Author Topic: GT350 9-inch Rear Axle  (Read 5840 times)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
GT350 9-inch Rear Axle
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
I'm pulling my question about Concours GT350 axle markings out of the "SPEC" thread and into its own thread here.

Although I asked for specifics on all paint markings, maybe it's better to just concentrate of a few specific areas of the rear axle. But if you have any pics of your original axle housing, you can post them here or email them to me if you like.

Some of general areas relating to Concours restoration  were dealt with in the Perkins article here:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1703-detailing-and-restoring-the-mustang-9-inch-rear-axle/

I understand that the axle assembly in question is from a later car, but some of his restoration tips may well apply to the 67 cars. I would not copy them indiscriminately.

I'll start with the paper tag.
Can anyone vouch for the existence of a Sterling paper tag on the housing?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: GT350 9-inch Rear Axle
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
I'm pulling my question about Concours GT350 axle markings out of the "SPEC" thread and into its own thread here.

Although I asked for specifics on all paint markings, maybe it's better to just concentrate of a few specific areas of the rear axle. But if you have any pics of your original axle housing, you can post them here or email them to me if you like.

Some of general areas relating to Concours restoration  were dealt with in the Perkins article here:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1703-detailing-and-restoring-the-mustang-9-inch-rear-axle/

I understand that the axle assembly in question is from a later car, but some of his restoration tips may well apply to the 67 cars. I would not copy them indiscriminately.

That article that is extremely good for a 69/70 but will cause problems if you follow it for a 67 Shelby. Yes there are many things that apply . Many things do not apply to a 67 Shelby. Unless you know which is which you can get into trouble. Yes the paper tag was on the housing . The one on 0001 was intact but yellowed and brittle. I sent it off 30 years ago to someone (still in the business) I trusted to copy it and he lost it with no apology. >:(  A few people make them like dead nuts on . The paper tag info comes from the info on the metal tag.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
Has anyone reproduced the paper tag since then? Would they be universal to a '67 Shelby?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
Shelbydoug --

https://www.deadnutson.com/rear-axle-paper-id-tags/

According to his chart for 68, the code for a 68 GT350 is different than a 68 GT500.
That may indicate the same is true for 67.

It may be that the axle code for a 67 GT350 is the same as for the 68 GT350.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:38:15 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
Has anyone reproduced the paper tag since then? Would they be universal to a '67 Shelby?
Re read my post. Dead Nuts On offers some I think they source them from another . It is different information on the tag/sticker depending on rear end ratio. As the BP article indicates they were used well into the future . I have not seen a example earlier then 67 production year. They were used at least on the 9 inch rears . I have not investigated if they were used on the 8 inch rear but would not be surprised.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:46:46 AM »
……………………. I have not seen a example earlier then 67 production year. They were used at least on the 9 inch rears . I have not investigated if they were used on the 8 inch rear but would not be surprised.

Yes the paper ID labels were used on 8" also back at least into 65 production. Different color paper as well as codes of course
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:04 AM »
The application chart that I see on their page is too small to read and doesn't enlarge for me. Is there a separate link for that chart?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
Click on this pic.
Bill

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
……………………. I have not seen a example earlier then 67 production year. They were used at least on the 9 inch rears . I have not investigated if they were used on the 8 inch rear but would not be surprised.

Yes the paper ID labels were used on 8" also back at least into 65 production. Different color paper as well as codes of course
Jeff, have you seen them on 65/66 Shelby nine inch rears or just the 8 inch?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
You betcha.

But, it doesn't clear up anything for 67.

My correct metal tag -- I assume it's correct due to the correct-for-my-build date, axle ratio, and 'other markings' (plus all the correct attributes of my housing and brakes) -- has a Sterling plant code that is at odds with the 68 chart.   

In the Perkins write-up the axle tube's hand written plant code, the paper tape and the tag all agree. 
I'm not going out on a limb and saying 67 GT350 axle assemblies would have a 70-style hand written plant code on the tube as I find no evidence of that on mine (yet), but one would think (uh-oh, here we go) that at minimum the tag's Sterling plant code and the paper tape would agree.
Bill

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »
Jeff, have you seen them on 65/66 Shelby nine inch rears or just the 8 inch?

Both

I'm not going out on a limb and saying 67 GT350 axle assemblies would have a 70-style hand written plant code on the tube as I find no evidence of that on mine (yet), but one would think (uh-oh, here we go) that at minimum the tag's Sterling plant code and the paper tape would agree.

Would not agree and that is why I didn't mention that to you in our discussions.

I've not found writing on the axles tubes (other than a couple of numbers, a line or the writing in the nook of the drivers side tube to center center housing I mentioned in a PM)   on any of the early 65-68 San Jose built cars so think you can give up the search ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »

This tag that is wrapped around the axle tube is for a 67 GT350 4 speed .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I envision these labels as being on a wide roll of masking tape type material?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
I envision these labels as being on a wide roll of masking tape type material?

Haven't seen that sort of texture to the paper not evidence (though it may be long gone) of adhesive Just haven't seen anything on the axle after they are long gone though oy makes sense that something had to hold them to the axle tube between assembly/completion and when they were installed in the car.

Ends are normally pretty neat and without design from what I've seen so far so maybe premeasured, unlike , for comparison, engine ID stickers with their jagged ends.