Author Topic: Stuck window on 67  (Read 4640 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck window on 67
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
Is there any hope of refurbishing the original regulators or is it just best to buy new repro units?  Watching the WCCC video it seems the gears wear out which I assume is impossible to refurbish?

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
I don't know of anyone that restores them. There are still NOS regulators floating around. They were a common failure. However, in all honesty I don't see a reason to justify that expenditure unless you're competing in a class that requires it.
Drake makes a nice reproduction and compared well with my Ford service parts purchased in the 90's.
Be sure to clean up all your guides and tracks. Lubricate all the metal contact points with white lithium and those with felt/rubber contact with a graphite stick during reassembly.

-Keith

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
I recently scored NOS service part regulators. The arms have a C7 #, the chassis body has C6 # stamping. Passenger side is galvanized, I assume it is much newer even though the boxes looked about the same vintage.

I dug them out to make sure they had the '67 shafts on both sides.

They were expensive. Worth it vs.  the reproductions? For a part you might never see? Not sure I can answer that.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
There are still a lot of nice used ones still available from donor cars.I would do that first over a repro. Unless things have changed the repros do not work as smooth as the Ford ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
There are still a lot of NOS units out there. They were offered by ford into the late 90's. The grease hardened and destroys the regulator from the stresses put on the units when the regulators aren't kept lubricated. 

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
Is there any hope of refurbishing the original regulators or is it just best to buy new repro units?  Watching the WCCC video it seems the gears wear out which I assume is impossible to refurbish?
They can be done but ill advised for the beginner. You use the crank gear from a passenger side unit (drivers side used 10:1)
We made special tools to remove/install springs and have correct rivets. Very dangerous without