Author Topic: 5s363 at RM Sothebys  (Read 8819 times)

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5s363 at RM Sothebys
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »
Charles, I do not recall it being that way.  It also now has a 66 drivers fender (threre was nothing wrong with the original).   Ironically, the car was an urban legend in the Buffalo area for many years. It was sold new through Frontier Ford in Niagara Falls.   The guy that finally found it was across the street emptying a septic tank in the country when he saw the tail end in the garage.  IIRC correctly, it took a while for him to pry it out of the hands of the squirrelly   owner.  By the time I found out it was for sale, it sold to Chris L in CT.  Time had taken its toll but it still had   all five of the original blue dots.  Unfortunately, Chris sold those before I bought it.  I ended up picking it up in Lime Rock and dragging it back to Buffalo maybe three weeks after it was dragged to CT.  Interestingly, I live just a few miles from where the car was hiding for all those  years.  I contacted the long time owner to see if he had the tag.  He said he thought he had it somewhere.  I told him  I would give him $1k  if we could find it.   I took the car over there and let him drive it.  We went back to his house and looked everywhere.   To say this guy was a living Norman Bates/Ed Gein would be an understatement.  In addition, he had about 50 cats that ran rampant in the house and garage.  Needless to say, we did not find it.  I am guessing that the urine smell Stan recalls was probably cat and rat.   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:38:43 PM by Sfm6sxxx »

6S1114

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
Who did the restoration?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
SFM6s
Funny story
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
Charles, I do not recall it being that way.  It also now has a 66 drivers fender (threre was nothing wrong with the original).   Ironically, the car was an urban legend in the Buffalo area for many years. It was sold new through Frontier Ford in Niagara Falls.   The guy that finally found it was across the street emptying a septic tank in the country when he saw the tail end in the garage.  IIRC correctly, it took a while for him to pry it out of the hands of the squirrelly   owner.  By the time I found out it was for sale, it sold to Chris L in CT.  Time had taken its toll but it still had   all five of the original blue dots.  Unfortunately, Chris sold those before I bought it.  I ended up picking it up in Lime Rock and dragging it back to Buffalo maybe three weeks after it was dragged to CT.  Interestingly, I live just a few miles from where the car was hiding for all those  years.  I contacted the long time owner to see if he had the tag.  He said he thought he had it somewhere.  I told him  I would give him $1k  if we could find it.   I took the car over there and let him drive it.  We went back to his house and looked everywhere.   To say this guy was a living Norman Bates/Ed Gein would be an understatement.  In addition, he had about 50 cats that ran rampant in the house and garage.  Needless to say, we did not find it.  I am guessing that the urine smell Stan recalls was probably cat and rat.

The stories that go along with these cars, particularly the 65's, never cease to amuse me...the O/O's must have been a special breed. 
65 GT350

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
Who did the restoration?
The person I sold the car to had Paul's Classics in Ohio do it.  My friend saw the car at one of the SAAC conventions and was disappointed because there were more reproduction parts on it than needed to be.  When I got the car, it had every Shelby specific part, clip and tag etc... and I made sure everything went with the car.   The only thing it was missing was the orig carb, someone had converted the dash to a 65 GT style, and it had a Hipo rear exiting exhaust like the 66's with a 69 date code on it.   I picked up a correct carb, converted the dash back, and put a side exhaust back on.   Not too long ago, the previous owner sold some of the original parts on Ebay (bungee cord, engine tag, etc.). and my aforementioned friend bought a lot of them.

6S1114

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
I feel obliged to explain my short "ownership" of about 36 hours.  After a non-stop trip with trailer and faced with a return trip of the same duration in the dead of Winter, I failed to notice/and/or it was not clearly expressed that the VIN plate was missing.  Got the car home only to discover it wasn't there.  One phone call and back on the trailer it went.  12 hours later, the car was back from whence it came.  In retrospect, it all worked out.  We acquired 5S071 shortly thereafter.  It will be interesting to see what the car brings with the re-pop plate.  IMHO, it's somewhat more important than a car having its original block.

5S071, 6S1467

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
It had a Roger Hodayka (not sure on spelling) plate on it.  Your wife had a broken arm, so you had somebody (Swedish?) come pick it up.  I kept (still have)the repop plate so that the new buyer could not say I sold it to him as the original tag.

