Author Topic: CSX production dates  (Read 3492 times)

jwtdvm

• View Profile
CSX production dates
« on: February 21, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
I was told some "facts" the other day which I question---It is my understanding that 3000 series production started in 1/1/65----not sept/oct of 64  as the new Fords would have been. If the MR 427 came out in Feb of 65 did Shelby install no engines in the 427 chassis until Feb? or did his clout get him some MR 427 before official release date?? I am assuming all 427 Cobras with actual 427's were MR.  The statement was also tossed out that all the 427MR in the first 3000 series were prepped/built by Holman Moody?? Any of this true?? I am sceptical.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CSX production dates
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
You need an official response to this by the Cobra Registrar, Ned Scudder. He will explain the official records of engines installed and when.

He checks in here periodically. Any information contradictory to his is just plain heresay.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
I am assuming all 427 Cobras with actual 427's were MR. 

my old car was a low riser.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:16:07 PM »
I am assuming all 427 Cobras with actual 427's were MR. 

my old car was a low riser.

Yes it gets confusing though?

If I said, 30xx's were MR, 31xx were LR, 32xx's were 428's, and 33xx's were MR's, the reaction I would expect is, "who are you?"

That's why I thought it was better for someone with documentary authority to explain it to an newbie which is why I suggest Mr. Scudder?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:28:32 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:05:29 PM »
Ned should be able to rattle them of in seconds  8)

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
Shelby Doug actually has it down well. The problem, of course, is that Shelby American never kept great records with respect to which engine went into which big-block Cobra. (Unlike the small-block cars, where we know the engine number for most, and they were also shown on the cars with footbox data tags.)The first comp cars weren't delivered to owners until the spring of '65, after the introduction of the medium-rise 427. Of course, magnesium hi-rise versions were an option. The first 427 street Cobras were delivered to dealers in the Sept. - Oct. '65 time frame, and from the reports early owners have given us, most 31xx cars were low-riser 427s. As stated, most 32xx cars were given 428s in a cost-saving effort. And early in the 33xx series, they reverted to 427s in a medium-rise configuration. Trying to determine what engine was originally found in which car requires going over factory paperwork for the specific chassis number, but there is no guarantee that the facts being sought will be found there. Clear as mud, yes?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »
We don't call him the Scud missile for nothing? BOOM! Done! Look at that crater he left! "'at a boy".  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!