Author Topic: The most famous, and expensive Ford GT.....  (Read 6390 times)

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The most famous, and expensive Ford GT.....
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
Do the Mecums keep anything ?  or is it just about the $$$$$$... ::)

They were willing to pi$$ off Ford when they sold that new GT. I hope it was worth it since I don't recall seeing any Ford sponsorship nor ads at any of their auctions since .

6S1114

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 09:44:27 PM »
I can think if more than 10 of these cars that are far more desirable and rare than this car
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
I can think if more than 10 of these cars that are far more desirable and rare than this car

Not a 40 but not far off...…...and one of the most incredible stories in car world
https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-lola-mk6-gt-prototype-made-the-first-ford-gt40-possible

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »
Yeah, but Mecum doesn't own any of them....

6S1114

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 11:20:10 PM »

Not a 40 but not far off...…...and one of the most incredible stories in car world
https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-lola-mk6-gt-prototype-made-the-first-ford-gt40-possible
That car is tiny. Allen Grant and the car were at the recent LASAAC Show at Shelby's we commented that if they said we could have the car if you could get in and drive it away there would be a very small percentage able to do it. Think 3/4 scale Lotus Europa another car I sold because it was a PIA to get in and out of.

BTW: Being here is SoCal where Dean Jefferies was an Icon I would prefer to have the car as he saw it. Finally finishing it after keeping it all those years as a retirement project.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:22:27 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 01:46:45 AM »
I too saw this car at deans shop. I now own deans 1956 Porsche Carrera and I tried to buy his shop on cahuenga.... sadly it’s now a shop that fixes priuses!

Mikelj5S230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
R those all split windows?..
No, only one of the 5 is, the others are '64s and '66s.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
I like the no reserve comment.  ;)

If you want to encourage everyone else to lay their jewels on the block, you should do the same.

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »
Hi, All,

Man some anti-Mecum stuff on this thread! I don't have a dog in the hunt but I have consigned and bought a lot of cars with Mecum and they have been great to work with. Never "goaded" into no-reserve by any stretch. Yeah, on the block they will try to get you to DROP your reserve but that's their job- to get cars sold. From what I've seen most consignors are unrealistic and Mecum plays the role of saying "hey, your car isn't worth $100k but we have a bid of $60k so if you want to take the money now is the time." Tough job I assume. FWIW they are also the only auction company that I've dealt with that will negotiate big time on their fees to get a deal done. I've had them sell cars for me and NET me more than the hammer price to get deals done meaning not only did they not take a selling commission but they've also dipped into the buyer's commission. Even when they don't do that you see it on the TV broadcast all the time where they'll work a deal to death cutting their take to make it happen. It's entertaining and also shows they know the basic business 101 principle that making something is better than nothing.

Now, auctions like Barrett-Jackson simply don't allow reserves unless you have a special car that exceeds a certain value that they determine. Same with RM, Gooding, Bonhams- the general rule is under $250k you are no reserve or you're not selling a car there. Plus you'll be paying full commission too even if you get your a$$ handed to you! Stand around those sales enough and you'll hear some real horror stories.

As for GT109 I saw this car being restored for Dana Mecum at Harley Cluxton's shop in Scottsdale. I was impressed that Mecum told them he wanted it as accurate as possible- and the number of NOS/ original hen's teeth parts they hunted down to do that. Like original plug wires, tires, etc. I think it's unfair to say somebody "never keeps anything" when they rescued a decades-stalled project, paid what it took to buy it and restored it right, had it on the podium at Pebble Beach and other concours events (it was best in show at the Milwaukee Concours for one) and then sells it after 5 years. It isn't like one of these 2 week flippers we see all over today that call themselves "collectors." I can't speak for Mecum but I know for me the thrill is the hunt then getting a car and making it what I think it should be. Once you win the shows, or the races, or have your fun with it then what? Let's face facts Mecum won't be driving this car on the road, nor will it be raced, and it has won at Pebble, etc so now it is a static piece. A pricey one at that. I can't fault him for changing things up, and not that I'll ever know but seems like a guy can only have so many $11M+ cars laying around?

Just my opinions of course. Seems like a lot of these "up for auction" threads get negative really quickly. I think it's cool that Mecum restored GT109 and is offering it at public sale so we can all live vicariously so I don't really understand the negativity. Compare that to a lot of the stuff I see being sold that is clearly misrepresented or being flipped and I'll take seeing a GT40 being sold any day! I'll be in Florida when it crosses the block, as well as the Super Snake. Should be interesting to say the least, not many sales have the level of killer Ford and Shelby stuff that they'll be selling in Kissimmee.

Happy New Year to you all!

Colin

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
same car at Shelby in 65?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:57 PM »
Tbird lights on the car in the back?

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 04:00:21 PM »
5S010 in back I'd guess Pete?

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »
Noticing the guard standing by the shack, in the background:  Anyone ever tried to track down the SA guard(s) and interview him/them?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
Colin did 5S010 have the vinyl roof?

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
6S001 had the vinyl top

6S1114