News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Chrome-tech going out

Started by roddster, December 21, 2018, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

Just read this on the Spotlight Hobbies board:  Chrome Tech USA (from Wisconsin) is stopping his plastic replating business.  Too bad, about a year ago he did some rehroming of the 67 Deluxe dash pieces for me.

tesgt350

Quote from: roddster on December 21, 2018, 09:31:29 AM
  Just read this on the Spotlight Hobbies board:  Chrome Tech USA (from Wisconsin) is stopping his plastic replating business.  Too bad, about a year ago he did some rehroming of the 67 Deluxe dash pieces for me.

We had a Chrome Plating Business here that did pretty good Chroming then they decided to get into Re-Chroming Plastic,  with in a couple years they were gone. 

Richstang

Sorry to hear that news.
I used Chrome-Tech a few times in the past for plating styrene plastic and resin parts. They had a quick turn around and were reasonably priced.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

1967 eight barrel

I tried several places. Most either did a poor job, or the finish was so easy damage during assembly. I sent my original Shelby dash parts and spares to Vaccum -Ornamental. They did a great job, it has a durable finish and the black-out was perfect.
                                                                                                 -Keith
https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/content/restoration

CSX 4133

It seems this service is getting harder and harder to find, I've used this company several times with excellent results. They were not particularly fast, but a lot of that is due to being overwhelmed with work.

https://www.instrument-specialties.com

roddster

My point of view:  in general, the public demands more than what they paid for a service.  At first, it is a part of doing business.  After a while it grinds you down.

Quote from: roddster on January 31, 2019, 09:42:03 AM
  My point of view:  in general, the public demands more than what they paid for a service.  At first, it is a part of doing business.  After a while it grinds you down.

+1

1967 eight barrel

Rod:
I think the real issue is quality has fallen off. There is little to no customer service. I have had Mr G's do my plastic plating. I used accidentally over sprayed with with Windex. It left spots on the finish. I was furious. We all know how hard the right side of the dash is to take apart. I wound up sending everything back out at a cost of 400.00. This doesn't include my time and effort, or the fact I damaged the paint on the metal dash and had to airbrush it and try and blend it.

The EPA is doing the same thing  places like California is doing to the gun industry.  The run the prices up on portions of the hobby so it becomes impractical.
The paint, sealers and primer cost 3,000.00. I have even picked up paint and shipped it to NY, NJ and CA for forum members.
                                                                                -Keith

LegalRevs

I hear its supposed to work pretty well but the kit cost is $1,500 to 2K.   That was about 16 months ago.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on January 31, 2019, 11:07:45 PM
Anyone have experience with this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-wFTUhpT4&list=PLj0RwPKb8PeWq9R8Y5WzEHGGcciD6KTjB&index=4&t=0s

Slight difference I noted in seeing the finished products was that they appear painted/coated with something thicker than the original process. Meaning that sharp edges, lines and details in the plastic are more rounded that if they were "plated" using the original methods.

Just what I noticed on a could of items that had been painted chrome
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

Vacuum Ornamental still uses a process that doesn't have that heavy "dipped" look. The clear they use is also much more durable. I sent some parts to Mr. G's. I used a light cleaner and it damaged the finish. Not so with Vacuum Orniamental's work.

-Keith