Author Topic: MCACN 2018  (Read 39149 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: MCACN 2018
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
That is a wonderful story! Not to sound sarcastic here or detract from the moment but what will Millennials reunite with in their later years? An iPhone they once had??? Will they get sentimental over it and the functions it had? We live in interesting times gentlemen.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
The black/white GT500 Convertible is #2139

Its the only car to win highest awards at an MCA national, Tulsa MidAmerica, SAAC national and MCACN in the same year. Restored using all original parts ( no reproductions)

Without debate the best restored GT500 ever and probably the best restored 1968 Shelby ever.
I think Ben Wagoner’s GT500 KR has to be in the discussion.

We are honored by your recognition, Pete.  It has been quite a year.  Thanks to the crew at Billups for making this happen.
MANY others have had their part, also, including Pete and Tim.  Agree totally about Ben's car; he is my idol.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
Kieth, you’re right, sensory overload is not hitting the mark on how great the show was.
Being parked next to a car as nice as yours was an honor ( sorry about the two big dirt piles I left on the floor after cleaning the mud out of my tires)
I took a lot of detailed pictures of your car as I want to replicate some of the “originality” on my car
I’m really glad you showed your car, it was beautiful and the accolades it received were great and well received.
Maybe we can talk Bob Ashton into having a new “Snake Pit” and we all can meet back every year at MCACN.
Now it’s on to making plans for SAAC 44, hope to see you there sharing your car and it’s stories with more folks
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
Because of the body design the engine placement would have to be engineered forward . I suppose as a design /concept car they didn't care if it moved under it's own power so they didn't spend the time or effort for that aspect.
Just repeating what the what the curator from the Detroit museum answered when the question was asked of him on Saturday.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »
Same thing he told me on a Friday (or was it Thursday?)
He said Ford wanted the foot box increased in length and it actually touches the back of the block. He said in its present state you cannot even install cylinder heads on the 260 block that’s in the car. He told that both cars have always been non-runners and that the MCACN Show and Peeble Beach are the only times that the cars have been displayed to the public as a pair
Sure they have nicks and scratches but they are a beautiful and you wish they would have made them Seeing them there made me wish I’d have kept that model I made of the Cougar II
On Thursday he let me look them over really close, but he didn’t offer to open them up and I didn’t want to push my luck by asking for my picture to be taken sitting in it.
Neat historical pieces that I wished I owned
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »
Kieth, you’re right, sensory overload is not hitting the mark on how great the show was.
Being parked next to a car as nice as yours was an honor ( sorry about the two big dirt piles I left on the floor after cleaning the mud out of my tires)
I took a lot of detailed pictures of your car as I want to replicate some of the “originality” on my car
I’m really glad you showed your car, it was beautiful and the accolades it received were great and well received.
Maybe we can talk Bob Ashton into having a new “Snake Pit” and we all can meet back every year at MCACN.
Now it’s on to making plans for SAAC 44, hope to see you there sharing your car and it’s stories with more folks

Steve,

It was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife - you are both wonderful people, and your Mustang Monthly cover car just blew me away! I thought I was a Long Term Owner, but you left me in the dust in that regard.

Your easy going friendliness and comic skills kept me afloat during the early stressful part of this great unknown-to-me event - Thank you for that.

Congrats to you and your history with that famous Hertz car.

Kieth

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
Same thing he told me on a Friday (or was it Thursday?)
He said Ford wanted the foot box increased in length and it actually touches the back of the block. He said in its present state you cannot even install cylinder heads on the 260 block that’s in the car. He told that both cars have always been non-runners and that the MCACN Show and Peeble Beach are the only times that the cars have been displayed to the public as a pair
Sure they have nicks and scratches but they are a beautiful and you wish they would have made them Seeing them there made me wish I’d have kept that model I made of the Cougar II
On Thursday he let me look them over really close, but he didn’t offer to open them up and I didn’t want to push my luck by asking for my picture to be taken sitting in it.
Neat historical pieces that I wished I owned

Update: I’ve been told by a person with some better knowledge than me that the Silver car did run and was at an early SAAC convention.
Running or not I’d take them both

cobrajeff

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
Whoever told you guys that the Bordinat Cobra and Cougar II were never running cars doesn't know what he is talking about.   The cockpit dimensions were not changed, the bodywork on both cars was extended ahead of the radiator and behind the rear wheels.   Both of these cars ran back in the sixties.
I spent many hours working on them myself back in 2003, preparing to reveal then together for the first time ever at SAAC 29.   I talked to a lot of the people who built these cars, and even some that had driven them.   The engines were stripped of their cylinder heads and induction systems by Ford before they were donated to the Henry Ford Museum to make them non-functional.    We are so very fortunate that they decided to make them into push cars rather than crush them.   Dan Case very graciously offered some vintage Cobra parts to help restore the engines, and I volunteered to perform the installation, but the Detroit Historical Society was not interested in having the cars made into running vehicles.   They probably face fewer liability concerns if the cars cannot be driven.

Jeff Burgy

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:08:09 PM by cobrajeff »

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
Thanks for the back up and pictures.

Martha and I were standing by the cars at the MCACN event. We listened to one round of the spokesman's speech and didn't want to hear it a second time.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:27 PM »
Thanks for the info and great pics Jeff - glad to know my memory isn't faulty in this instance.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
All, see link starting at the 1:56 point is why I posted the comment above;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm_xlyhkZX0

Jeff and others glad to know that is not the case in earlier times.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
Here's a few pictures

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
And some more photos

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »
and a few more

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
One of the artists was taking pictures of Keith's car