Author Topic: MICO Master Cylinder Attachment Fasteners  (Read 2502 times)

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
MICO Master Cylinder Attachment Fasteners
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »
Guys, I need some confirmation regarding the 3 bolts that attach the master cylinder to the firewall adapter.

Were these bolts 3/8-16 x 1.00" long hex-head (9/16") "garden variety" plated hardware store (from yester-year) units that had no head markings? Or were they...................?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: MICO Master Cylinder Attachment Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
   Frank,
       The bolts used on 6S477 ( one of the earliest to have a Mico) were  , two non plated, 9/16ths wrench size . 3/8ths coarse by 1" long on the upper two holes and a ''header bolt" 7/8ths thread length , on the bottom hole.  It is important to note my car along with MANY others had the mounting bracket changed "under warranty" to an "improved design" @ High Performance Motors.  Sooooo, the question "could be" did a mechanic @HP use a header bolt on purpose or was it done at SAI?  I have seen it on several other cars so I know it wasn't a fluke. The header bolt is the same style as the header bolts supplied by Cyclone ( not Rockwell) at the time. Those masters were installed at SAI so some bolts had to be added by SAI over those assembly line furnished bolts.  I would like to hear what other "un molested" cars have. I say unmolested as the header bolt could easily be mistaken as "previous owner/mechanic added".
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
   Frank,
       The bolts used on 6S477 ( one of the earliest to have a Mico) were  , two non plated, 9/16ths wrench size . 3/8ths coarse by 1" long on the upper two holes and a ''header bolt" 7/8ths thread length , on the bottom hole.  It is important to note my car along with MANY others had the mounting bracket changed "under warranty" to an "improved design" @ High Performance Motors.  Sooooo, the question "could be" did a mechanic @HP use a header bolt on purpose or was it done at SAI?  I have seen it on several other cars so I know it wasn't a fluke. The header bolt is the same style as the header bolts supplied by Cyclone ( not Rockwell) at the time. Those masters were installed at SAI so some bolts had to be added by SAI over those assembly line furnished bolts.  I would like to hear what other "un molested" cars have. I say unmolested as the header bolt could easily be mistaken as "previous owner/mechanic added".
     Randy
I have also seen the header bolt a number of times.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
I've owned 6S550 since the fall of 1967, and the bottom 2 bolts are header bolts. That's the way it was when I bought it, and service records from Howard do not show that the Mico bracket was changed. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
   Frank,
     Randy
I have also seen the header bolt a number of times.

GREAT feedback, guys! My followup question would be: Was the bottom MC mounting bolt on cars with a later serial number (my serial is 6S803) a header bolt? If so, was it a Cyclone style or maybe a Rockford style (the bolts used on my headers are Rockford)?

As always, thanks for your responses. This forum is extremely helpful.

Frank

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
Ive had two of these cars in here the last year and both had these bolts and nuts on them.  I believe I was the first one to take the cars apart
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »
  The important thing to remember is this conversion was done at SAI or HP Motors ( early bracket change out) , not the ''closed environment" of the San Jose assembly plant by people who "just did the job" rather than follow a "procedure"  like line workers had to do.
      "Some" variation should be expected.
        Randy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:47:39 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
Will have to look, but think the bottom one is not a header bolt. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Ive had two of these cars in here the last year and both had these bolts and nuts on them.  I believe I was the first one to take the cars apart

Jim, was the bolt with the recessed face and captured lock washer the bottom bolt?

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback/pictures.

Frank