News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Dearborn Convention Hotel

Started by Rodster-500, December 16, 2018, 02:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I put my limit at about 1500-2,000 miles
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

QuickSilverShelby

How about a Florida convention in March or April?  Living up here in the Great White North would pretty much guarantee that I would go to a March/April Florida convention.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on December 17, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
The question needs to be asked how many miles are people willing to travel to these venues? It appears the old folks don't want to travel much more then 100-250 miles. That cuts out many from participating. :-[

It's more an issue of how far do want to drive your old car? Just because we now have a higher number of cars in Florida because of retiree's, what makes you think 1) those folks will attend 2) they will bring their cars?

A Florida convention is just a roll of the dice. Is there a place they can park their walkers and is there a Shelby version that can be shown in Concourse?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 18, 2018, 08:07:01 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on December 17, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
The question needs to be asked how many miles are people willing to travel to these venues? It appears the old folks don't want to travel much more then 100-250 miles. That cuts out many from participating. :-[

It's more an issue of how far do want to drive your old car? Just because we now have a higher number of cars in Florida because of retiree's, what makes you think 1) those folks will attend 2) they will bring their cars?

A Florida convention is just a roll of the dice. Is there a place they can park their walkers and is there a Shelby version that can be shown in Concourse?
This looks concourse.

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

kjspeed

As one of the three SAAC members living in Florida  ;)  I think it would be great to have the national convention here, but I can certainly understand that a national event needs to be located somewhere that will draw a significant number of cars and participants. Maybe a regional event down here is more practical?

Although the Florida Region advertises exponentially more events than any other region, they are mostly centered in South Florida and very few are Shelby related. Those that are seem to be geared for the newer models.

According to the current SAAC Member directory, there are 122 SAAC members in Florida including a Director. I know of a few other classic Shelby owners down here that aren't members, so it seems there are at least enough people to populate a small event. I think an event in the spring or fall would draw a few out-of-staters as well. I would be curious to see what kind of interest there is and what impediments there are to organizing such an event.

~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

Quote from: kjspeed on December 18, 2018, 09:47:00 AM
As one of the three SAAC members living in Florida  ;)  I think it would be great to have the national convention here, but I can certainly understand that a national event needs to be located somewhere that will draw a significant number of cars and participants. Maybe a regional event down here is more practical?

Although the Florida Region advertises exponentially more events than any other region, they are mostly centered in South Florida and very few are Shelby related. Those that are seem to be geared for the newer models.

According to the current SAAC Member directory, there are 122 SAAC members in Florida including a Director. I know of a few other classic Shelby owners down here that aren't members, so it seems there are at least enough people to populate a small event. I think an event in the spring or fall would draw a few out-of-staters as well. I would be curious to see what kind of interest there is and what impediments there are to organizing such an event.

~Kevin

At this point in SAAC's history, this should be seriously looked at and not casually dismissed. Timing is important all things considered. You've got weather to deal with.

Charlotte was done in the summer. I do remember walking around the outside of the track with the big "current temperature sign" showing 102...but "it's a dry heat", but so is a pizza oven?

How about "spring break" timing? I want to see if I'm mistaken for a college student on the beach?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!