I bet there are a bunch of cars out there where the owner doesn't know they have a non original tag because they are now weathered.  The "old" guard like Randy, Jeff Burgy, or Jim C. can elaborate, but I thought Hodayka said he got the leftover blank tags from SA and made people send him their tag and he would send back the restamped one. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:57:32 PM by Sfm6sxxx »

6S1114

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »
I think I’ll try to tone myself down next year......
But we are still in 2018.

There is no way an original Shelby tag is more important than an original block.
There is no way it is “as” important.
And for the record it (either item) doesn’t matter to me.
When I buy a car it’s all about the integrity of the body, body VINs, and how much/many  of all the other respective important parts and pieces are genie.
No offense to anyway.
Just my 2c
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
    Bigfoot, no offense taken.  Different strokes, etc.  A VIN tag is a legal item that, if stolen or misplaced, can show up on someone else's vehicle.  The Registrars know of what I speak.
   SFM6S, there was no VIN tag on 5S363 when we picked it up and brought it back.  No one else was involved. My step-son was with me for both trips, all in a 36 hour period.  Neither of us is Swedish. 

5S071, 6S1467

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
    Bigfoot, no offense taken.  Different strokes, etc.  A VIN tag is a legal item that, if stolen or misplaced, can show up on someone else's vehicle.  The Registrars know of what I speak.
   SFM6S, there was no VIN tag on 5S363 when we picked it up and brought it back.  No one else was involved. My step-son was with me for both trips, all in a 36 hour period.  Neither of us is Swedish. 

Stan,
One of us is thinking of another car.  I am out of town, but when I get home, I will dig out the paperwork just to make sure I am not suffering from a Senior moment.  I distinctly remembering that you couldn't come because your wife's arm was broken.  Which I thought was very gentlemanly.  I am sure I have the shipping documents from the guy that picked it up.  Maybe he just liked Swedish Fish.

6S1114

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
You may be thinking of our 6S1467 which is red/no stripes, purchased from Roger Werner.  All original block, VIN tag, etc.  It was picked up and delivered from CT to NC by a guy who was Scandinavian.  (When he unloaded it, there, in the trailer with our car was an original Porsche 550 Spyder in race livery.  I tried to trade, to no avail!)
5S071, 6S1467

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
Can show up on another car. I get that...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 01:00:38 AM »
NAS CAR!  Interesting place for the locker info sticker... or what is that next to the VIN plate? I thought that was in the glove box? I'm looking to just educate myself by asking...
I dug out a bunch of my old pictures.  I forgot that it had a sticker on the rear bumper to get into the Niagara Falls Air Force Base.  I would have liked to have kept that for local nostalgia.  The AFB is a strong deterrent to possible attacks from Canada.  However, any attacks would probably be launched by their Navy (a beaver in a row boat)

In any event, TJ you are correct, the DL sticker was in the glove box.  Also, as Charles noted, the hood latch must have been changed after I owned it.  In fact, when I bought it, it had one of the old school Master locks going through a hood pin. 

The floors of the car were rock solid because the second owner had the foresight to take out the rugs/jute and paint the inside of the floors with Rustoleum Primer.  I am stumped on the reason for the 66 style driver's side fender.  The only area that needed to be addressed was the driver's side rear qtr which had been hit between the door jamb and into the wheelhouse.  When it was repaired, they sectioned in a portion of an nos qtr. which could be seen from the trunk.  When I sold it, I included an NOS FB qtr that I had bought in order to repair it properly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:47:06 AM by Sfm6sxxx »

6S1114

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 12:27:24 AM »
A potential buyer of this car would be well served to give close analysis to the structural spot welds associated with the front clip and the date codes of the component panels comprising the front clip and core support. At best, the hood latch mechanism (?) and LH fender replacement indicate the car has been disassembled/'worked on'/ or 'fixed' by someone without 1965 GT-350 acumen for unstated reasons. Collisions and expedient repair usually account for such unexplained mismatches.
This is not at all uncommon for 50+ year old high performance cars. Usually though, in cars of this value range, the repairs are expertly performed.......and seldomly disclosed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:40:42 AM by camp upshur »