a hobby.. I enjoy making incorrect cars more correct.  If it appeasers to be a solid foundation and a good price I'm interested. Correct drive train is great but not a deal breaker if priced correctly... I prefer correct sheet metal. Thanks for all the input it's been very helpful.

8T03S1425

When wired correctly, will the fog lights light without the headlights on? How about when the high beams are lit?
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Coralsnake

Chris Thauberger

Don't assume anything about this car. Definitely have it inspected by someone who know what they are looking for and don't over pay just because it's part of the 'RPM collection"

It seems obvious someone was going for the concours look otherwise why the wheel covers and bias tires.

There is plenty wrong with this car. Shouldn't be hard to spot for and experienced inspector.

Probably why its at auction ::)

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: prototypefan on December 15, 2018, 09:19:52 AM
During assembly the front and rear aprons overlap onto the shock towers. On the flat horizontal area where the fenders bolt on you can see distinct spot welds.

These overlap areas are very prone to rust.

Lazy shops will hack out the rot and fill the hole with bondo or fiberglass.

Some will sandblast the area to remove the rot and fill with bondo or fiberglass

some will tack or weld in a single piece of metal and fill either side with bondo

proper repair requires cutting out the area and spot welding new metal in

It's one of the easiest areas to spot if a car has corrosion.......and more importantly the level of repair

The most ingenious repair I've seen as I live in a rust belt and most cars here have corrosion in that area was:
sandblasting out the corrosion being sure to get out the black corrosion ensuring it doesn't come back, tacking in a piece of metal in the center of the hole where two layers of metal once was and filling the area with bondo.......then as the bondo was setting.....take and HB pencil and press the eraser into the bondo that is still setting up which leaves a depression the same size as an original spot weld

bring a magnet or paint thickness guage to check the thickness of the paint in this area. Get on your knees and look above the front tires at the same area with a bright flashlight from below......rarely is the area fixed properly from the underside
Check out these spot weld beauties on my car.  Both the drivers and passenger inner fenders have the same spot welds.  I had a look under the drivers and passenger fenders and could see the spot welds from the underside as well. 

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

corbins

Those are really nice clean ones... most I've seen are not so clean and crisp. But as noted, they are easily replicated in a restoration and it is a very common area of rust on most every mustang . You lucky :)

Special Ed

That blue 68 gt 350  mecum car has a muffler problem looks like someone hit it with a floor jack or somethin. My second shelby was a 68 gt 350 4-speed fastback that i drove most of the time back in early 80s even took it deer huntin when nothing else would start. It was the best to drive handled well no overheating & easy to work on then i sold it to buy a 70 convertible.

Hertz74

rough crowd,  what will she bring