Author Topic: Bring 'Em Back Alive Dept: Rob's 1968 GT350 Almost Ready to Drive Again  (Read 6330 times)

CSX4781

• View Profile
One of our local members (Rob F.) is about to get his 68 GT350 on the road. He bought it partially disassembled (motor and trans out, and part of the interior out as well) about a year ago. Car is 1456 (I think) and was used for SAAC open track events by a previous owner from 1980 to around 1998 or so. Has been lowered, Koni shocks and the power steering removed. Also has a built up (original shortblock) 302 with ported 289HP heads, Cobra hi-riser, 650 Holley and headers. He also installed an original Cobra scattershield. The original toploader with a Hurst shifter. Car has oldish but nice paint, part original/part restored interior, and the motor has already been run in on a stand. One of those cars that has never been in bad shape. I took these photos a couple of weeks ago, was almost ready to start the engine in the car, may be running/driving today. Cool thing is this is an original white/blue stripe car, should be pretty quick with the subtle mods that have been done to it. The Shelby world needs more nice driver cars like this on the road.

Dave

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bring 'Em Back Alive Dept: Rob's 1968 GT350 Almost Ready to Drive Again
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
+ 1 agreed
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:18:29 PM »
Looks great!

Love white - hope to get to see it in person sometime.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »

Excellent!!!!!  Fun Driver :)

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »
Great car!

I'm sure the owner will have a blast with it and will get all kinds of complements.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »
Nice.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »
Great looking piece
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »
Looks great!

Love white - hope to get to see it in person sometime.

- Phillip

+1
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

CSX4781

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 10:36:03 PM »
Thanks, guys. There are a number of Shelbys around here (and I suspect in other highly populated areas) where guys took decent cars apart (years ago) to rebuild them mechanically or make them nicer, and stalled out. There are at least three or four in Tidewater that are on their way back (including my 69 GT350 conv) in a similar manner to Rob's. Let's face it, we ain't gonna live forever, so don't let the fear of criticism stop you from putting that Shelby out in the garage back together the best way you can afford and enjoy it while you can still do so. Also, a few more photos.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:38:38 PM by CSX4781 »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
Thanks, guys. There are a number of Shelbys around here (and I suspect in other highly populated areas) where guys took decent cars apart (years ago) to rebuild them mechanically or make them nicer, and stalled out. There are at least three or four in Tidewater that are on their way back (including my 69 GT350 conv) in a similar manner to Rob's. Let's face it, we ain't gonna live forever, so don't let the fear of criticism stop you from putting that Shelby out in the garage back together the best way you can afford and enjoy it while you can still do so. Also, a few more photos.

Dave

Agreed. I learned the hard way about letting a car project sit for too long. Weeks turn into decades pretty quickly.

My rule now is "Never take the engine out of a car that you don't have a solid plan to get 'er fixed and reinstalled ASAP."  And "Don't let other stuff get in the way of that plan."
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

Dave

Agreed. I learned the hard way about letting a car project sit for too long. Weeks turn into decades pretty quickly.

My rule now is "Never take the engine out of a car that you don't have a solid plan to get 'er fixed and reinstalled ASAP."  And "Don't let other stuff get in the way of that plan."

LIFE happens...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy