News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 - 427 Thunderbird On EBay ... Buyer Beware?

Started by Mike James, December 23, 2018, 01:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike James

Pretty sure this car never existed except for one that found its way to Tasca.  Z Code, sure strikes me as a 390 car that has been repowered.   Cool car but I sure wouldn't believe that it is factory ordered, especially with that VIN.  Buyer beware

kingchief

SFM 6S406

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

6S1568

Yep, love the interior color combination. It would be striking with the top down.

BGlover67

It states it's 1 of 120, has anyone ever seen another of these?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

98SVT - was 06GT

Ford would have been in deep doodoo putting a 427 in a Z (390) coded car. Warranty, emissions laws etc. I'd wager on further inspection the only thing 427 on that engine is the badge. Also the Roadster moniker was reserved for the 61-63 body style convertibles that got the cover over the back seat making it a 2 seater. This is a normal convertible that without solid provable paperwork is salesmans BS.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

BGlover67

My friend who is a Shelby restorer says it looks like something Ass Monkey would have done.  Perhaps they did, and we'll see it on an upcoming show? :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Side-Oilers

Looks waaayyyy too tasteful and understated for an Ass Monkey creation.

It's not bagged, slammed or patina-painted, nor does it have an off-road wheel/tire strapped to the trunk lid.

But, they did put a rear CA license plate on the front. (Note the month sticker.)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

It looks tastefully done to me....it would be a blast to drive, as stated, and I love that stance.  Tough but classy car.

mark p

Looks like a great car... but it seems unlikely that it came from Wixom in that configuration.
How's that SAAC saying go - "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"?
my understanding - from 11 years of 1965 Thunderbird ownership and VTCI forum following - is that the ONLY engine available in the US was the "Z" code 390 (export cars had a low compression version, code "9").
As noted above, there were NO '65 "roadsters" made by Ford.
I guess that "rare" could also have various translations? Ford made a lot of T-birds back then.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird