News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Clay bar

Started by 557, December 25, 2018, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Folks I am about to use a clay bar system on my 67 for the first time...Car has black paint with painted on gold stripes which was applied prior to me buying the car in 82...Lots of flaws chips,etc.but looks decent from 10 feet...A driver...Any ,tips,suggestions,etc? I am not a huge detail guy and don't want to make things  worse!!  Thank you all,Merry Xmas,happy holidays,and a faster New Year!! Trent

Bigfoot

Great question. I want to hear also.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

NC TRACKRAT

First, wash and dry the car if it's the least bit dirty.  You need to use something like Meguiar's Quick Detailer or Griot's Speed Shine in concert with the clay bar. You can use water in a spray bottle but you get better results with a detailer spray.  It helps if the clay bar is flattened out so that it covers more area.  The warmer it is, the easier it is to shape. Spray on a small area, then slide the clay bar over the wet surface. You don't need to bear down, just slide it. Take a look at the clay bar and you'll see that it's getting dirty where it slid.  That's dirt picked up off the paint.  Knead the clay bar so as to get a flat, cleaner surface, spray another area and repeat.  If the clay bar "drags", you're not using enough spray to lubricate the paint surface. 
   Once the clay bar gets filthy dirty, it's time to replace it but you'll be amazed at how long it lasts.  Depending on how dirty the surface, it can last for multiple applications. Keep it in a small container to avoid it drying out or getting dusty. You'll be amazed at how smooth your paint feels before polishing and waxing. Not all clays are created equal.  You'll get what you pay for.  There are also clays for cleaning glass. 
   Hope the above helps.
5S071, 6S1467

Does the clay dull the finish?Is it essential to polish before wax? Wash between clay and polish? Thanks

CSX 4133

You want to work the clay in straight lines back and forth with light pressure as you run over an area. Divide each area of the car in sections, spraying Quick Detailer as was described by NC TRACKRAT. I always rewash lightly after claying to remove any remaining residue, but it's not fully necessary.
As an aside, there are now clay mits and pads that do the same thing as a clay bar, they are more expensive but are washable and can be used for approx. fifty cars. The nice thing about clay or mits is they work equally well on paint, chrome, glass and even wheels for removing embedded dirt, brake dust, etc.
I personally use a spray on Iron remover as a pre clay treatment, if you've never used it I highly recommend it, especially if you live in an area of the country with a high pollutant level.
You can test your cars surface after claying to see how good a job you did by this old trick.Place your hand into a small plastic bag and run it over the car, if it drags you need to reclay. If your intention is to completely refinish your car I recommend you wash your car in Dawn dish soap, as this will remove all the wax, glaze and sealant from the paint. But only do this if you intend to do a complete paint correction.
Have fun, I find detailing very relaxing.

CSX 4133

Quote from: 557 on December 25, 2018, 12:26:24 PM

Does the clay dull the finish?Is it essential to polish before wax? Wash between clay and polish? Thanks

Claying will actually brighten the paint work, because the embedded dirt, debris has been removed. To your second question, it really depends on the look you are happiest with, a wax can only do so much. When you polish it removes a thin layer of old paint and imperfections, so that when you do wax it brings out the highlights and brilliance.

kingchief

Good stuff.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

NC TRACKRAT

It's good to keep in mind that clay will remove fine grit, dirt, etc. but it won't do anything for fine scratches, imperfections.  Inspect closely under fluorescent light.  If you decide to do anything other than hand polish, use a good orbital buffer, the proper pad and the least aggressive polishing compound that will get the desired results. You may find good results with using a glaze after polishing.  It will fill in the very fine scratches that polishing didn't remove.  Then follow up with your favorite wax. 
5S071, 6S1467

Sfm6sxxx

Time will go quicker if you stand behind your significant other/domestic partner while the two of you work the clay on the car (with Unchained Melody playing in the background). 

6S1114

Dkutz

Clay bar is a must before polish and wax.  A good DA polisher and Meguiars products and your set.  Where are you located?

Quote from: Dkutz on December 25, 2018, 10:29:43 PM
Clay bar is a must before polish and wax.  A good DA polisher and Meguiars products and your set.  Where are you located?    Pasadena ,Ca.