News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Emblems On The First Production GT500

Started by 67411F--0100-ENG., December 20, 2018, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello Everyone,

"Thanks" goes to Brian Styles who sent some interesting information to me this morning regarding the original flat emblems used on 0100.  It seems that GT500 emblems for the fenders, gas cap, dash, and the trunk were not available when the car was built in November of 1966.  Based on the attached photos it sure looks like flat GT350 emblems were carefully modified to make flat GT500 emblems.  A number of flat GT350 emblems were sacrificed to make the original flat GT500 emblems used on 0100 so it could be loaned out to the magazines for testing. 

Here is a link that Brian provided that discusses when the name GT500 started to be used:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/mkbXyL0UFis

Thanks,
Eric

tesgt350

Bob Gaines

Very interesting pictures. A big thanks goes out to Brian and also Eric for sharing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67st102

"It seems that GT500 emblems for the fenders, gas cap, dash, and the trunk were not available when the car was built in November of 1966."

Interesting photos and observations.  However, here are some cropped photos of emblems on the First 1967 Shelby GT500 - which was assembled in September 1966.  At least with the fender emblem, there doesn't appear to be any lines showing that the emblem was "pieced" together.  You gotta love the "reinforcing tape" that is holding the insert to the emblem though. These photos are from when Chuck Cantwell was performance testing the Shelby out at the Kingman, AZ test track back in September or October of 1966 - so period correct.

propayne

^^^ Doesn't looked pieced together, but still looks like they are faked for the camera, perhaps using a one piece print instead of the zeros only.

Just my observation.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: 67st102 on December 21, 2018, 09:31:13 AM
"It seems that GT500 emblems for the fenders, gas cap, dash, and the trunk were not available when the car was built in November of 1966."

Interesting photos and observations.  However, here are some cropped photos of emblems on the First 1967 Shelby GT500 - which was assembled in September 1966.  At least with the fender emblem, there doesn't appear to be any lines showing that the emblem was "pieced" together.  You gotta love the "reinforcing tape" that is holding the insert to the emblem though. These photos are from when Chuck Cantwell was performance testing the Shelby out at the Kingman, AZ test track back in September or October of 1966 - so period correct.

The emblems on your car were most likely handmade.  The snake on the fender emblem is taller than what is on the production fender emblems; and the numbers on the trunk emblem are not in perfect horizontal alignment.  Based on the photos of 0100, it is quite obvious that production GT500 emblems were not available when the First Production 1967 Shelby GT500 was assembled.

Richstang

Lowell,
These are the nicest photos I've seen of the emblems on your car.
-Do you happen to have any of the steering wheel center. In the Sid every picture it looks like they only show "Shelby (Snake) Cobra" with no model designation.

Eric,
I agree. The emblems on V-738-2 were likely handmade for the brochure photo-shoot. I don't recall seeing close up photos in those Sid Avery pictures. Maybe the same vendor did these that did them for the '68 styling brochure/ad cars. 
-Do you have any close ups of your steering wheel center emblem for #0100 in any of the magazine shoots?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

honker

Is this 0100 in the Car & Driver test ? this is what I have on my computer, you loose resolution if you enlarge, I can't get to the magazine at the moment, but maybe I could get a tighter scan from it.

Mike

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: honker on December 21, 2018, 12:21:59 PM
Is this 0100 in the Car & Driver test ? this is what I have on my computer, you loose resolution if you enlarge, I can't get to the magazine at the moment, but maybe I could get a tighter scan from it.

Mike

Mike,

This photo of 0100's interior is actually a Motor Trend out-take that was published in the Corvette vs GT500 road test article.  Car number 0173 was used for the actual road test.

Thanks,
Eric

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Richstang on December 21, 2018, 11:50:37 AM
Lowell,
-Do you happen to have any of the steering wheel center. In the Sid every picture it looks like they only show "Shelby (Snake) Cobra" with no model designation.

Eric,
I agree. The emblems on V-738-2 were likely handmade for the brochure photo-shoot. I don't recall seeing close up photos in those Sid Avery pictures. Maybe the same vendor did these that did them for the '68 styling brochure/ad cars. 
-Do you have any close ups of your steering wheel center emblem for #0100 in any of the magazine shoots?

Hello Rich,

Please see the attached photos of 0100's steering wheel emblem.  To my eyes it does not appear to have been altered.

Thanks,
Eric

Richstang

Thanks Mike,

I had that photo but in the wrong folder.
It certainly appears that #0100 had the model designation GT500 in the steering wheel emblem at that point (12/12/66).
That same photo show the dash emblem with the carefully cut "5" "0" "0" overlaid on the 350 model designation as shown above.

Thanks Eric,
I agree it looks to be a single part with the clear gloss finish and with no alterations. 

67st102

"Do you happen to have any of the steering wheel center. In the Sid Avery picture it looks like they only show "Shelby (Snake) Cobra" with no model designation"

Hi Rich.  Here you go - and yes you are correct, no model designation on horn button.  (PR photo taken by Sid Avery back in 1966)

And to support Eric's post (and not high jack) - also note in PR photo - "non standard Shelby items"  including non deluxe black dash, no tach - but 140 mph cluster vs. 120 mph on standard cluster, prototype trim pad that runs above the radio, and looks like no chrome trim by pedals.  Obviously lots to get sorted out prior to  first production cars were completed.

Richstang

Thank You Lowell,

I find it interesting they made your car "V-738-2" with no model designation in the steering wheel emblem (probably the same for the #0176 GT350 Brochure car) and proceeded to make two separate pieces for each model in production (like what we see on Eric's #0100).   

Yes, I have noticed those other unique details you noted on your car. They were certainly in a rush to get it completed and photographed.
I imagine the same was true to get #0100 done urgently for the media road tests. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on December 21, 2018, 12:58:59 PM
Quote from: Richstang on December 21, 2018, 11:50:37 AM
Lowell,

Eric,

Hello Rich,

Please see the attached photos of 0100's steering wheel emblem.  To my eyes it does not appear to have been altered.

Thanks,
Eric
The Cobra art work is different between the two . The top one is the early style artwork as seen on the flat emblems and bottom horn button emblem is the later style.  Most evident is shading on the snake belly scales compared to the later style . The artwork on the no designation emblem in the picture is the same artwork as the upper GT500 emblem . If that is from Lowell's car it is special and unique because it is different then the later service no designation horn button emblems.  At least what I can tell given the examples at hand. Others may see more. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby