Author Topic: Gas Cap Part numbers  (Read 6353 times)

SCJ3126

• View Profile
Re: Gas Cap Part numbers
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
Thanks Ed!
Current
1970 GT500 SCJ 4-speed
Former
1970 Boss 302
1969 Mach 1 CJ Auto
1969 Mach 1 351 Auto

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »

Here is a picture of the "recall" (I have the rerouted venting in the trunk as well) cap on my 1970 GT500.  Is this correct?

Mike
I have found the cap plated silver instead of black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 09:00:02 PM »
OK, I did some research. The recall included: tap a hole into the filler neck, attach a hard line in the neck and route to the edge for the trunk safely away from the exhaust, (wheel well?) Finish by installing a non-vented fuel cap. Reason was to prevent a fire from sloshing fuel out the vented gas cap, which was directly over the exhaust tips. Probably an over generalization.
GT500 only?

The fuel cap in the lower right hand corner is the one featured in Marcus's article. It did come from a 1970 California emissions Mercury Cougar. West Coast Classic Cougar shared parts for comparison, for research in his article.

Top left cap is a OEM factory 1969 Mercury Cougar cap, also the same as 1969 GT350?
Top right cap "ANTI SURGE VENTED". Stant stamped S, has a one-way check valve built into the cap. Auto parts store replacement cap or later Ford service cap for part number C7AZ-9030-A?
Ford MPC indicates 69/70 Shelby GT350/GT500 without ev/em, Vented-anti-surge-2.47" diameter, part number C7AZ-9030-A.

Bottom left cap "PRESSURE VACUUM". Stant and Autolite marked, also has one way check valve. Different service replacement?
Bottom right cap "NOT VENTED" Stant marked, does not have one-way check valve. 2.25" diameter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:02:23 PM by Krelboyne »
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »
The gt500 428 cj crossflow muffler heated the gas tanks causing fires from backfire or  improper carb settings in the hot southwest heat is where most of the problems were. I have seen several gt500s that never had the recall done but they were northern cars from a much cooler climate area. On the recall the filler neck end vent indent was flattened back so a good seal was made so the not vented gas cap sealed tight to the  now completely flattened neck. This was crudly done by hand with a tool from the inside outward.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:07:49 PM by Special Ed »

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
The gt500 428 cj crossflow muffler heated the gas tanks causing fires from backfire or  improper carb settings in the hot southwest heat is where most of the problems were. I have seen several gt500s that never had the recall done but they were northern cars from a much cooler climate area. On the recall the filler neck end vent indent was flattened back so a good seal was made so the not vented gas cap sealed tight to the  now completely flattened neck. This was crudly done by hand with a tool from the inside outward.

Thanks Ed,
I noticed in the Ford MPC, there is a listing for a 69/70 GT500 fuel filler neck, part number C9ZZ-9034-B.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »
OK, I did some research. The recall included: tap a hole into the filler neck, attach a hard line in the neck and route to the edge for the trunk safely away from the exhaust, (wheel well?) Finish by installing a non-vented fuel cap. Reason was to prevent a fire from sloshing fuel out the vented gas cap, which was directly over the exhaust tips. Probably an over generalization.
GT500 only?

The fuel cap in the lower right hand corner is the one featured in Marcus's article. It did come from a 1970 California emissions Mercury Cougar. West Coast Classic Cougar shared parts for comparison, for research in his article.

Top left cap is a OEM factory 1969 Mercury Cougar cap, also the same as 1969 GT350?
Top right cap "ANTI SURGE VENTED". Stant stamped S, has a one-way check valve built into the cap. Auto parts store replacement cap or later Ford service cap for part number C7AZ-9030-A?
Ford MPC indicates 69/70 Shelby GT350/GT500 without ev/em, Vented-anti-surge-2.47" diameter, part number C7AZ-9030-A.

Bottom left cap "PRESSURE VACUUM". Stant and Autolite marked, also has one way check valve. Different service replacement?
Bottom right cap "NOT VENTED" Stant marked, does not have one-way check valve. 2.25" diameter.
The top left was the cap used on 69 GT350 and GT500 until the recall on the GT500 only to the no vented cap. I would not drive any 69/70 GT500 that is pleasure driven without the recall . I know there are bound to be some out there that it hasn't been done to. It is not prudent to tempt fate.  Do not ask me how I know. ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

richflorence

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
After conversing with Ed, this is the cap the dealer replaced my original one with probably at the first or second service. My GT-350 was built on April 14th and delivered on May 6, 1969. I did think at the time it was different, but never really paid that much attention to it until looking at this thread. After all, it has been almost 50 years.

SAAC member since 1976.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
It could have easy been switched anywhere or at gas pumps back in the 60s 70s the  gas station
 attendant pumped  the gas for u before self-serve days & he would be pumping gas in several cars at one time & gas caps always lined up ontop of gas pumps & most looked the same but a little different as long as they screwed back on. I remember the old gas stations having a box of gas caps left behind from driveoffs back in the good ole days,

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
Hi, I am going to reproduce one  Not Vented gas cap and I tried to identify the straw for vent off the air and I notice something… The vent is part of the filler neck. The neck has a notch that we have to unbend for proper seal with the recalled cap. Special Ed raised it on reply 18. See attach document. Hope it will help someone one day and we dont know maybe save a Shelby from fire.

Patrick
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:25:48 AM by Shelbypat »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
pat do u have an original non vented gas cap to copy & are u going to have them plated?

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »
Ed. I dont have any original.
I am going to make one for me only( I made the correction on my previous post).
Yes I am planing to have it plated but with the squeezed gasket , I dont know how yet.
FYI I have started with AC Delco GT- 23 2 1/2 OD Not Vented stamped. Weld a FE handle.
Regards
Patrick
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:06:56 AM by Shelbypat »