Author Topic: Shame, shame, shame  (Read 1907 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Shame, shame, shame
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
Every day, new people enter the hobby and many have not heard “the stories”.

The case of this 1968 Shelby should be a beacon for everyone.

A few years ago, a car dealer in North Carolina sold a red "GT350" convertible to an
unsuspecting chap from Europe.

There is little doubt anyone with basic decoding skills could have determined
the Vehicle Indentification Number was incorrect.

The following numbers appear on the original North Carolina title: "8R03C102857"
followed by "8T03J116014-00156".  A Ford Mustang manufactured in 1968 only
has an 11 digit VIN. In fact, two apparent Mustang VINs appear on this single title.

The second VIN "8T03J116014-00156" has a Shelby suffix number. But, wait there is
more...There was never a Mustang built with the VIN "8T03J116014". So in other words,
this second VIN is a complete fabrication. 

The car that actually became 1968 Shelby number "00156" is "8T02S116014".
It is a lime green fastback.

So let's review some basics, everyone should know.

Contact the Shelby Club before you by a car and have someone knowledgeable
help you buy a Shelby. In this case, the club had extensive records on the Mustang
convertible and the Shelby fastback.

Dont take a sellers word for anything.

The State of North Carolina DMV has had better days. Some very basic decoding skills
would prove invaluable.

Unfortunately, the buyer in this case has now woven a story that his car may be a "lost" prototype or engineering car for Ford. It was hidden away by a obscure race team so others would not find it.

I find it very hard to believe the seller did not know what he was doing....

I understand every car is not perfect, but please do some basic decoding
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:53:24 AM by Coralsnake »

roddster

• View Profile
Re: Shame, shame, shame
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »
  And DO REPORT to the registrar who you sold the car to in order to keep accurate records of your now former Shelby in the registry.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
+1
Well said
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
I was in a car show in France on the shelby club de france stands, and one guy came up to me and told me a customer off him was asking him to figure out why on his yellow 68KR there was no Ford vin number ... Well, too late to ask !!!!

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
This also should be a beacon for everyone to take heed. I have been in the club for a while. Look me up in the first registry 04152 . Look me up in the second registry . That is when every thing goes side ways. Second registry states that I did not own my Shelby any more some other people did. Peter Disher aka coral snake was checking on the yellow Shelbys and ask me that when I had owned my Shelby was it still yellow. In reply I let it be known that I still had my Shelby and never sold it. He said he would check it out and he did. I got a letter from Doug Waschenko stating that It was some kind of typo that he corrected it. He explained to me at the time they took the owners word about there information, Only problem was that I was the owner not Kenneth Funk. I do not know how I stand in the last edition with 04152 . If it was not for Peter Disher on one of his many projects many years ago for the club. Who knows, Thanks Pete, James

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Also if you have any bodywork done make sure the numbers aren't removed - or if they must be removed keep them with the car do not toss them. I had to replace the inner LF apron on my 66. I cut out a large chunk of the crumpled one with the Ford number. I figured as my welding skills increased I'd hammer weld it back in. Sold the car along with the piece. The right side number and matching HiPo block was all still there so buyer was comfortable it was real.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless