News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Air cleaner nipple

Started by shelbydoug, December 21, 2018, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Where can I get one of these?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Doug,
        I have cut apart valve cover breather caps to get one . Several different styles have the elbows on them. Carefully peel back the rolled over section and it can be reused. Seeing this reminds me I need one too. Thanks!
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

acman63

junker 289 air cleaners from 67-69 fords and merc
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

Quote from: acman63 on December 21, 2018, 10:29:18 AM
junker 289 air cleaners from 67-69 fords and merc

That's what that one is from. Where it is peened over, it's too short to fit through the aluminum 2x4 base.

I need another that can be installed correctly. None of this Merlin the Magician crap stuff.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Same reason I need one. I'll let you know what I end up using. Now that you made me think , the last one I did was a stamped steel dual quad bottom . The one I am doing now is an original 427 aluminum base. "I" believe they are a bit thinner than the repop versions out there now.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on December 21, 2018, 01:14:43 PM
   Same reason I need one. I'll let you know what I end up using. Now that you made me think , the last one I did was a stamped steel dual quad bottom . The one I am doing now is an original 427 aluminum base. "I" believe they are a bit thinner than the repop versions out there now.
    Randy

They definitely are the same elbow, steel or aluminum air cleaner base, just were a little longer at the aluminum base. In fact, maybe they were all the same and the steel air cleaners just had them trimmed a bit?

At the moment, it looks like a piece of 3/8" od copper tube will slip inside the elbow. Then it probably can be soldered, then peened down?

It's a tight radius bend to make on a steel tube.

I'm a little surprised no one anywhere seems to have found an original supplier of these things, even if it's a former employee retired and working in the basement to supplement his social security?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 21, 2018, 03:34:37 PM
    Randy

They definitely are the same elbow, steel or aluminum air cleaner base, just were a little longer at the aluminum base. In fact, maybe they were all the same and the steel air cleaners just had them trimmed a bit?

At the moment, it looks like a piece of 3/8" od copper tube will slip inside the elbow. Then it probably can be soldered, then peened down?

I'm a little surprised no one anywhere seems to have found an original supplier of these things, even if it's a former employee retired and working in the basement to supplement his social security?
It probably has to do with low demand because it is certainly do able.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 21, 2018, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on December 21, 2018, 03:34:37 PM
    Randy

It probably has to do with low demand because it is certainly do able.

One good thing is there is no manufacturer's mark or logo and no DATE CODE!  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kram350

Once installed were they painted black, zinc plated, left natural, etc. Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kram350 on August 14, 2019, 02:30:52 PM
Once installed were they painted black, zinc plated, left natural, etc. Thanks
The later nipples like pictured were typically bare steel although I have seen a few evidence of silver (zinc)plating. The early sand cast bases on the other hand had their unique elbow typically plated the zinc silver . I have a two excellent examples of both style assemblies that I will be posting in the for sale section hopefully later today.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

I've got a spare original GT500 base with pcv hose nipple that I'm going to list on ebay but I thought I would check with you guys to see if anyone "needs" it before I do.  Its the ribbed design S7MS..

shelbydoug

I don't have the factory parts for that set up but I know that you can use a compression fitting to a pipe thread adapter to connect it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 28, 2019, 11:52:20 AM
I've got a spare original GT500 base with pcv hose nipple that I'm going to list on ebay but I thought I would check with you guys to see if anyone "needs" it before I do.  Its the ribbed design S7MS..
I think Bret (Capecodemustang) needed one for one of the cars he is selling or sold .

tonys_shelby

Thanks Bob. I sent him an email. This is the one that matches the lid you bought from me a couple of years ago. I finally found a sand cast base to match my lid.

67GT500#1594

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 28, 2019, 11:52:20 AM

Can I ask what your looking to get for your lower base? I just might be interested. PM me if youd like. Regards, Matt