Author Topic: 66 350 Grille  (Read 1620 times)

tblackgt350

• View Profile
66 350 Grille
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »
 While the motor is out of the car I want to get the grille cleaned up; I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the way to do this is to remove the grille, scrub it with steel wool, repaint the bars satin black then go over the front of the grille again with steel wool to remove paint from the chrome. Does this sound right? Things look to be good except for the chipping black paint.

Also, is the monte carlo bar supposed to be gloss black?

It seems that every time I look at the car now I seem some other thing that I want to make better.

Thanks

Rocket

• View Profile
Re: 66 350 Grille
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »
That's the way I did my grille on 550. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
I like to tape off the highlighted areas. Mask and then use a razor blade and cut the tape along the fins. Saves a lot of elbow grease trying to get the paint off those thin fins. The masking goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
While the motor is out of the car I want to get the grille cleaned up; I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the way to do this is to remove the grille, scrub it with steel wool, repaint the bars satin black then go over the front of the grille again with steel wool to remove paint from the chrome. Does this sound right? Things look to be good except for the chipping black paint.

Also, is the monte carlo bar supposed to be gloss black?

It seems that every time I look at the car now I seem some other thing that I want to make better.

Thanks
Monte Carlo bar was typically painted a semi gloss black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby